IGNORED

If Lansdown had bought the Gas

Major Isewater

Now we all know that it was thanks to Jon Lansdown that his Dad bought City but SL could have bought Rovers .

I was just wondering what might have happened if Jon, a blessing on his house, had not intervened.

:shocking:

Where would the two clubs be today if SL's millions had been wasted at Rovers ? 

I believe we would still be the top club  in Bristol but the famous gap would be smaller.

What do you lot think ? 

Rovers would probably be about to open the new UWE stadium, or A.N. Other site. 

God knows where we would be, or what Ashton Gate would be like. 

Lets not kid ourselves, we’d be nowhere near what we are, without SL and if Rovers had benefited from his backing, then they’d be much better off. 

However, had we won the 1909 cup final, maybe we’d have been “Man United”

If my Auntie had a cock, she’d be my uncle..!

2 minutes ago, 1stCityExile said:

It's like those "alternative history" novels, if the Nazis had invaded Britain. A dark alternative history of a blue dominated Bristol. Too chilling to think about..

Thought you'd have "swung the other way" judging by your profile picture!

What IF the red army had marched on to Paris?

After being convicted of cruelty to horses, the Financial Conduct Authority would have revoked his financial services licence leading to Hargreaves Lansdown going bust. Steve Lansdown would then be seen, not in Guernsey, but on an old mattress outside of Asda's asking passers by if they could spare a coin for a cup of tea and a new striker. 

Meanwhile to the South, Bristol City make the Championship Play Off  Final, winning one nil against Hull due to a Dean Widearse spectacular own goal (which is shown repeatedly on TV for years to come.)

The resulting Premiership money allows City to build a new stadium at Ashton Vale with ample car parking.

Bristol City's rise attracts a new head coach , Pep Guardiola, and at the time of writing City are favourites for four trophies after successfully defeating Manchester City 5-3 in the League Cup semi final

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Rovers would probably be about to open the new UWE stadium, or A.N. Other site. 

God knows where we would be, or what Ashton Gate would be like. 

Lets not kid ourselves, we’d be nowhere near what we are, without SL and if Rovers had benefited from his backing, then they’d be much better off. 

However, had we won the 1909 cup final, maybe we’d have been “Man United”

If my Auntie had had a cock, she’d be my uncle..!

She must be your uncle then, surely? :ph34r:

However, what if SL buys Rovers to complete his winter umbrella of sports in Bristol?

Would Rovers move to the Gate and Brizz return to their rightful place albeit with a smaller capacity but with new stands (or at least completed ones)?

It wouldn't be the first time two rival clubs outside of Bristol, share the same ground.

Rovers would share AG and would either be left as a separate entity or become a feeder club to us. 

I've never met Steve but you can't rule out the possibility. Financially, it would be a great investment. The ground would be sold for housing etc and a decent return would be made.

All the above is a sequel to the Major's best selling book....

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Where would the two clubs be today if SL's millions had been wasted at Rovers

12 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

However, what if SL buys Rovers to complete his winter umbrella of sports in Bristol?

Would Rovers move to the Gate and Brizz return to their rightful place albeit with a smaller capacity but with new stands (or at least completed ones)?

It wouldn't be the first time two rival clubs outside of Bristol, share the same ground.

Rovers would share AG and would either be left as a separate entity or become a feeder club to us. 

I've never met Steve but you can't rule out the possibility. Financially, it would be a great investment. The ground would be sold for housing etc and a decent return would be made.

Other than the rules that would prevent him from buying a club in the same league structure as us...

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Now we all know that it was thanks to Jon Lansdown that his Dad bought City but SL could have bought Rovers .

I was just wondering what might have happened if Jon, a blessing on his house, had not intervened.

I believe we would still be the top club  in Bristol but the famous gap would be smaller.

What do you lot think ? 

Steve wouldn’t have messed about, he would have thrown money at them. 

I guarantee he wouldn’t of put up with little blue and white gazebo’s, he would have shown his money and got them something like this:yes:

E2B0AF15-A402-4452-8EA4-CCC1075303F2.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Funny you should say that , I've just finished my first novel .

I might read another one soon.

:yes:

A great 'what if' scenario you've set us here Major. I'm inclined to look at the half-empty side of things. With our history of mismanagement, I would have gambled on us veering from one calamity to the next. I believe we would still be the bigger club in Bristol, but that we'd be enjoying regular Bristol derbies while yo-yoing round the bottom rungs of the table. 

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

What do you lot think ? 

I would think we would've had some foreign money/sharks/chancers sniffing around us by now - perhaps even Waelly, imagine it? - and who knows how that would've worked out? Not good with Waelsisname, that's for sure. Tits up and pear-shaped, most probably. 

At best, we'd still be bobbing between L1 and the Championship - taking longer to get up from L1 than to drop out of the Champ - and exiting the League Cup in August.

Harsh reality is that we would probably be where Rovers are and they could be where we are.

The crowd size debate has been done to death on the Bristol Rovers Dustbin thread but with decent financial backing and a redeveloped stadium they would be equally placed in terms of "attractiveness" to new fans.  I remember us in the early nineties when neither club had any money to speak of.  Once Rovers stole the Memorial Ground and claimed it as their own, they had almost the same potential as us in a dilapidated Ashton Gate.

Truth is, Rovers have never had anyone prepared to invest money into the club.  They've had a few who have taken money and a few people who have just about kept them afloat but nothing more than that.  If they hadn't been such to$$ers to Bristol Rugby I would have respect for where they are in L1.

Without Steve and Jon Lansdown, would anyone else have been interested in spending millions on us?  I'm not sure.

The true answer to this question relies upon one person - the identity of whom will never be known as this individual's existence has never been required.

Who would have become chairman / owner of Bristol City Football Club without Mr Lansdown?  Perhaps another wealthy benefactor would've liked to own the recognised number 1 team within such a large city.

For all we know, Richard Branson could have bought us, and we'd now be called Bristol Virgin City.

Come on you Virgins!

24 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

The true answer to this question relies upon one person - the identity of whom will never be known as this individual's existence has never been required.

Who would have become chairman / owner of Bristol City Football Club without Mr Lansdown?  Perhaps another wealthy benefactor would've liked to own the recognised number 1 team within such a large city.

For all we know, Richard Branson could have bought us, and we'd now be called Bristol Virgin City.

Come on you Virgins!

Sounds messy .

BS are interested in promoting successful Sporting ventures in Bristol.

I don't think there's any chance of SL buying a few second hand tents and a turnip patch. If he wanted a circus he'd want one with a big top not a rusty Santa's grotto 

Jon wanted to see a football game.  His Dad, who as a youth went to Eastville, couldn’t be arsed driving all the way to Bath and so took Jon to Ashton Gate instead.  Result, Jon become hooked on us and his Dad went along to games to please his son.

Moral of the story:

Don’t burn your main stand down for the insurance money and don’t move to Bath, if you want a billionaire benefactor.

On 25/01/2018 at 10:53, Major Isewater said:

Reading Peter Godsiff's "Complete History of Bristol City FC", he states that Harry Dolman had two season tickets at Eastville and Rovers invited him to join their board. He attended one meeting as an observer. The Rovers' directors were discussing selling Eastville and renting it back. Harry spoke up saying that was a backward move. He was told there & then that with thinking like that he'd be better off at City.

And the rest is history.

18 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Come on you Virgins!

:noexp:

On 1/25/2018 at 10:53, Major Isewater said:

What do you lot think ? 

Steve joined the board in 1996 when Jon was 12 yrs old and Steve had already been involved with BCFC for a couple of years so that's some intervention for a 10 yr old.

Archived