IGNORED

Ever watched Rovers at home not playing City?

bristolcitysweden

20 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

My Dad (who passed away 3 weeks tomorrow)  never got the rovers hate. He was City through and through but could name some great rovers players from the 50s,early 60s.

Sorry to hear of your loss Stephen.  Many of us back in the day were City through and through but just enjoyed watching football one way or the other just like your Dad.  May he sleep well and keep his eye over us. I wish you only the best for the future. Good luck my friend.

Nearly, but not quite. Around 2010ish, a couple of Brentford supporting mates came up for a game vs the blue few. I joined them for a few jars in town and they pulled my leg into paying on the day and standing with them in the away end. The closer I got to Gloucester road and the more blue and white quartered clown outfits I saw, the more I realised that I couldn't go through with it and enter that cesspit. So I bailed out at around 2:40 and went back to town!

6 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Nearly, but not quite. Around 2010ish, a couple of Brentford supporting mates came up for a game vs the blue few. I joined them for a few jars in town and they pulled my leg into paying on the day and standing with them in the away end. The closer I got to Gloucester road and the more blue and white quartered clown outfits I saw, the more I realised that I couldn't go through with it and enter that cesspit. So I bailed out at around 2:40 and went back to town!

Some of us have become infected.  There was a time when it was quite normal believe it of not.

Went to watch Rovers play Wolves in the Watney Cup in 1972. My brother - late of this parish - had Wolves as a second team, hence the visit on a lovely summers day as I recall. To my immense shame I delighted in Rovers beating them...such is sibling rivalry...

My old man took me down Eastville to watch Fulham when they had George Best, Bobby Moore and Rodney Marsh. He said he always wanted me to remember watching England's world cup winning captain and the best player in the world (George) I was about 6 or 7 and can't remember much about it!!!!

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Went to watch Rovers play Wolves in the Watney Cup in 1972. My brother - late of this parish - had Wolves as a second team, hence the visit on a lovely summers day as I recall. To my immense shame I delighted in Rovers beating them...such is sibling rivalry...

Yes, but a day you will always remember always for non footballing reasons.  Good luck !!

I am VERY VERY SORRY but have to say yes

Gas mates of mine had VIP tickets for a game v Cheltenham

They were having a day on the lash around Bristol then off to the game

Went out with them Then used one of their season tickets

Dont pay for the ticket or buy anything at the ground (food or drink)

Ps Cheltenham won 1-2 

Once again very very sorry

21 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Have to confess to doing this dozens of times . Used to go in the away end at Eastville to support the away team ! I was in the Chelsea end when they famously ripped the stadium and Stapleton Road to bits . That was an experience I'll never forget !! 

I was there then, the Chelsea lads knew we were City and were as good as gold. I think that was the one it was carnage on Stapleton road. Hardly opened my mouth on the way home, what with gAssheads being thrown off of the subways apparently.

21 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

early-mid 1980s (?) paid to watch gas v swindon at ashton gate. No idea why. Accidently stood near city hoolies (yes city) when they tried to kick it off in the enclosure.

At that one too, about 40/50 of us went in the Dolman, and promptly got thrown out.

15 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I was there, it was 5-1. I think you may be getting confused with another game in Bristol that Wolves won 6-1.

At that one as well, 5-1 someone sprayed that score over the subways by the tote end, along with City slogans Good Wolves team that :clapping:

My old man is actually a r*vers fan. Well he's not that bothered but sides that way. He took me to a game at twerton once and also he took me to their playoff final at Wembley against huddersfield. I was only young but was the only 1 singing on their minibus on the way back and remember getting threatened with a smack a few times!! I loved winding them up :)

Luckily for me my friend and his dad regularly went to city and always offered to take me. Also got free city tickets through school and got hooked!

Done it twice, both at Trumpton. The first was getting roped in by a g*s mate to go to a cup replay v Reading which Reading won 1-0. We stood on the side and I spent the whole time after Reading scored with my fingers crossed they would hold on - I think there was a decent tie in the next round for the winners.

The other was on the away end when they played Exeter in the LDV(?). I can`t remember the result but there were loads of City in there - it was funny watching the perplexed looks on some of the plod`s faces when they recognised people they thought they knew but weren`t quite sure what they ought to do about it.

17 hours ago, Pound Lane Red said:

Any idea of the date? I went to that through school. 50p a ticket. It was a Gary Mabbutt organised charity match in aid of some cancer charity. 

No idea of exact date I'm afraid, but I'd put it around '83 or '84. The one I went to wasn't Gary Mabbutt, it was organized for the benefit of Tim Parkin - I believe his son had cancer. I'm pretty sure that's what it was, and how me and my Dad got dibs on decent seats, as he was a friend of the family.

I think watching both clubs was fairly common in the 1950s and earlier.

My dad was City through and through and he told me he often popped up to Eastville if City were away and he fancied watching a match.

I think one reason would be that travelling away would have been less affordable for the working class fans back in those days, and of course there were fewer cars and no motorway network. 

Very very different times.

3 hours ago, red84 said:

My old man is actually a r*vers fan. Well he's not that bothered but sides that way. He took me to a game at twerton once and also he took me to their playoff final at Wembley against huddersfield. I was only young but

**was the only 1 singing on their minibus on the way back and remember getting threatened with a smack a few times!! I loved winding them up :)

Luckily for me my friend and his dad regularly went to city and always offered to take me. Also got free city tickets through school and got hooked!

** What's Robboreds driving like?  :whistle2: 

Yes. A boring 0-0 playing Paul Ince's Macclesfield side. City were away to Forest on that day and I was listening to commentary of the match the whole way through. Macclesfield even had a man sent off and rovers still couldn't break them down. Awful football. My best mate at the time was a Rovers fan and I agreed to go and watch them with him if he came and watched the City.. can't remember what the City score was though but i believe we won.

On 1/27/2018 at 13:09, tommy32 said:

Not at the Mem but in 1995 I think it was went to Wembley to watch them in playoff final against Huddersfield. A few of my old man’s friends were Gasheads but even as a 10 year old I knew this was wrong. I insisted on wearing my BCFC green and black replica goalkeeper top with Welch 1 on the back! Somehow got out alive. 

was at the same game, went mental at the final whistle, 2-1 to hudds from what i remember.

Been to see the gas a few times. Birmingham City at Twerton, 3-3 match last game of the season stands out. Rovers were relegated i think, and there was trouble kicking off everywhere with pockets of Blues around the ground. Very bizarre game, recall a penalty hitting both posts before bouncing away. Ended up on the pitch at full-time trying to get away from some rovers lads who realized I was city. 

Forgive me father for i have sinned.....and as recently as a few weeks ago !  I met a few Pompey mates of mine at the Horfield Home for the Mentally Inadequate only for the day to go t**s up with some clown in blue and white quarters scoring the winner in the 90th minute and one of my mates getting separated from us after the game and jumped by some of the blue few ! ....well he IS over 60 so he was in their 'target demographic ' i suppose !

Went to see Brian Cloughs Brighton at Eastville January 1972 ended 2-2 can't remember much about the game, rovers fans got hold of a policeman's helmet and would not give it back, kept throwing it up in the air shouting "coppers lost his helmet". Also remember cars stopping on the M32 pretending to have broken down watching the game for free, police quickly moved them on. Rovers fans sang some quite racist songs put new words to Nancy Sinatras "These boots are made for Walking"  Strange the things you remember 

Archived