IGNORED

Ever watched Rovers at home not playing City?

bristolcitysweden

I went to watch them the season they went down to the conference on a Tuesday night with some friends who are gasheads....they lost 2-1 to Dagenham & Redbridge after going back 1-0 up early on through Jon-jo O'Toole...same night be beat Peterborough away 2-1 with Sam Baldock scoring twice...I was quite smug to say the least!

Yes, for my sins. In the early 80s I went to Eastville as a 'guest' of some friends of the family. Rovers were playing Spurs, (Spurs won I think). I can't remember all the details, but I think it was a benefit game of some sort. I remember being pretty impressed with Spurs.

Twice. Once as a kid in the late '70s at Eastville. My parents had some Swedish Friends who used to stay with us over Christmas. We would normally take them to see top flight Bristol City FC (as you all know, Swedes love their football), but this particular Christmas City were away. Gas versus Newcastle. I remember Peter Withe playing for the Toon. That's how long ago it was. Second occasion, when home from University I saw an FA cup 1st round match at Twerton Park with my brother. Here is my shocking secret - he is a gashead :o  (My dad was City, I am City, don't ask me how it happened, just an embarrassing family story) 

I have watched Djurgårdens IF, the team Engvall was loaned out to, several times in my youth as it was close to where I live. Remember always wearing my AIK shirt under my jacket. First time allowed to commute to an AIK game was as a fresh 13 year old in October 1974. Last home game of the season playing Åtvidabergs IF on the 30th of October. My two years younger brother is still a Djurgården fan. He don't care much about football though. He was only there to collect coins from under the stand to buy food. The gap to get under the stand was 20 cm. Since long he can not make it and even if he could the stand is since long gone. 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Forgot that period.

Saw Rovers v Pompey at the Gate. Recognised a fair few fellow City fans in the enclosure, no bother though afair.

Remember after the Rovers/Swindon game the police reported there had been trouble and arrests but put it down to 'a 3rd party'.

Ha. They started up city chants before kicking off and and were recognisable as CSF that used to go in the corner of the Grandstand. I pretty sure even the police actually knew who it was :)

Went twice.

First game I ever went to, Versus Chesterfield I think. Somehow my grandad got free tickets. I'd guess I was seven or eight. We were up high watching from behind a glass screen. Everything else I've blanked out.

Went while I was at University so would have been early to mid-eighties. My mate supported Millwall and we drove down on the spur of the moment. We couldn't get in the away end for some reason so we blagged our way into one of the Rovers' stands. I figured we'd try and lay low but my mate wasn't having any of it. He stood on his seat and started bellowing Millwall songs. Funnily enough the seats around us emptied pretty sharpish and we had no bother whatsoever. Pretty funny really as my mate was a toff who'd gone to Harrow and neither of us could fight our way out of a paper bag.

34 minutes ago, Jarman said:

"I also remember the fact that the IQ of the crowd was lower than I had experienced at any other ground in the league"  what a stupid comment .... could you produce some evidence?

I smell gas.

1 hour ago, Jarman said:

"I also remember the fact that the IQ of the crowd was lower than I had experienced at any other ground in the league"  what a stupid comment .... could you produce some evidence?

The evidence of his own eyes presumably? :dunno:

7 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I remember going to Eastville 3 or 4 times in the 70's and quickly got bored with the quality of the football.

Istarted watching City in the 68-69 season, but.......

I went to Eastville for the Watney Cup Final (and yes, I cheered when Dick Shepherd saved the final penalty).

When Cambridge Utd were new to the League they were away to Rovers in the Cup, so I went to see what they were like. I left way before the end because the play was so dire.

I lived near Stokes Croft and used to walk up to Eastville through St Paul's regularly when City were away.

I remember the pies being better but also I felt slightly envious of the atmosphere and the supporters who seemed a bit more enthusiastic than those at Ashton Gate in those days. I did of course, wish for Rovers to lose but was often disappointed.

There were some good players - Jarman, Jones, Biggs, Hall, Mabbut come to mind. I remember watching one evening match whilst standing on the terrace a few yards away from two of my heroes Jantzen Derrick and Jack Connor.

Stopped going so much when I was old enough to travel to away matches.

5 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Eastville was brilliant.  If the football was dire you could always watch the trains.

Two memories of watching Rovers stand out. Losing 3-0 to Leeds at half time in the old division 2 and coming back to draw.  Seeing Rovers, old division 3, have a real go against Everton away in the cup, 1968/69.

Before the M32 was built, Ivor?

6 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Can't remember the reason we went, but went with my dad to see them play Wolves at Eastville. Being massive City family we stood on the Muller Road end with about 3k Wolves fans. Wolves won 6-1 with John Richards and Alan Sunderland up front.

I was there, it was 5-1. I think you may be getting confused with another game in Bristol that Wolves won 6-1.

Went to a Rovers “home” game v Swindon down AG when they were homeless for a few weeks back in the 80s.

Organised by the “General” (those ITK, will know who I am on about), City had no game so a load of us decided to go down AG. There was 200+ City down AG and we were there in no.s all round the ground. Yeh it got a bit tasty as a lot of us got kicked out the ground by the OB and we just decided to all wait in the Park on a nice sunny day until 4.45pm.

But we were on a good run at the time and it was so funny for them to be in our ground for a home game with us there singing “one man went to mow” and all the rest. A Rovers fan I know still has nightmares about that game. Great day.

Imaging us having to go to the Mem to watch City play a home game!!! 

5 hours ago, OneCity said:

Yes, for my sins. In the early 80s I went to Eastville as a 'guest' of some friends of the family. Rovers were playing Spurs, (Spurs won I think). I can't remember all the details, but I think it was a benefit game of some sort. I remember being pretty impressed with Spurs.

Any idea of the date? I went to that through school. 50p a ticket. It was a Gary Mabbutt organised charity match in aid of some cancer charity. 

I remember my uncle taking me to see Rovers play a league game at Ashton gate as he said they might go out of business I was like 10 and 42 now. They were 2-0 up at half time vs Swindle and lost 2-3. The funny thing is I went with my Gas cousin to watch England U16 at mem too and my City uncle ripped me a new one saying I was lining rovers pockets :laugh:. Never been since

No, never have and probably never will.

Have got mates who are City fans who, due to sponsorship connections have often asked if I want to go to a gash game including free hospitality. Can't do it. Maybe I should go and drink free ale but I would feel somewhat......sullied.

And also, I haven't had me jabs lately.

Archived