IGNORED

Brand Beckham

Bubble

There is no disputing Beckham made the most of what he had. Not a world class player, but a player who not only played for some of the top clubs in the world, was one who always put a shift in. He was a trier he carried England often and pushed every time. That said With the news today Beckham will get a Miami franchise, but unannounced when this team will start to play I feel his relevance to attracting the modern player is diminishing and this may be a step to far 

He was a very limited player, but like you said OP he still managed to do well for himself and always gave 110%. I suppose that is all you can ask for even if you dont have the talent.. I believe he would have stayed at United his whole career by the way if Fergie and him would have seen eye to eye.. i dont think Beckham deep down had an real desire to play for Real + AC etc.. at least not for footballing reasons anyway.

Interesting to hear that part of the deal that took him to America in the first place included a clause that allowed him to obtain a new franchise at a cheap rate. He's made a killing just in this instance; will he make even more millions from the game now?

28 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Interesting to hear that part of the deal that took him to America in the first place included a clause that allowed him to obtain a new franchise at a cheap rate. He's made a killing just in this instance; will he make even more millions from the game now?

That is interesting....tell us more...how do you know his contract to join LA Galaxy included a clause to obtain a cheap franchise over 2,700 miles away in Miami?

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That is interesting....tell us more...how do you know his contract to join LA Galaxy included a clause to obtain a cheap franchise over 2,700 miles away in Miami?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42864461

'Beckham exercised an option in his contract with former side LA Galaxy to buy an expansion franchise in 2014'

Very clever of him to have that clause, MLS is only likely to get more popular. 

world class doesn't have to mean you regularly take the ball round eight players, or that you bag 35 goals a season, or that you bamboozle defenders with 70 tricks.

World class surely means you slot into the best sides on the planet and do your bit to make them all that more complete - and that he did with aplomb. 

I'm not a fan of his (both on or off the pitch), but listening to people talk about his limited talent or his lack of world class credentials is bewildering. You don't get to excel under managers like ferguson simply because you're good looking; you don't captain england (when we were half decent) just because of your PR image.

As a player he was more of a water carrier than an entertainer (which was completely at odds with the mega star credentials), but that doesn't mean he wasn't world class...

7 hours ago, bris red said:

He was a very limited player, but like you said OP he still managed to do well for himself and always gave 110%. I suppose that is all you can ask for even if you dont have the talent.. I believe he would have stayed at United his whole career by the way if Fergie and him would have seen eye to eye.. i dont think Beckham deep down had an real desire to play for Real + AC etc.. at least not for footballing reasons anyway.

Wish we had limited players like him.

Beckham v Greece 2001 was one of the single greatest individual performances I’ve ever seen. It wasn’t about the talent that day, it was about the sheer will to win. He was everywhere on the pitch, played like a man possessed while his colleagues were falling apart, and then casually rescued the entire qualification campaign with a brilliant free kick at the end. 

8 hours ago, Bubble said:

There is no disputing Beckham made the most of what he had. Not a world class player, but a player who not only played for some of the top clubs in the world, was one who always put a shift in. He was a trier he carried England often and pushed every time. That said With the news today Beckham will get a Miami franchise, but unannounced when this team will start to play I feel his relevance to attracting the modern player is diminishing and this may be a step to far 

At his peak Beckham was a world class player of his day. His work rate, passing and control of the ball were unbelievable.  Im sure people who saw him ply between 1999 and 2003 would share the same opinion.

A very limited player?

Im a very limited player!

During a 3/4 period Beckham was world class and any manager of the day would have picked him in his squad.

Not the best player in the world, agreed, but definitely world class.

Limited player? No talent? 

A prime Beckham would walk into any team in the world today!

OK he may not have been the best at tracking back and tackling and not the fastest player in the world but his passing ability, his crossing ability, his shooting ability and his ability to score crucial goals means you can forgive him for what he did lack.

Very few players in world football today have the abilities I've already listed.

Not world class? Wow..

I watched him a few times for England live, and the only way to appreciate his contribution to a match was live.

He covered more ground in each game I saw than any other player on the pitch. He didn’t run past people precisely because he got himself into a great position before getting the ball. 

To suggest anyone could achieve the caps, games and clubs he did without being world class is surprising. 

2 hours ago, poland_exile said:

world class doesn't have to mean you regularly take the ball round eight players, or that you bag 35 goals a season, or that you bamboozle defenders with 70 tricks.

World class surely means you slot into the best sides on the planet and do your bit to make them all that more complete - and that he did with aplomb. 

I'm not a fan of his (both on or off the pitch), but listening to people talk about his limited talent or his lack of world class credentials is bewildering. You don't get to excel under managers like ferguson simply because you're good looking; you don't captain england (when we were half decent) just because of your PR image.

As a player he was more of a water carrier than an entertainer (which was completely at odds with the mega star credentials), but that doesn't mean he wasn't world class...

Strange that, a ball playing midfielder. Not get the plaudits he deserves. Probably would've been a scapegoat in our team.  :P

• Admin
10 hours ago, Bubble said:

R5 saying his team will start playing in 2020

1 hour ago, redsontour said:

Not world class? Wow..

I watched him a few times for England live, and the only way to appreciate his contribution to a match was live.

He covered more ground in each game I saw than any other player on the pitch. He didn’t run past people precisely because he got himself into a great position before getting the ball. 

To suggest anyone could achieve the caps, games and clubs he did without being world class is surprising. 

Couldn't agree more. When England won 5-1 in Munich it was like we had an extra man due to his work rate and distribution. I remember watching the game back on telly with my dad and trying to explain how it just didn't do Beckham justice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-34353974/david-beckham-i-wasn-t-world-class

David Beckham: I wasn't world-class

English football star David Beckham has told the BBC that he was not insulted by his exclusion from Sir Alex Ferguson's list of four world-class Manchester United players - and he agreed.

Sir Alex said earlier this week that he only worked with four "world-class players" as boss of Manchester United - Paul Scholes, Eric Cantona, Cristiano Ronaldo and Ryan Giggs.

Asked if he was offended, Beckham said he agreed with Sir Alex, whom he called "the greatest manager of all time".

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Beckham v Greece 2001 was one of the single greatest individual performances I’ve ever seen. It wasn’t about the talent that day, it was about the sheer will to win. He was everywhere on the pitch, played like a man possessed while his colleagues were falling apart, and then casually rescued the entire qualification campaign with a brilliant free kick at the end. 

My in-laws Labrador almost had a heart attack when that goal went in. It was a Herculean effort that Beckham put in that day. 

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Limited player? No talent? 

A prime Beckham would walk into any team in the world today!

OK he may not have been the best at tracking back and tackling and not the fastest player in the world but his passing ability, his crossing ability, his shooting ability and his ability to score crucial goals means you can forgive him for what he did lack.

Very few players in world football today have the abilities I've already listed.

Did i say he had no talent? He was limited, he was very good at dead balls he was world class in a dead ball situation but his all round game play wasn't world class, there was limitations to his game and i think many in the game would agree with me on that.. 

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Did i say he had no talent? He was limited, he was very good at dead balls he was world class in a dead ball situation but his all round game play wasn't world class, there was limitations to his game and i think many in the game would agree with me on that.. 

I think much of the misunderstanding of Beckham is due to the British mindset that for decades mistrusted anything with long hair and dismissed passing football as fanny football. 

David Beckham was a highly flexible player with a exceptional technical ability that was not limited to free kicks (factually one of the greatest ever), crosses (factually again a outliner with freakish ability when studied) and passing. It is why he was deployed as a right sided player, a central midfielder, a central defensive midfielder and a withdrawn playmaker (Regista) leading him to play for not just top sides, but the games great clubs. 

He did not win the FIFA player of the year or ballon d'or,  but his finishing second to Figo etc was not due to his hairstyle.

What is overlooked frequently by the column inches dedicated to guff is his touch. A touch not normally associated with players of this Isle beyond say a Scholes. 

Any junior coach would do well to have kids watch Beckham's short passing game on youtube where he keeps possession as easily as Iniesta, and resets possession as easily as that great man did when its out of control. His key passing game leading to big chances as it is now described by analysts ... Was World class. 

Compared with a number of contemporaries, David Beckham wasn't necessarily naturally gifted and didn't have great pace. However, he is the classic case of a player who made the absolute most of his talent by sheer hard work and as a result reached the very top of the game..

Defining world class is often difficult, but he was an integral part of the Man Utd team that dominated the premier league and was successful in Europe and went on to play at other of Europe's top clubs. He was also a part of England's  "Golden Generation" that I think most of us feel fell short of their potential on the European and World stage, which detracts a little. However, for England he became a talisman, often lifting the team by his own efforts , in much the same way that Gerrard did at Liverpool.

I think he has suffered because of the publicity he attracted allied to his wife's fame ( or infamy!), such that his worldwide status now seems to transcend  his footballing achievements.

5 hours ago, 054123 said:

At his peak Beckham was a world class player of his day. His work rate, passing and control of the ball were unbelievable.  Im sure people who saw him ply between 1999 and 2003 would share the same opinion.

His control of the ball was outstanding. any angle height seemed to be able to go bang and kill it. 

Archived