IGNORED

Man City Style of Play vis-a-vis Bristol City

cityfan

18 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

For power in this year’s Man City Team I’d point to Walker, Fernandinho, Aguero and I think De Bruyne.

When I think power I don’t necessarily just think of a Viera, Drogba, or Lukaku type figure. De Bruyne on Tuesday was so direct, all his energy directed forward and straight at our goal. Not power in the pure form of weightlifting and raw strength but a direct application of the power he does have. 

Walker and Fernandinho yes...the others not so much tbh.

Definitely De Bruyne had drive for sure, very direct as you say. Game has changed though, PL and strength thesis...not so strong as it used to be IMO (though the PL is certainly without question still the most physical major League in Europe). Physicality too is changing as you say.

Also @The Batman 

• Apart from them being a bit of a bogey team, I see no real footballing reasons as to why Chelsea will get past Barcelona tbh. Last season? Very much so. This season...not so much.
  • Tottenham look good but Juve also good.... Plus CL knowhow- 50/50 IMO.
  • Man City will stroll through and Liverpool fairly comfortable.
  • Man Utd...yeah should go through but don't really convince me as part of European elite tbh- but maybe the addiition of Alexis will change all that! We'll see anyway, the Chelsea and Tottenham games especially 2 fascinating ties.

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

It's still 40 passes and "wake me up when they have a shot". 

Less skillful but more exciting in the past with more direct play. 

Perhaps we need muddy pitches back. 

One of the of the reasons that football has become possession based is because of the change to the back pass rule - Introduced due to time wasting tactics and one Packie Bonner spending five/six minutes walking around his box with back passes.

Arsenal won the league with a direct style and ... 1-0 to the Arsenal, they were strangling games and scored less than 1.5 goals a game.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

• Man Utd...yeah should go through but don't really convince me as part of European elite tbh- but maybe the addiition of Alexis will change all that! We'll see anyway, the Chelsea and Tottenham games especially 2 fascinating ties.

I’ve been listening to the radio all week and hearing people talking about Sanchez playing in the CL, and I’ve been thinking surely he played for Arsenal in earlier rounds.

Its just dawned on me....Arsenal aren’t in the CL :facepalm:

14 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

For power in this year’s Man City Team I’d point to Walker, Fernandinho, Aguero and I think De Bruyne.

When I think power I don’t necessarily just think of a Viera, Drogba, or Lukaku type figure. De Bruyne on Tuesday was so direct, all his energy directed forward and straight at our goal. Not power in the pure form of weightlifting and raw strength but a direct application of the power he does have. 

This is what I was trying to get at. You've explained it much better than I was trying to. I don't expect any sumo wrestling type of strength from the man city players. 

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Walker and Fernandinho yes...the others not so much tbh.

Definitely De Bruyne had drive for sure, very direct as you say. Game has changed though, PL and strength thesis...not so strong as it used to be IMO (though the PL is certainly without question still the most physical major League in Europe). Physicality too is changing as you say.

Also @The Batman 

• Apart from them being a bit of a bogey team, I see no real footballing reasons as to why Chelsea will get past Barcelona tbh. Last season? Very much so. This season...not so much.
  • Tottenham look good but Juve also good.... Plus CL knowhow- 50/50 IMO.
  • Man City will stroll through and Liverpool fairly comfortable.

This is why I love forums, people see the sane thing and interpret different aspects. 

Messi is having another sensational season, but barca (similar to man City this year) have been fortunate that the teams chasing them have fallen so far behind. They are 11 points ahead to ath Madrid in 2nd and 19 points ahead of real Madrid who are 4th. If you attack Barcelona, they are vulnerable defensively.

With spurs, this will indeed be tricky as juventus are indeed a great champions league side. There are fewer bigger fans of dybala than I. But once again, if spurs can win at Wembley and draw over there (easier said than done) but they are better away than at home. 

I can see all 5 going through. 

Watch 4 go through and man city lose on away goals 

6 hours ago, The Batman said:

This is what I was trying to get at. You've explained it much better than I was trying to. I don't expect any sumo wrestling type of strength from the man city players. 

This is why I love forums, people see the sane thing and interpret different aspects. 

Messi is having another sensational season, but barca (similar to man City this year) have been fortunate that the teams chasing them have fallen so far behind. They are 11 points ahead to ath Madrid in 2nd and 19 points ahead of real Madrid who are 4th. If you attack Barcelona, they are vulnerable defensively.

With spurs, this will indeed be tricky as juventus are indeed a great champions league side. There are fewer bigger fans of dybala than I. But once again, if spurs can win at Wembley and draw over there (easier said than done) but they are better away than at home. 

To be fair, Batman, the sides behind City, would, in a normal season, be doing very well, and well in with a shout of the title, it's more a case of us being sensational this season, and us pulling away, rather than the others falling behind.

As for the comment on us going out on away goals, having followed this team for over 40 years, it wouldn't actually surprise me :D (I'm just glad they have just sold two first team players!)

23 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I might be getting the wrong end of the stick, but it sounds like he's distancing himself from tiki-taka football here?

I've read the books on him, when he allowed the authors access throughout the seasons, and they are really interesting. His method of playing is with purpose, designed to get the opposition to be pulled out of position, then bang, switch the play into the spaces left. It works most of the time, and the signing of Ederson in goal for us, was a masterstroke, he is genius with the ball at his feet as well as a very good goalkeeper, and gives us another option for when teams try and close us down high up the pitch.

3 hours ago, MCFC said:

His method of playing is with purpose

This is the key isn't it. Everything has a reason.  Anything that doesn't have a reason is cut out. Every action is always in some way related to causing his team to score more than the opposition.

Simple bleeding game isn't it.

On 1/27/2018 at 14:51, MCFC said:

To be fair, Batman, the sides behind City, would, in a normal season, be doing very well, and well in with a shout of the title, it's more a case of us being sensational this season, and us pulling away, rather than the others falling behind.

As for the comment on us going out on away goals, having followed this team for over 40 years, it wouldn't actually surprise me :D (I'm just glad they have just sold two first team players!)

Dont get me wrong, you deserve to be top.

I've tried to find a league table form this time last year but could not find one, i imagine as Chelsea had been on their run, they were probably around 7/8 points clear of the chasing pack, as opposed to the 12 point gap that you have at present.

But the teams hoping for Champions League football have not helped themselves. Man Utd losing to Huddersfield, Chelsea losing to West Ham, Liverpool losing to Swansea, Spurs drawing most of the time, and Arsenal just being their usual shite self.

Hopefully it can be more competitive next season for us neutrals for the Prem (unless we get there) - this season's winner is sorted, the same in our division with Wolves. 

edit - just found a league table from 1st Feb last year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38727326

Chelsea were 9 clear of Spurs and Arsenal, 10 clear of Liverpool and 13 clear of Man City. 

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 14:53, MCFC said:

It's also when Liverpool's domination came to end. Hmmmmm......... :D

79 - 85 for myself was Liverpool's reign. Back pass rule changed 93. Its a interesting point. People have a view that the way to success for English teams was direct football (exciting). All that passing was boring. Liverpool and Notts Forest arguably the two most successful English teams played often backwards, sideways, it was a possession game. The Europeans then beat England at their own game.

And as a football nation we are playing catch up. 

On 27/01/2018 at 08:49, The Batman said:

That's it- football, forums- all about views, different aspects- it's great as you say.

I think Barcelona are a better side than Chelsea overall personally for example, but definitely don't rule Chelsea out. I think for example Pique, Umtiti and Alba are very good players- RB I have doubts about but Ter Stegen a fine sweeperkeeper. Note when I say very good players I mean in a footballing sense, defensively...perhaps as you say they would get exposed! They have a bit more muscle than the past though, e.g. Paulinho- I think Barcelona will still go through but a very interesting tie for sure.

Could well do it Spurs, just don't see them as quite the same level as last season...but if they kick into gear by Feb then yeah again a very interesting tie.

3 I reckon.

:laugh: That would just be typical football wouldn't it...why we all like it, no guarantee of a sure thing.

Archived