IGNORED

Millwall away

norwichrobin

Just back from the gate, looking at fixtures Mrs Valentine's weekend in Leeds cancelled due to being a Sunday fixture now (she was naively oblivious she was shopping on her own between 2and 6 bless!) as is probably Cardiff away now off due to being a Sunday

My question to you lads and lasses and London reds...is bearing in mind I'm travelling on Me tod  (and will meet mates there all 50 year olds)best places to avoid at the wall, best places to have a real ale and not get a smack. Tube stations to avoid?

Tin hat on gonna be called a wimp but just wanna go down cheer the boys on wiv no hassle!

56 minutes ago, norwichrobin said:

Just back from the gate, looking at fixtures Mrs Valentine's weekend in Leeds cancelled due to being a Sunday fixture now (she was naively oblivious she was shopping on her own between 2and 6 bless!) as is probably Cardiff away now off due to being a Sunday

My question to you lads and lasses and London reds...is bearing in mind I'm travelling on Me tod  (and will meet mates there all 50 year olds)best places to avoid at the wall, best places to have a real ale and not get a smack. Tube stations to avoid?

Tin hat on gonna be called a wimp but just wanna go down cheer the boys on wiv no hassle!

Wiv ! 50 years old . BLOODY KIDS 

thinking of making this the one away I get to this season. Last time I went to the den was about 97ish when they ended up on the pitch at full time with some of our lot using the general chaos to cause their own havoc in the concourse of millwall's west stand :D but yeah, even then, very easy to avoid trouble if you're weren't seeking it. London Bridge area seems the popular area for most teams for safe pre-match drinks, then once you get to the new den, as others have noted, the official walk is extremely well protected. I believe Millwall call it Cowards Walk or something similar! I imagine 20 years since my last visit the local gendarmes are even more on top of their game than ever before. 

Cheers lads, London bridge then tube sorted many thanks, if you fancy a pint Poland red let I know

Sometimes not much fun travelling on your tod visions of wolves away about 4 seasons ago (we were near bottom needed at least a point to stay up) got train from Peterborough and nuneaton got on about 50 lads stone island etc clocked I was going to footy and to be fair were OK until they saw Lincoln at the train platform and all hell kicked off

Survived that ! Left molineux after defeat on me own last one out of ground about 10 wolves picked on me outside saying "sheep s%%gger why arent you running across the car park these days" from know here a lad from glos / cheltenham appeared absolutely smashed shouting "leave him alone" or words the that effect and they did, really saved my bacon! 

If your on the forum mate owe you a pint! 

8 hours ago, norwichrobin said:

Cheers lads, London bridge then tube sorted

Just for avoidance of doubt, not tube from London Bridge, you want trains that stop at South Bermondsey station - SE London is off the grid when it comes to the underground.

7 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Avoid New Cross. Once chased out of a pub called the hobgoblin on deptford high street by some frothing white trash wearing Burberry caps. 

Hobgoblin opposite New Cross Gate station could guarantee you a fight any day of the week, the film star Shia LeBouef got in a punch up in there. It has however closed 4 years ago and changed into a Gastropub called The Rose. Mainly students and arty folks now, I've seen Professor Green in there twice too. 

Very few Milwall ever go in any longer on matchdays. I had six City in there before Charlton two seasons ago. The pubs to avoid are The Marquis of Granby, New Cross Inn, and in particular The Five Bells on the Old Kent Road, which is normally the pub crawl the Burberry boys do before games (and in reverse after).

I live near both the Five Bells and The Rose, but have another local in mind up on the hill a bit out the way for mates staying at mine. It does mean walking the home route to the ground along Cold Blow Lane (now lots of residential cul-de-sacs) or Ilderton, past the local tip, but I have perfected my Cockney accent.

To be fair I saw a few Gas parked on Cold Blow (well Mercury) when they played last season, even with Rovers stickers on their cars, and they had no issues at all - but they had lost 4-0 and kept themselves to themselves walking back south of the ground. I  imagine 99% of City will come London Bridge from North.

So Bermondsey tube station isn’t anywhere near? I’ve been once before years ago by CATS ( got lost, got in for 2nd half) so I thought we might make our own way this time. Don’t normally mind a walk but a bit nervous about this one, was pretty intimidating last time just being in a coach going along the nearby streets!

If it’s best to go to South Bermondsey can I use my Oyster card from Victoria/Paddington or do I have to get train tickets separately? @Olé, you seem knowledgeable, any ideas please?

23 minutes ago, RedM said:

So Bermondsey tube station isn’t anywhere near? I’ve been once before years ago by CATS ( got lost, got in for 2nd half) so I thought we might make our own way this time. Don’t normally mind a walk but a bit nervous about this one, was pretty intimidating last time just being in a coach going along the nearby streets!

If it’s best to go to South Bermondsey can I use my Oyster card from Victoria/Paddington or do I have to get train tickets separately? @Olé, you seem knowledgeable, any ideas please?

Can pay with Oyster Card and any contactless bank card (no need to do any setup) :)

I'd download CityMapper on your phone, perfect for getting anywhere in London.

I think trains to South Bermondsey leave from platforms 14 and 15 at London Bridge. I'll check nearer the time to make sure they're running!

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Just for avoidance of doubt, not tube from London Bridge, you want trains that stop at South Bermondsey station - SE London is off the grid when it comes to the underground.

Hobgoblin opposite New Cross Gate station could guarantee you a fight any day of the week, the film star Shia LeBouef got in a punch up in there. It has however closed 4 years ago and changed into a Gastropub called The Rose. Mainly students and arty folks now, I've seen Professor Green in there twice too. 

Very few Milwall ever go in any longer on matchdays. I had six City in there before Charlton two seasons ago. The pubs to avoid are The Marquis of Granby, New Cross Inn, and in particular The Five Bells on the Old Kent Road, which is normally the pub crawl the Burberry boys do before games (and in reverse after).

I live near both the Five Bells and The Rose, but have another local in mind up on the hill a bit out the way for mates staying at mine. It does mean walking the home route to the ground along Cold Blow Lane (now lots of residential cul-de-sacs) or Ilderton, past the local tip, but I have perfected my Cockney accent.

To be fair I saw a few Gas parked on Cold Blow (well Mercury) when they played last season, even with Rovers stickers on their cars, and they had no issues at all - but they had lost 4-0 and kept themselves to themselves walking back south of the ground. I  imagine 99% of City will come London Bridge from North.

I lived in New Cross whilst at uni. It was when millwall got to the the Fa cup final was pretty wild back then, probably been gentrified since. Near Goldsmiths so you're tight about the arty types.

The Granby is a lairy pub but never went in the new cross inn. 

Was bottled once in the venue if you know that club, proper sh*t tip but I was a massive nause back then so probably deserved it. 

Don't miss south London one bit!

4 hours ago, RedM said:

Trains and overground services within London all accept Oyster and contactless so absolutely no difference. You'll need to touch out at London Bridge tube station and then touch in again in the rail station.

You can change from tube to Overground (ie at Canada Water) as part of the same trip without needing to touch in and out, as Overground is run by TFL. As far as tube, Bermondsey is not even closest station, Canada Water is, but from there you can get Overground to Surrey Quays and New Cross Gate, both of which are closer to the Den. In any case South Bermondsey from London Bridge is closest of the lot.

Amazing that we're discussing this over two months in advance!

4 hours ago, bcfcshorey said:

I think trains to South Bermondsey leave from platforms 14 and 15 at London Bridge. I'll check nearer the time to make sure they're running!

Can be any platform 11-15 but they're all accessed from the same London Bridge concourse (not the same one as to get to Charlton) and except for fast trains, those that don't go via South Bermondsey will go via New Cross Gate, so you'll end up one side or other of the Den.

The London Bridge line via New Cross Gate literally goes along the back of the stand, if they're playing at the time you can get about 3-4 seconds of goalmouth action at each end as the train passes the gaps between each of the two ends.

This is last Saturday the day after Derby (they weren't playing but by coincidence someone else asked me about it). This should animate the fly by, if I've uploaded it correctly :blink:

37E53FED-32ED-4217-A951-DA2F226DE066.thumb.jpeg.c104fd98376afedab32beb9854b0a34c.jpeg

https://giphy.com/gifs/26DMXyVLo4ss0ehMc

8 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Millwall maybe moved as it’s Bath v Leicester at twickenham just a thought

Why would the game be moved because of the rugby? Twickenham is miles from Millwall. I for one hope it is as want to do both mind. 

1 hour ago, wesco said:

Why would the game be moved because of the rugby? Twickenham is miles from Millwall. I for one hope it is as want to do both mind. 

Yeah know that just think the old bill might move it as trains will be carnage? Or can you go bath to reading direct??

Couple of nice pubs at Borough Market and across the road from London Bridge station.

Fairly easy to get to new den as opposed to the old den where I went 30 odd years ago and had one of the most interesting experiences as the Knowle West lot from the Venture Inn turned up outside 10 min in to the match and it “kicked off” big time

wasnt many windows left intact on our coaches and a bit drafty on way home for some

21 hours ago, norwichrobin said:

Nice to know I'm not alone over here!

30 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Couple of nice pubs at Borough Market and across the road from London Bridge station.

Fairly easy to get to new den as opposed to the old den where I went 30 odd years ago and had one of the most interesting experiences as the Knowle West lot from the Venture Inn turned up outside 10 min in to the match and it “kicked off” big time

wasnt many windows left intact on our coaches and a bit drafty on way home for some

Haha, I was on that coach, it was mental outside the ground, loads of Millwall got done which is why it kicked off so badly in the return game at AG, the 70’s & 80’s truly were dangerous times to be at a football match, really glad it’s no longer the case as i’d be worried sick for my young family members, i’d  be a liar though if I said that I didn’t enjoy the buzz of some of it

Blimey, talk about holding hands weeks in advance!

Anyway my summary is; Great people are excited already about going in numbers to a Saturday game not ( yet on television) so a lot if excuses invalid. The chaos in the concourse was hilarious in '97 (?)  that day and 'Wall pooped themselves badly! Maybe our 'big Day out' will be this one if we get organised? Should be a cracker, see you there.

Millwall, safest away ground I've been too. Get tube to south bermondsey, then it's a covered walk way to the away end. They keep you in after the game then just beware that you will be frog marched and crammed onto tubes all the way back to Paddington. 

On 25/01/2018 at 00:43, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Avoid New Cross. Once chased out of a pub called the hobgoblin on deptford high street by some frothing white trash wearing Burberry caps. 

That pub truly is a dump (since reverted to its original name The Rose) and was notorious for trouble but it's nowhere near Deptford High Street. New Cross itself, like Deptford, is rapidly becoming the go to venue for us hipsters but won't trouble those coming from the West.

10 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Blimey, talk about holding hands weeks in advance!

Anyway my summary is; Great people are excited already about going in numbers to a Saturday game not ( yet on television) so a lot if excuses invalid. The chaos in the concourse was hilarious in '97 (?)  that day and 'Wall pooped themselves badly! Maybe our 'big Day out' will be this one if we get organised? Should be a cracker, see you there.

Was that ‘97 , wasn’t it just before half time when they stormed into the away end through the emergency exit, I don’t think they were expecting the amount to come to meet them to welcome!!

i remember 2007 when we lost 1-0 in our promotion season (last away game of season if remember rightly) we literally had at least 500 lads on the trains and i think before or just after half-time about 50 or more lads broke through one of the emergency exit gates to confront the home fans,it was carnage and then the underground after the game was very enjoyable 

Archived