IGNORED

Punching Above Our Weight

freezer

Colin Murray said it again tonight on Channel 5.

It has been mentioned many times this season, but we're where we are due to our performances, which have generally been fantastic.

I'm quite happy for people to keep thinking that we are 'punching above our weight' but look out, even a middleweight can land a knock out punch on a heavyweight.

I've seen nothing this season that doesn't convince me that we are not as good or even better than any team in this division.

So for all those that keep saying little old Bristol City, watch this space.

Up The City

Why are we any different to the likes of Brighton or Huddersfield who prior to going up struggled in this league. Our crowds are 20k+ and we have beaten four Prem teams that includes Man U and taken one of the best teams in Europe close over 2 legs. 

Do they not get it that this club isn’t the backwater club from the South West anymore and this season shows that. We are nearly two thirds of the season through and still not being taken seriously. We are probably one of the best footballing sides in the league full of young exciting players

Well let’s see what they are saying come May and we are hopefully promoted as runners up to Wolves

I think LJ is right that with this young group of players we’re only going to get better. Particularly with the new additions and injured players returning so we can rotate a bit more.

I think if it wasn’t for losing so many important players to injury we would be in second and pushing Wolves hard. 

2 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Do they not get it that this club isn’t the backwater club from the South West anymore and this season shows that. We are nearly two thirds of the season through and still not being taken seriously. We are probably one of the best footballing sides in the league full of young exciting players

Well let’s see what they are saying come May and we are hopefully promoted as runners up to Wolves

The 'backwater' perception of Bristol City has become ingrained in the national psyche basically because in our entire history the club has achieved nothing of national importance. 

Important target hit today 50 pts. To do this in January is a fantastic achievement.

Back in August before a ball was kicked not many fans would have seen this happening. 

We were one of the favourites to go down!!  Bit like Leicester when they won the premier league momentum is everything!!

7 minutes ago, Red Army 79 said:

Important target hit today 50 pts. To do this in January is a fantastic achievement.

Win the next game and we’ll have matched last season’s points tally with 16 games to spare.

We’re having an excellent season, and long may it continue; whether the national media loses interest now we’re not playing the like of Manchester United or Manchester City every other week, I couldn’t care less.

If the squad keeps improving and the results keep stacking up, it could make the next few months very interesting. 

Unlike in 2007/08, I don't feel as though we are all going under the radar or underestimated at all. The fantastic cup run has put paid to that. Quite the opposite in fact. I've never known a time when this club has enjoyed such positive press from so many angles. 

It's natural that we are seen to be punching above our weight as we are excelling with little addition to the squad which nearly got relegated last season. 

Punching above our weight?? Its an interesting statement. We are in a league with 23 other teams. All of them deserve to be there by merit of the system. Some are expected to do better than others, of course. But on day 1 every team starts as an equal. 

Are we doing better than expected, certainly, punching above our weight?? Maybe. 

40 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Where will Wolves be end of season? When do the EFL audit FFP? Brilliant team built how and for how much? Can’t for one minute believe that they have achieved their current status within the rules of the EFL.

The thing is... Unfortunately they might have.

Allowable losses over 3 years? £39m. That'd be at Championship level for any side. Accounting period 15/16 to 17/18.

One year , think it was 15/16, they made a £6m profit. Therefore, permitted losses over next 2 years? £45m.

Wolves run quite pragmatically before the Chinese investment too. All helps.

That would be without even looking in more depth at FFP rules more specifically...

Also not just about money but how it's spent. Villa spent loads last year. Boro a fair whack this year... Wolves spent very well though IMO (helped a fair bit by Jorge Mendes, Nuno managing in La Liga and CL helped a bit too).

We are one of the only sides in the championship not to play in the Premiership, if everyone wants to think that we are punching above our weight let them it means they underestimate us. Just like the 4 premiership teams we put out of the cup.

Man City had to put out a near full strength team and required 2 injury time goals to win both legs. 

Genuinely think we have a chance of going up in 2nd now. Today clinched it for me - controlled the game and got three points with ten men. Quality coming off the bench and genuine competition for places now and options to rotate and keep fresh. Others to come back from injury soon. Lois looks a real handful and whilst Bobby has done a sterling job up front by himself the team has much better shape and a different option with Fammy back. Best City side I’ve seen. February fixtures are huge.

9 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yep- Colin Murray .

Axed from MOTD2 , left radio 5 and talk sport- Irishman who supports Liverpool.... no Leeds... oops no make that Pontypridd.

Basically a career in click bait comments who many can't 'weight' to punch.

Actually, I like the bloke, met him once and was a genuine football fan.

You will also find that he has been raving about City, Johnson, and our style of play for a lot longer than any other pundit and, to be fair, for a bit longer than some of the posters on this forum...

Nobody has won or lost anything until the maths proves it, especially in this division. It’s totally arrogant (aside from Wolves who are head and shoulders above the rest). 

That said, on paper (many before have said football isn’t played on paper) at the start of the season we were definitely a lower half of the table team.

what changed? A couple of things.

1) Very shrewd recruitment of players and disposal of others.

2) Raducal improvement of the squad, across all of them. 

3) A belief we can win and a never say die attitude.

To achieve all of this is as a result of amazing leadership and onboarding to a strategy.

I’ve been a fierce critic of Lansdown in the past. But finally he has the right men in the right jobs, who all believe in what he wants to do.  And I think he got rid of some of the “yes” men - what did Colin Sextone ever do for this club?

Are we punching above our weight?

Yes, we are. Be proud of it. 

I watched the championship this morning and tbh, I couldn’t see anything to be offended by. The context of the comment was leading in to talking about how we may struggle to keep hold of players due to how well we’ve done - which is no different to a lot of opinions on here.

As a side note, the show also highlighted that Tom Cairney and Lasse Vibe weren’t playing for their respective clubs due to interest and pretty much stated Cairney had a suspect injury. The keeping hold of players was a theme on the show and I’d rather be “punching above our weight” and have players who want to play despite interest than the other option.

(Finally CM has been nothing but complimentary about us this year - apart from accusing @Olé of drinking last night!   - very much picking on the wrong target)

Archived