IGNORED

Joe Bryan v Bolton

aa_bcfc

Joe has been one of, or possibly the, best player so far this season until last night. recognising that he had the early booking and that curtailed some of his aggressive tackling, that had to be the worst he’s played this season and perhaps his worst ever 1st team performance. 

It was totally out of character and I doubt any of us saw it coming. 

As this was the first game after the transfer window closed, it got me thinking whether his mind was in the right place as perhaps there may have been an unreported late bid from a premier league club which city had rejected. Unlikely I know but it’s difficult to see any other reason for that dreadful half-hearted effort. 

I think he like others had one of those nights.

BUT he had to make that tackle irrelevant of the risk and he 100% bottled it  - you physically saw him consider putting a leg in and pulling out.

Obviously if he did not score then correct decision but he did !!

JB was booked in the 6th min and especially as a defender you can't afford to make the slightest mistake or you could be off. So he had another 84 mins to be extra careful and that surely effected his performance.

Had he not been on a yellow Ameobe wouldn't of pissed away from  him like he did. JB couldn't risk mistiming a tackle and unfortunately it led to the winning goal.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

JB was booked in the 6th min and especially as a defender you can't afford to make the slightest mistake or you could be off. So he had another 84 mins to be extra careful and that surely effected his performance.

Had he not been on a yellow Ameobe wouldn't of pissed away from  him like he did. JB couldn't risk mistiming a tackle and unfortunately it led to the winning goal.

Well LJ said he thought it was a 'lack of desire' from Bryan that enabled Ameobe to get away. Sorry, I know he was booked early on but that does not excuse Joe's unbelievably poor performance last night and that includes a distinct lack of effort which is completely unacceptable. If the booking was that much of a problem then he could've been replaced by Mags. I'm a massive fan of his but last night did get me wondering whether his mind is elsewhere. Maybe there was some interest late in the window...then again he wasn't the only one guilty of not wanting it enough last night.

I thought LJ sounded unusually downbeat before last night's game and for him to say afterwards that we didn't want it enough last night is about as harsh a criticism as a manager can make. Something not quite right at the moment, here's hoping the trip to Dubai refocuses everyone...

JB was probably thinking of the 'pelters' he would get from OTIB if he was sent off and then we went on to lose the game, (thinking of Frankie against Wolves) !!!

For what it's worth, I think Korey should have taken a booking by 'halting' Ameobi's run long before he got to shooting range, once past JB nobody put a tackle in, Korey backpeddled so far and almost invited him to shoot.

What happened to good old fashioned shoulder-barging? Someone with Joe Bryan's pace should be able to get alongside a player like Ameobi without needing to kick him up in the air.

Getting pretty fed-up with the amount of professional fouls this season. And I actually have sympathy for Man City after losing Sane for six weeks.

Lots of very cynical fouls from us and other teams this season and the yellow cards are mounting up.

I'm a big fan of Bryan and he was very poor last night, but what disappointed me the most was his lack of effort at getting back after the initial half arsed challenge. He should have been shoulder to shoulder with him all the way. Ameobi is strong but not quick, Joe trotted back. I've noticed this trait before - Sheffield United's equaliser, for example.

20 minutes ago, Prime said:

I'm a big fan of Bryan and he was very poor last night, but what disappointed me the most was his lack of effort at getting back after the initial half arsed challenge. He should have been shoulder to shoulder with him all the way. Ameobi is strong but not quick, Joe trotted back. I've noticed this trait before - Sheffield United's equaliser, for example.

Shoulder to shoulder? Maybe if Joe had stilts on FFS.

Therearea lot of winter bugs around at the moment. Footballers get them too. Maybe one or two of them were not feeling 100% or maybe some were carrying niggles. It happens.

TBH though, it did look like Bolton wanted it more,but again the refereeing didn't help.

I thought at the start that the formation was wrong. Korey at RB ruins our midfield and Ithink we have actually been playing better without a target man.

Hope they are all wound up and better prepared for the next 3 games.

8 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Therearea lot of winter bugs around at the moment. Footballers get them too. Maybe one or two of them were not feeling 100% or maybe some were carrying niggles. It happens.

TBH though, it did look like Bolton wanted it more,but again the refereeing didn't help.

I thought at the start that the formation was wrong. Korey at RB ruins our midfield and Ithink we have actually been playing better without a target man.

Hope they are all wound up and better prepared for the next 3 games.

Hadn't thought that some players weren't 100% well. Good shout. The few days away in the warm sun will help.

He could have just had a bad game?

He could be nursing a knock or illness - Taylor was playing for a while without his hernia issues being common knowledge?

Or perhaps he was eyeing a big move. Let’s not deny he has been superb this year and some big teams have been rumoured to be after him. Honestly, if I was him, I’d want a move that move, even given our current season. Quadruple your wages and status, no brainier. 

And let’s be honest, I think his relationship with the fans is a funny one. Although we sing his name and that he is one of our own now, well he is one player who has taken a hell of a lot of stick from the fans over the years. He has in turn always held us at arms length, never really embracing us like some players do. His “this time last year I was a fraud” tweet also says a lot about how he feels about the fans. Even as a joke, he is trying to make a point, it feels like there is/was some resentment there.

Perhaps he was seriously eyeing up that move, already had a deposit ready for a new 720S and a nice house on the Wirral, then it didn’t materialise.....?

1 hour ago, kiwicolin said:

Joe was already booked , so if he tackled their goal scorer, he would have been sent off. 

I’m not having that, I’m a defender myself and even if I was on a booking, I would bust a gut to try and get the right side of the forward to try and shield the ball. You don’t have to tackle!

Joe did neither.

All the ability is there for Bryan but I've cited his often poor attitude for a number of years now. It's what will probably stop him getting to a high level.

Last nights half arsed attempt to track Ameobi after the initial feeble challenge wasn't a one off, he's done that many a time over the last few years and it's beyond frustrating. He'll also often watch a ball that's rolling out of play and, though easily retrievable will half-heartedly jog after it before then making a last ditch sprint to keep it in - by which time it's often too late. Some people give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's misjudged it, but it's happened countless times to the point I can only put it down to laziness.

12 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I’m not having that, I’m a defender myself and even if I was on a booking, I would bust a gut to try and get the right side of the forward to try and shield the ball. You don’t have to tackle!

Joe did neither.

Said exactly the same earlier in the thread and I was a defender back in my pomp.The only excuse I can give him is that he’s not a defender really when you look at the tackles he makes and he is on a booking,just happened the fella hit a unstoppable shot that he won’t do again 

1 hour ago, Angmering Red said:

JB was probably thinking of the 'pelters' he would get from OTIB if he was sent off and then we went on to lose the game, (thinking of Frankie against Wolves) !!!

For what it's worth, I think Korey should have taken a booking by 'halting' Ameobi's run long before he got to shooting range, once past JB nobody put a tackle in, Korey backpeddled so far and almost invited him to shoot.

'pelters' .. blimey, although it's a genuine word (just looked it up  ) it's one I haven't seen, heard or spoken for 'yonks' (that's another one)...

Always thought  'pelters'' was a Bristolian slang word, only ever heard it in school playgrounds (a lifetime ago  :) )

Anyway, it took me back,  remember it often used when referring  to someone pelting along (running fast) or someone giving or getting bashed in playground fights... Memories eh?.   No idea when I last heard it though, strange when it was such a commonly used childhood word.   

Just saying... :) 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Ummmmm......#4....

1 hour ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I'm sure that if he had 'tackled' him, that would have been ok by the laws of the game. 

37 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Joe did neither.

14 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Strange comment. Tackles are part of the game.

Maybe if he had fouled their goal scorer........

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

No if he tackled him he wouldn’t of been sent off,if he would of fouled him he would of been but he did neither I think that’s peoples problem,not me tho the main problem was slow possession 

There were other players that could have tackeled him as well, not just Bryan. 

Archived