IGNORED

Cover at Right Back

NewquayRed

I said in some other post this position has been our 'achilles heel'  

I cannot see Pisano being match until the till tail end of the season.

BW has done a job there, but still cannot understand why never got a loan in,

LJ has-said in the past and recognizes losing KS from midfield is detrimental yet we still do it. 

Interesting, just watched Johnson’s pre-match selection video.  Said he picked Wright over Magnússon because he wanted as many nippy players on the pitch as possible.

I can see his thinking, but Bolton are quite a physical team, and we didn’t get a foothold on the game for these said players to show their stuff.  We might’ve passed it across the midfield nicely at times, but we weren’t incisive against their stronger players in the final third.

I thought Walker (and Ameobi to an extent) caused Flint and Wright a lot of problems with his back to goal play.  The funny thing was that it reminded me of Woodrow versus them last season for Burton at AG.  Walker never stopped moving, and our two didn’t cope as well in the air against someone you’d expect to not cause an issue.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting, just watched Johnson’s pre-match selection video.  Said he picked Wright over Magnússon because he wanted as many nippy players on the pitch as possible.

I can see his thinking, but Bolton are quite a physical team, and we didn’t get a foothold on the game for these said players to show their stuff.  We might’ve passed it across the midfield nicely at times, but we weren’t incisive against their stronger players in the final third.

I thought Walker (and Ameobi to an extent) caused Flint and Wright a lot of problems with his back to goal play.  The funny thing was that it reminded me of Woodrow versus them last season for Burton at AG.  Walker never stopped moving, and our two didn’t cope as well in the air against someone you’d expect to not cause an issue.

So run at them rather than Mags long throw type tactics?  Yes I can see that Lee, but then you ‘waste’ one of the best passers at RB, then when you do restore him you take off Pack. 

I didn’t see much of the first half to be fair, but the commentator did mention Bolton playing a different style to cope with the sell of their player to Cardiff. His transfer was always likely to happen, but did we spend too much time planning to counter him that we didn’t consider tactics would change maybe, can’t think we wouldn’t have had that covered but you never know.

Yeah, he's got to stop putting players in positions that they are not used to cover our lack of players.....it weakens the side.

Wright is not a right back, Korey is not a right back and I'm not sure Maggers is left back. 

Moving players out of their best positions creates a concertina effect of then replacing them with players who are not as good as them in their position and so on and the result is a weakened side.

It's a bit naff to be honest that at this level we are having to do this.......makes us look a bit amateur coz this sort of thing happens at amateur level but should never happen at a professional outfit on the verge of the prem.

To be fair Wright has done an excellent job there this season so why move him & create the RB problem to start with.

If ever there was a game where Maggers could have coped at centre back it was last night. I mean Tyler Walker isn't exactly Matt Smith is he??

Absolute own goal by LJ on this occasion I'm afraid & it cost us.

32 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Easy to say in hindsight. We could’ve played Wright there with Magnússon in centre half and still lost.

Last night’s result was down to more than just right back selection. Saying that though I’m surprised we didn’t bring one in last month. Seemed a very obvious thing to do.

This was not an opinion in hindsight. The loss of Smith in midfield has been highlighted on many occasions - he is not a right back. The original poster is echoing many long standing opinions which you acknowledge - we have needed a right back for a while now and it is a mistake to remove Smith from midfield.

I’ve found the whole RB situation pretty baffling, in truth.

Pisano does not have the greatest matches played to season ratio, only managing 30+ twice in his whole career, plus of course as he acknowledged, the intensity of The Championship compared to Serie A (or especially Serie B, where he has spent over half his career) is just off the scale.

It made sense therefore to have a proper plan B, but this seems to have been the compromise that avoided LJ having to chose between his captain (Wright), his best defender (Baker) and our talisman (Flint).

Wright is a good sort who has not let us down, but that is not a long term solution and when someone else is out like Baker now is for 3 games we suddenly look short.

However these 3 are all CBs anyway and so we were told earlier in the season Vyner was seen as the long term RB, though apparently that had changed by last week when he was again seen as a CB.

Then of course there is Taylor Moore, a million pound plus signing, who played half a season at Bury on loan and has spent this one at Cheltenham, playing regularly at RB..

I must admit I assumed the Man City link would see some kid from there joining last week & also presumed it would be a RB but no.

Playing Korey there is stupid but with Pisano unlikely to be back anytime soon we have now left ourselves in a mess entirely of our own making.

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

However these 3 are all CBs anyway and so we were told earlier in the season Vyner was seen as the long term RB, though apparently that had changed by last week when he was again seen as a CB.

Then of course there is Taylor Moore, a million pound plus signing, who played half a season at Bury on loan and has spent this one at Cheltenham, playing regularly at RB..

Playing Korey there is stupid but with Pisano unlikely to be back anytime soon we have now left ourselves in a mess entirely of our own making.

Agree 100% with that.  It is as baffling as LJ said in one of his interviews a while back that he acknowledges that BW is a CB filling in and we are not as 'fluid' with him doing short term job there.  I recall him saying fluid.   And respect, he has made a good fist of it.  This 'short term' job seems to be most of the remainder of the season.  He also says its detrimental moving KS to RB.  Who knows, perhaps a deal fell through, lets get Little back, he had a good game for the Trotter's !!

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Easy to say in hindsight. We could’ve played Wright there with Magnússon in centre half and still lost.

Last night’s result was down to more than just right back selection. Saying that though I’m surprised we didn’t bring one in last month. Seemed a very obvious thing to do.

57 minutes ago, BCFC1959 said:

This was not an opinion in hindsight. The loss of Smith in midfield has been highlighted on many occasions - he is not a right back. The original poster is echoing many long standing opinions which you acknowledge - we have needed a right back for a while now and it is a mistake to remove Smith from midfield.

@Phileas Fogg

It seems you are confused by my response - let me clarify -

the original poster did not say the reason for last night's result was due solely to the right back selection. Just that Smith should not play there and

we need a right back

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Only issue is it's not been said in hindsight, it's been said for weeks, the very first thing I said last night when I saw the line up is that we'd miss Korey in the middle and the man who attacked us there (Ameobi) had a field day and walked through our players over and over.

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Only issue is it's not been said in hindsight, it's been said for weeks, the very first thing I said last night when I saw the line up is that we'd miss Korey in the middle and the man who attacked us there (Ameobi) had a field day and walked through our players over and over.

Of course we did, I didn’t say we didn’t. Just that it wasn’t the only reason we lost. We could have easily still lost whether Smith played midfield or not. The team didn’t turn up.

7 minutes ago, BCFC1959 said:

@Phileas Fogg

It seems you are confused by my response - let me clarify -

the original poster did not say the reason for last night's result was due solely to the right back selection. Just that Smith should not play there and

we need a right back

I didn’t say he said that 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Of course we did, I didn’t say we didn’t. Just that it wasn’t the only reason we lost.

Fair enough but to me it was a huge contributing factor. Bolton rarely looked dangerous until Little and Ameobi got the ball, usually Korey would have been in the middle breaking up that link up, Brownhill is a quality midfielder but that's not the strongest part of his game, his link up play is and pack is a jack of all trades but his defensive game is no where near as good as Koreys. The bottom line is Korey isn't a right back, Wright has spent so long playing RB he wasn't at his best in the middle and Bryan should be in the midfield, not defence. 

Seems to me that the issue is in part how important Korey has become in midfield. Earlier in the season there was a genuine central midfield question as to two from Korey, Pack and Brownhill. Last night showed that we need Korey in the middle. 

As for right back, I'm not sure how I'd approach the next two games. If this Andrews kid is looking alright, maybe try him v Sunderland. Or switch to 3-4-1-2 with Brownhill as wing back. 

22 minutes ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

Seems to me that the issue is in part how important Korey has become in midfield. Earlier in the season there was a genuine central midfield question as to two from Korey, Pack and Brownhill. Last night showed that we need Korey in the middle. 

As for right back, I'm not sure how I'd approach the next two games. If this Andrews kid is looking alright, maybe try him v Sunderland. Or switch to 3-4-1-2 with Brownhill as wing back. 

Yep. We lose too much moving Korey out of the middle. I don't know why Mags can't just play centre-half, although your suggestion of Andrews might suit if he doesn't want to play Mags, and thinks Andrews is ready. In truth we shouldn't be letting Sunderland anywhere near our defensive line, but I suppose it would be a case of them trying to exploit the inexperienced player. Exactly what happened to Vyner on his home debut I think.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I’ve found the whole RB situation pretty baffling, in truth.

Pisano does not have the greatest matches played to season ratio, only managing 30+ twice in his whole career, plus of course as he acknowledged, the intensity of The Championship compared to Serie A (or especially Serie B, where he has spent over half his career) is just off the scale.

It made sense therefore to have a proper plan B, but this seems to have been the compromise that avoided LJ having to chose between his captain (Wright), his best defender (Baker) and our talisman (Flint).

Wright is a good sort who has not let us down, but that is not a long term solution and when someone else is out like Baker now is for 3 games we suddenly look short.

I must admit I assumed the Man City link would see some kid from there joining last week & also presumed it would be a RB but no.

Yep that sums it up for me, although convinced we’ll hammer Sunderland at home whoever plays there, going forward though it will continue to be an issue against well organised physical teams.

We need a nice 5-6 game unbeaten run with people playing in their best positions,, can’t win em all and a few draws away from home will keep us ticking along 

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

My view is that LJ knows that Baker and Flint are the obvious two for the centre back positions and by not having a right back, it's a way of keeping Wright in the side. He really doesn't want to have to drop his captain. 

EXACTLY THIS!

Been saying it for months now. You cant drop flint or baker and by playing someone other than BW at right back means dropping BW. 

LJ just wont drop his captain so if i was going to say LJ has failed at anything this season ( yes i know we’ve done great so its a minor negative on a great season ), then its the RB slot. 

Theonly other way around it is 352. 

However, we dont have a RWB either so that doesnt work either. 

5 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Sending Vyner out on loan was a VERY poor decision.

I tend to agree. I would have played him more than he did anyway. Like during Wright’s 2 match ban. I think he is a smooth footballer. He doesn’t have that aggression but a few games in the championship will change that. Always grew into games when I have seen him too. Personally think not much between him and Mags at the fullback spots. 

Archived