IGNORED

Songs...

Rich VFR

2 minutes ago, Redstreet said:

“you’re a legend Hörður Magnússon , more than you’ll ever know Oh Oh !  I think are the words sung to tune of “ Mrs Robinson “

"Here's to you, Hörður Magnússon, City love you more than you will know, woah oh ohhh"

13 minutes ago, YoungRed said:

On the topic of songs can we please stop the "we're all singing over here tour not singing over there" chant. Reminds me of one of those embarsssing American soccer chants

Which is exactly where it came from. We sing it because it’s shit, yet rather funny to do so. It’s having a bit of fun. 

50 minutes ago, Harry said:

I put this on another thread but think it’s worth putting on here too, in reply to the above 2 posts. 

In regard to song choice, yesterday was always gonna have an added ‘anti-gas’ theme, what with Hollowhead being there. 

However I do think it’s a tad harsh to say we didn’t sing motivational songs or those that others could easily join in with. 

We sang ‘Red Army’ about 4 times yesterday, only once could I see it spreading all round the ground. We sang ‘Red Flag’ a few times, ‘Ole Ole Ole’ countless times, ‘By far the greatest team’, ‘we love you City’, ‘Ee I ee I o’. All songs which everyone should easily be able to join in with. It’s only ‘Come on you reds’ which reverberates around all stands. 

We also sang players songs such ‘Here’s to you Hörður Magnússon’, ‘we fell in love with marlon pack’, ‘joe Bryan one of our own’, ‘he’s here he’s there Korey smith’, ‘bobby, bobby reid’, ‘na na na na, diedhou’, ‘Flint said no’. Plenty of songs to get ‘behind’ the players. 

Yes there were plenty of anti-gas/hollowhead songs, but there was plenty more that were pro city / players. 

I could count over 15 songs we sang that have nothing to do with Rovers. 

As for the ‘same old’ cheer up Holloway comment, I think we had a few more than just that one for him yesterday. ‘He’s only a poor little gashead’, ‘sacked in the morning’, ‘ole ole, ole ole, Holloway’s a ****’, ‘there’s a bald gas winker over there’. Plenty more than just ‘cheer up’. 

In total, I think we sang at least 27 different songs yesterday. Over 15 of them had zero to do with rovers. I don’t think there are many (if any) clubs out there that sing as much a variety as we do. 

Could you email me the excel spreadsheet of the song analysis from yesterday?

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Which is exactly where it came from. We sing it because it’s shit, yet rather funny to do so. It’s having a bit of fun. 

I did think that might be the case to be fair. Now it's confirmed then I guess it's not to bad. Was very worried it was a serious chant

3 minutes ago, YoungRed said:

I did think that might be the case to be fair. Now it's confirmed then I guess it's not to bad. Was very worried it was a serious chant

Yep. It was never meant as serious. It’s a pisstake song of the awful original from US, but has actually and amusingly found its way into our regular repertoire. 

I like it. It’s funny, easy to join in and is a song that is totally being able to laugh at ourselves. 

6 hours ago, kivsy said:

I like to sing most songs , some from the days doobie doobie do , even the ten men went to twerton , which returned yesterday 

I sing about rovers as they are our local rivals , how crap they are etc. I don’t get the let’s not sing about them ?  What next don’t sing come on you reds cos other teams sing it.  The more picky with songs we are that then means we repeat songs more often , I’m sure some people that comment don’t sing themselves ! 

They were both sung yesterday.

6 hours ago, marmite said:

Possibly might get more people joining in if we sang more about City and less about Rovers.  We are all at the Gate because we love City not because we dislike Rovers, so lets encourage that feeling with the choice of song/chant. Some of us older ones don't actually hate Rovers, they are insignificant, but we certainly don't want to hear about them while watching City. I join in all the encouraging songs but when its about the Gas I just sigh, and I am not alone among them around me.

I'm 27, don't think this is necessarily something just for the older fans! For me I have to think back to being in primary school for us playing Rovers regularly. I really don't care about Rovers much. Got far more hate for Cardiff and Swindon over the years, but I'd always rather just sing about us, the opposition care even less bout rovers! Keep it city or aimed at the opposition I say!

6 hours ago, marmite said:

Possibly might get more people joining in if we sang more about City and less about Rovers.  We are all at the Gate because we love City not because we dislike Rovers, so lets encourage that feeling with the choice of song/chant. Some of us older ones don't actually hate Rovers, they are insignificant, but we certainly don't want to hear about them while watching City. I join in all the encouraging songs but when its about the Gas I just sigh, and I am not alone among them around me.

Totally respect your views mate, but I have to disagree. I’m one of the older gits but I’ll never forget when Rovers were above us during our lowest and darkest days....and they tried to pinch Ashton Gate for naff all.....that left a very bad taste and is one of many, many reasons why I dislike that mob who play in the ridiculous kit....

12 hours ago, Rich VFR said:

Fairly new ST holder here.

Really enjoying the atmosphere and will certainly be renewing next year. 

I'm keen to join in with the vocals but there's a couple of chants I can't quite make out from where I'm sat. 

There's one to the tune of 'Piranhas' by Tom Hark? 

Thanks in advance!

“Welcome” by the way! And cheers for bringing up the cool Piranhas tune - I mean the real one, not the chant...!

Hi everyone, me and my lad new season card holders this season (S24) though lve been at the Gate many years back to the Ashton 8 years! Seen alot through the years but have to say it's the best lve ever seen the club stand. 

Confidence and commitment on and off the pitch is just bloody incredible and clearly built on superb foundations from Mr Ls investment. 

Being a keen singer l love to join in, some songs make l laugh, some make me proud and some are just nostalgic - back to the old East End days!!! 

What happened to "the referee is full of sh#T"? Classic imo and would have been extremely fitting yesterday!!! Ref yesterday was worse than the Burton referee and deserving of the grief, in fact we have better kids reffing the woodspring junior league! 

Just wondering how songs are suggested?  As a singer lve a few ideas!!! Mainly about the lads (Reid, Diony, Fam and Pack) any suggestions. 

40 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Can we change the words to Red Flag Flying High? "Cider 'eads until we die" is a bit...cringe. I drink lager sometimes.

Actually most of those in the singing section drink lager too (they haven’t graduated to real ale yet). I think songs about cider are more to do with it being strongly associated with the West Country and Zummerzet rather than what anyone drinks. 

9 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Actually most of those in the singing section drink lager too (they haven’t graduated to real ale yet). I think songs about cider are more to do with it being strongly associated with the West Country and Zummerzet rather than what anyone drinks. 

Indeed Sir. It’s just a West Country thing. However, you’ll be surprised at how many in the area will have graduated to real ale - ages range in there 2 to 82 I reckon.  

10 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Can we change the words to Red Flag Flying High? "Cider 'eads until we die" is a bit...cringe. I drink lager sometimes.

Ok, but it's one more step nearer to being a little too much like - and indistinguishable from - Reading FC. If we are not the "Cider Army," what are we?

Does this help?

Drink up thy preferred beverage

Drink up thy preferred beverage

For tonight we'll have a couple, but not too many as we don't want to over do it as some of us have work tomorrow

We'll support our hard pressed dairy farmers by not knocking their milk churns over

It is no longer appropriate language, may be considered harassment and a criminal offence to suggest we 'roll 'em in the clover'

The corns half cut due to a lack of EU farming subsidies after Brexit

And so be we

6 minutes ago, DavidNoble said:

Marlon

PACK

in the middle of our team

huge favourite wish it was belted out more. He certainly deserves it. 

Not a fave amongst the City fans I know....most say the lyrics are well out of sync....it would sound so much better if it was just......”Mar...Lon, in the middle of our team..”

Archived