IGNORED

Ever watched Rovers at home not playing City?

bristolcitysweden

5 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I'm a ground hopper and eventually have to go to the Memorial Ground. The pain would be slightly eased by the fact the gipsys are at Bristol Rugbys ground but..

We are not likely to play them in the near future so..

What was it like?

I trust there will be no replies :yes: 

Yes. I remember playing Ipswich before hand tat Trumpton then had to watch the first team play them after.

Was gut wrenching!

15 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I remember going to Eastville 3 or 4 times in the 70's and quickly got bored with the quality of the football.

I also remember the fact that the IQ of the crowd was lower than I had experienced at any other ground in the league and how much they abused their own players. Nothing much has changed.

As a kid, playing Bristol Junior League, we’d end up playing quite a few teams away at the pitches on Muller Road.  We’d kick off at 1400 or 1430, and through the age groups we’d play 35 minutes each way to start with, so we’re always finished in time for our Manager (a big Rovers fan) to take us into Eastville for the last 15-20 minutes.  Days of Gary Mabbutt, David Williams, Mickey Barrett (rip)....none of them were Mick Harford though....my first City hero.

Remember going to see Rovers playing Preston with my best man (a rapid Preston supporter) at Eastville a million years ago. Stood at the open end with half dozen other hardy souls/idiots and the rain was lashing down. Preston look the lead in the first half only for the gas to equalise mid way through the second. Sadly Rovers got the winner with 5 minutes left. Of course the Tote End went nuts and started singing and pointing at us: 'It's all gone quiet over there'. The few of us looked at each other and burst out laughing. They really are a special lot over there aren't they?

In I think 1968 went on a mystery darts outing from the Princess of Wales organised by the guvnorr Roy Savage to watch the Gas v Swindon. We were booked in as Swindon supporters to get a block of seats in the stand on the gasometer side of Eastville. Swindon won one nil.

In the supporters club after and there were plenty of players in their as well. Then off to a pub on the A38 up in Gloucestershire for a meal and a good old session.

Happy days.

Went with a mate when I was a kid, don’t remember what season but it was the last game of season. They were playing Macclesfield and lost 3-2. After the game some rovers lads ran on the pitch and started having ago at the away end, all 150 of them! 

I believe City were away at Southend and lost 1-0.

I'm 16 years younger than my sister and my brother-in-law is a gas supporter; apart from that he's a great bloke. When I was a kid he must've took me to a couple of games at Eastville but I can only remember the one. I don't recall what season or the score, but it was against Crystal Palace, that's all I can remember.

It's funny, I don't know if it's advancing age on his part or the increasing gap on our part, but he's become a very bitter blue. We can't talk about football now. He's always having a snipe about something to do with us and in previous years I'd take it on the chin whilst being gracious about the gas - hard to explain but I think my siblings still see me as the baby of the family, even though I'm now middle aged myself. But over the last couple of seasons I've given back a whole lot more than I've got - as you can imagine! So now we don't talk football.

49 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I've been once to see Barrow (my second team...) in the Cup, crap away end but was made good with Barrow beating them haha

43 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

My friend is a Hartlepool fan and he came down and we went to watch them at the Mem! Gas lost 1 nil, 100 pool and one city in the away end :) 

33 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Went to Plymouth vs the sags a few years ago, needless to say Plymouth won 3-0 

21 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

In I think 1968 went on a mystery darts outing from the Princess of Wales organised by the guvnorr Roy Savage to watch the Gas v Swindon. We were booked in as Swindon supporters to get a block of seats in the stand on the gasometer side of Eastville. Swindon won one nil.

In the supporters club after and there were plenty of players in their as well. Then off to a pub on the A38 up in Gloucestershire for a meal and a good old session.

Happy days.

11 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Went with a mate when I was a kid, don’t remember what season but it was the last game of season. They were playing Macclesfield and lost 3-2. After the game some rovers lads ran on the pitch and started having ago at the away end, all 150 of them! 

I believe City were away at Southend and lost 1-0.

9 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Yep. Was going to a city away game that got postponed so we went in the Northampton away end. Northampton won 2-1, we started loads of city songs that they joined in with to the bemusement of the slags in the tin pot stand up to the side of us. 

Great day! :clapping:

There's one thing in common in all these posts, Rovers losing!

back in the 1980s I had a friend who worked for club security, that basically meant we got in everywhere free, we often used to join the away fans at eastville and sang our hearts out supporting the opposition, the away fans thought it was brilliant and treated us like royalty, happy days!!

Yes - once, but it was the famous day vs Mansfield.

A subcontractor of ours is one of their main sponsors, and have a box (which at the Mem literally means cardboard box).

As they had beaten Wycombe the week before and knowing I’m City, the smug owner of the company asked if I wanted to go to witness their survival first hand - so I took them up on the offer and had an absolute ball!

Archived