IGNORED

6 Most Depressing Clubs to Support

Hampshire Red

7 minutes ago, reddevon said:

Torquay  United  -  shed loads of miles every other game to get smashed and no chance of avoidng another relegation!:facepalm:

Was just going to nominate them.

Going down to the Conference South is bad enough but to have your club owned by a known asset-stripper and having your ground owned by a council who seem to hate football is another dimension of worry!

Sunderland - so badly managed and could easily go down this season - possibly even get relegated again next should all these players stay on their contracts without the relegation clauses.

Middlesbrough - worst place to go in Britain, absolutely nothing for fans to do and the home fans only go when they're in the premier league. That was one depressing away trip back in 2010. Funnily enough, it was 8 years ago today. 

Stockport County - relegation after relegation after relegation

Darlington - So much promise at one point, left to absolute ruin. When you get the train to middlesbrough, you can see (or at least used to be able to see) the 25,000 seater stadium they built 

Luton Town, Blackburn Rovers and Bradford - absolute hell holes and supporting clubs in the lower leagues. 

Good thread. 

Agree with pretty much all the selections so far. Outside the massive clubs most fans probably feel their club has a reason to be considered.

Whilst probably not in the top 6 I'll throw Preston into the mix for the simple reason that they've yet to experience the Premier League. Must be frustrating for them as they see club after club (much smaller than them)  move up through the divisions and make it to the promised land. 

It hasn't been much fun supporting Wednesday over recent years either. 18 years since we came down now. I remember the summer when we'd come down, there were big adverts all over the city with "Get your Premier League return ticket". Surprised we didn't get done under The Trade Descriptions Act. 

4 hours ago, Big C said:

Darlington

4 hours ago, Bobby Bollax said:

Always felt for the Darlo fans. Their owner built a 27,000 all seater stadium. They were only getting crowds of 3,000! The stadium put them into administration on 3 occasions. I believe they have moved out into a non league stadium 

I now live in Darlington (its the wife's fault she is from Darlo) and after they went into administration, due to the cost of the stadium and the previous owner George Reynolds (who has to have been the biggest spanner i have the misfortune to once meet) they briefly had to move out of town and play at another ground after they failed to agree a creditors agreement and as they lost the use of the ground they proposed to play at a ground that did not meet the some sort of ground grading???. they were then relegated four divisions by Football Association... at that point they had to change there name to Darlington 1883. they have now move back into the town where they share a small non league ground with Blackwell Rugby Club and this season have Changed there name back to Darlington F.C... i think there a having a pretty average season so far???

as for the 25,500 seater Stadium its used by Mowden Rugby Club who get an average gate of 700... although we have  A-ha and Steps, with Aqua and Blue playing there this summer...:facepalm::grr:

So to summarize the Darlo fans i speak to are always pretty depressed about the club and its future...  my Kids are City fans (as its daddy team and now there's, my lads where city kits to football training where as the rest are a mix top 6 prem teams and boro, Sunderland and Newcastle) 

19 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Whilst probably not in the top 6 I'll throw Preston into the mix for the simple reason that they've yet to experience the Premier League. Must be frustrating for them as they see club after club (much smaller than them)  move up through the divisions and make it to the promised land. 

I was thinking of nominating Preston, in some article I ready a while back it suggested that the biggest clubs (not sure how they measured that) that have not been in Premier League were us and Preston. Also, in recent years, although they have had promotion etc they have not done it with the same glory as we have ie EFL cup win, promoted as league champions. I don't think Preston would make the top 6 and they must be nowhere as bad to follow as perhaps Luton but they haven't had the highlights we have had and have lost out on a few opportunities.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

1. Stockport County

2. Tranmere Rovers

3. Hartlepool

4. Coventry

5. Blackpool

6. Rochdale

Not hard to disagree with that list! At least 'Dale have experienced promotion after some 34 years without!!

2 hours ago, Bizyer said:

Hereford United?

Non league giant killers of Newcastle (Ronnie Radford's goal still best FA cup goal of all time) followed by rise to 2nd Division (now Championship) and then relegation to non league, financial ruin (the usual suspcts) and FA sanction of demotion to the 9th (Ninth!) tier.

They're on their way back, mood round there is very vibrant since they re-formed. Partner is from there so visit often, Peter Beadle's now in charge. They get crowds of 4k regularly too, more than what they had in the League!! 

Birmingham. 

Their dreary club song is "Keep plodding on til the end of the road. Turn left, then keep going until you see the cemetry" or whatever it is. Inspiring. 

Their imaginative nickname, Blues. Inspired. The Blues. Depressing.

Whatever they do, they will always be the sh1te club in that city. 

Second most populous conurbation in the UK and they get smaller crowds than Derby, Norwich, Forest, Brighton, and other towns around the country.

3 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Merthyr Town?

Really gets on my tits when you see people who support the big 6 moaning on twitter. Could be a hell of a lot worse you sour ******* infants.

Merthyr Town deserve the shit they're in.

Were relegated multiple divisions because of financial irregularities, pissed their way back up, only to be found out they have financial irregularities.

Cheating ******* didn't learn the first time and have done exactly the same again.

****s.

Actually laughed when I saw Merthyr lost 13-1 a month or so ago. Their goalkeeper was MOTM!

2 hours ago, harrys said:

What is the point of being an Everton fan, they don’t even get the excitement of a relegation battle

I was thinking of Everton as well. They're in Liverpool's shadow (and have been for a long time, even during their last successful patch in the 1980s), way behind similar size clubs like Tottenham and there is no real sign that they are going to improve from mid table obscurity.

Other than that I agree with posters who have mentioned Coventry and Blackpool - both have been through a torrid few years. Similarly with Tranmere (I quite liked their ground when I saw City play there), Stockport and Darlington.

Notts County and Port Vale have both been mentioned. Both have long played second fiddle to Forest and Stoke respectively, but at least County have the claim to fame of inspiring Juventus' kit (or was it the other way around?). I actually prefer both these teams to their neighbours and they have decent enough grounds, although I wouldn't particularly like to live in Burslem where Port Vale play. I also think Vale Park is the coldest I have ever been at a football match.

Colchester's old Layer Road ground was pretty poor but I can't imagine watching them at their new bland ground in the middle of nowhere is much fun.

9 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Mk dons . Just don’t see them as a real club . Now below the club they ****** over . And they have a fantastic stadium. It’s all wrong. 

Winkleman has now announced he's prepared to sell MK Dons and walk away.

33 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I earlier mentioned Luton. Others in red hot competition may be Carlisle, Wrexham, Hartlepool, Colchester and Grimsby. Imagine being a fan of any of those... an utterly joyless existence

Grimsby is an awful place as well. When I was applying for University one of the places that was good for my particular course was Grimsby college. I got the train up for the interview, took one look at the place and immediately sacked it off and spent the day in nearby Cleethorpes playing in the arcades. 

The season we came down Grimsby were in the Championship, seems unthinkable now. 

46 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I earlier mentioned Luton. Others in red hot competition may be Carlisle, Wrexham, Hartlepool, Colchester and Grimsby. Imagine being a fan of any of those... an utterly joyless existence

Carlisle had the honour of losing to us in the JPT final 15 years ago.

As a club they have achieved everything worth striving for.

Bolton and Walsall share that honour as well.

15 years ago Stockport were playing, and beating, Manchester City in the Championship. Now their local derbies are Salford, FC United and Curzon Ashton.

Chester deserve a shout. 20 years with a succession of mad, bad and dangerous owners before going bust in 2010. Reformed by the fans and quickly got back up to the Conference, only to see 5 seasons of constant struggle, and now last week the announcement that they need to raise £50k by the end of February or potentially face going bust again. 

5 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

Yeah, I can’t imagine what that must be like...

6 hours ago, keflav said:

I now live in Darlington (its the wife's fault she is from Darlo) and after they went into administration, due to the cost of the stadium and the previous owner George Reynolds (who has to have been the biggest spanner i have the misfortune to once meet) they briefly had to move out of town and play at another ground after they failed to agree a creditors agreement and as they lost the use of the ground they proposed to play at a ground that did not meet the some sort of ground grading???. they were then relegated four divisions by Football Association... at that point they had to change there name to Darlington 1883. they have now move back into the town where they share a small non league ground with Blackwell Rugby Club and this season have Changed there name back to Darlington F.C... i think there a having a pretty average season so far???

as for the 25,500 seater Stadium its used by Mowden Rugby Club who get an average gate of 700... although we have  A-ha and Steps, with Aqua and Blue playing there this summer...:facepalm::grr:

So to summarize the Darlo fans i speak to are always pretty depressed about the club and its future...  my Kids are City fans (as its daddy team and now there's, my lads where city kits to football training where as the rest are a mix top 6 prem teams and boro, Sunderland and Newcastle) 

I must be one of the few City fans that have actually seen a match at the Reynolds Arena. I was working in Hartlepool and staying in Yarm and the B&B owner was a Darlo ST holder back then. I said I wouldn`t mind seeing the ground and we went to see England C (the best English non-league players) v Italy U23s.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I must be one of the few City fans that have actually seen a match at the Reynolds Arena. I was working in Hartlepool and staying in Yarm and the B&B owner was a Darlo ST holder back then. I said I wouldn`t mind seeing the ground and we went to see England C (the best English non-league players) v Italy U23s.

Yeah me too like I said as I live in Darlington now and have done since 2000 my old boss had a box at the ground so went a few times (mind you it was free food and drink so it all got a bit blurry towards the end of the afternoon )...

it is not a bad stadium just sorely under used, even when it was first open I think the highest attendance was about 11000 most games was only 2000 ish... think the support was there but due to Reynolds (what a f##kwit), location and general piss poor football being played there and having 3 them prem clubs (well on and off) so local it just lost money from day one... also the Council hated Reynolds and refused to let him have a nightclub and concerts and other events there (allowed to have a few now) as he did not get permission for these when building the stadium... all pretty sad really...

Everton is a great shout, someone mentioned Grimsby too, although might have the best fish n chips and keep it safe!

Rochdale, just why? Chesterfield, other than crooked spire?

Scunthorpe, obvious reasons. Southend, not even the world's longest pier saves it.

Barnet.

Archived