IGNORED

Diedhiou

Londoner

Jon Stead - People disliked him because he didn’t score many, yet he worked his socks off every game

Fammy - Scores enough has a good goals per minute ratio (better than bobby) but doesn’t do much else. 

The below low is all that matters for a striker. He has Bobby and the midfield to do all the fancy and dirty stuff. As long as he puts that round thing in the rectangular thing with a net. 

B24AE761-348F-40CA-AE90-4159B2AD2534.jpeg

24 league Games with Famara:

• 33% Win
  • 46% Draw
  • 21% Lose
  • Points per game: 1.46
  • Goals per game: 1.4

14 league Games without Famara:

• 57% Win
  • 14% Draw
  • 29% Loss
  • Points per game: 1.86
  • Goals per game: 1.4

I know stats only paint one side of a story, but with Diedhiou in the team we picked up a load of draws, without him was a spell where we picked up more points and wins, but were more likely to lose, %-wise.

There is a lot of talk about our style of play with or without him, but interestingly boiled down, the goals per game is the same. It's also worth remembering while he was out, Djuric played a key role once or twice, scoring in the win against Cardiff for example, but on the other hand arguably one of our best wins, away to Fulham, had neither of these men starting IIRC.

I say all this, as we were crying out for his physicality in January, desperate for his return, and now he is a donkey who doesn't suit our style of play...but:

10 goals in his 24 league apps. Joint 14th top scorer in the league, and of those he has the 6th best minutes per goals. Pretty good for an injury hit, first season in the championship. 

In terms of minutes per goal Fam averages just better than one every 2 games FFS! Great goal return especially considering he’s recently been out injured for months. Couple of quiet games and it’s get rid! Unbelievable.

11 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

This thread is totally embarrassing. Fam has had 4 months out with injury, not 100% fit and he still comes back scoring goals and giving bobby a bit of a breather. However he's shit, can't control a ball, doesn't show any effort, isn't bothered etc.

**** me, I wish I was as shite as fam :facepalm:

Spot on. And as for him not being bothered, I can’t recall many players in recent times who have looked more happy to be here, always plays with a smile. 

24 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

When you see what we might have had with Diony too - careful what you wish for. Only see him getting better once fully fit. 

Exactly this. 

We could’ve spent the same or more on worse players. He’s been rushed back due to injuries and probably isn’t firing on all cylinders yet. 

Due to his goals scored in the championship we could get close to £10m in today’s market. 

Some varied views in this thread.  Those who like, those who dislike.

Certainly took him 4/5 games to get up to speed at the start of the season, then I think we saw a run of games where in the main he did quite well and scored goals. Then he got injured. 

When he came back from injury I think he did well (bearing in mind the injury length), but I think some of that was the adrenaline / bounce of being back playing.  He could have done with being rotated a bit, to allow him to build up his fitness to the Sept/Oct levels, but Diony didn’t work out so he’s played and at this stage of the season, regaining top fitness levels is hard because you play, rest, play, rest etc. 

Its a physically demanding league that can take some adjusting too. Some players take to it easily, some don’t. 

Hes scored more (as a ratio) than I expected....had him down for 12/13 from say 40 games. 

At times I’ve “purred” at some of the things he’s done, the control, spin, layoff off either foot or the take it past his marker and drive away from him with power. He’s taken one of physical defenders away from Reid to give him more space. 

At other times he’s frustrated me. Poor control, poor layoffs. But he tries. It might not be buzzing around like Reid, but who does?

How many of us have played as s predominantly back to goal striker at any level? Even at lesser levels if you get the wrong type of paced pass into you, you can’t get your body into a position to both control it and hold off your man, your weight isn’t in the right place.  It can make you look bad.

How many times does Flint make it difficult for his striker to get it into feet?  Nowhere near as often / difficult as Wright (an in form Wright) does, he’s virtually in his striker’s shorts!

I’m not blaming Diedhiou’s Service, but in general, we haven’t played as well since his return.

Is he the common denominator?

I don’t think so, just think we’ve not been as good all over the pitch.  As a focal point of our attack it becomes noticeable. 

£5.3m?

In today’s market for a 1 in 2 striker, that ain’t bad, it’s probably good. 

He wasn’t bought (LJ’s words) to score lots, bought to help others to and chip in himself. Think he’s done that.  He’s not perfect, but I think we’d have seen more without the injury!

I think it a mental thing with Famara. Ok his touch isn’t great and that is a fair point but watch him in our half receiving the ball. He often holds it up with a defender on his back, makes a nice turn and picks out a good pass to send us away. Now watch him in the opposing half(and usually a CB marking him) he is very weak often getting thrown to the ground. No way can there be such a drastic difference. It is like he knows he is going to get roughed up and just doesn’t fight. That is mental and he does seriously need to work on that because other than strength and aerial presence he is better than Djuric. 

Also, he is big and think everyone expects him to dominate in the air. Clearly he doesn’t play that way. Should be stronger trying to flick on or bring it down but we should know by now that isn’t his game at all. He is a top finisher though. You don’t see him get many shots but he has a high goal return. He has holes in his game that can be worked on but guess that is why he is in the championship. He will be marmite because he doesn’t have the greatest technical ability but he scores goals. Think overall, he brings more positives to the team than negatives though. Plus, we have been lucky with strikers the past few seasons. Matt Smith, Kodjia, Tammy and Bobby. We have had a variety of very successful strikers and our most expensive one will naturally be compared though he plays in a completely different way. 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

First season in a new country and in the most competitive second tier league anywhere in the world - no Premier B teams like in many others, missed three months with a serious knee injury and still has twelve goals.

What more do some of you want?

Players that fit in with how the team plays.

A poster made a interesting point about goals to points. Are this players goals worth less? Yes. This appears to be true. 

There are times the the player in question makes simple look hard and fails to control a ball a kid would. The team has to play differently to accommodate this player,  in and out of possession. Has to and does. Improvement collectively could be a player who plays more East to West, South and the ball sticks.

And that might be the question for you. How do you want to see your football played and does this player really fit in with it. 

4 hours ago, Red white and red said:

This thread is totally embarrassing. Fam has had 4 months out with injury, not 100% fit and he still comes back scoring goals and giving bobby a bit of a breather. However he's shit, can't control a ball, doesn't show any effort, isn't bothered etc.

**** me, I wish I was as shite as fam :facepalm:

He does not give Bobby a breather because  Bobby does the closing down if he doesn't keep it. 

42 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

So we've gone from hating him, thinking he's okay, to desperately needing him and finally now back to hating him again. 

Exactly. And the conclusion? That it reveals far, far more about the individual posters concerned, and about OTIB in general, than it will ever tell you about the player they’re referring to.

I’ve had to learn over the years to just let it go. It’s hugely annoying and very tempting to wade in, but it’s also a total waste of time and effort and will not make the slightest difference to the self-indulgent tendency of some people to deal with their infantile inability to tolerate their own frustration by laying into whoever this week’s scapegoat happens to be.

”Crap”? Yes, in abundance. Huge piles of it, in fact, freely available on the forum most days, but especially after a disappointing match (though I personally am far from unhappy with a victory, which some people seem to have reacted to as though it had been a defeat). But as to the whereabouts of the ordure, I think you’ll find that doesn’t lie in Famara’s vicinity. Rather, you can  locate it on this thread, and many others like it, most days of the week on OTIB. The bad smell doesn’t eminate from our centre forward, but somewhere closer to home.

1 hour ago, Red white and red said:

He wasn't crap though was he? No service,  had to fight and battle for everything and not his best game. 

But yeah, crap :clap:

He couldnt control the ball all afternoon! Not saying sell him mind. 

2 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Exactly. And the conclusion? That it reveals far, far more about the individual posters concerned, and about OTIB in general, than it will ever tell you about the player they’re referring to.

I’ve had to learn over the years to just let it go. It’s hugely annoying and very tempting to wade in, but it’s also a total waste of time and effort and will not make the slightest difference to the self-indulgent tendency of some people to deal with their own inability to tolerate frustration by laying into whoever this week’s scapegoat happens to be.

”Crap”? Yes, in abundance. Huge piles of it, in fact, freely available on the forum most days, but especially after a disappointing match (though I personally am far from unhappy with a victory, which some people seem to have reacted to as though it had been a defeat). But as to the whereabouts of the ordure, I think you’ll find that doesn’t lie in Famara’s vicinity. Rather, you can  locate it on this thread, and many others like it, most days of the week on OTIB. The bad smell doesn’t emirate from our centre forward, but somewhere closer to home.

No, you don’t mean.......

Erectile Dysfunction?

Archived