IGNORED

Harry Kane - Dive or fouled!

Denbury Red

I’ve just read on the BBC website that Harry Kane has said that ‘he felt a touch, so I went down’.

i always thought a penalty was given when a player was fouled in the Penalty area - is Harry now saying just because he was ‘touched’ that was enough to claim he was fouled!

if that’s the case there would be a penalty every time the ball went into the area!!

Foul. GK did touch him so he was fouled. 

I reallydont know why Klopp is gettingso funny about both penalties. 

Both were. Both have been confirmed by all our ‘expert pundits’.

its just odd a lino gave both when usually they do F all in a game regarding game changing decisions!

shame this lino wasnt at bolton for the gbh on bobby!

For me, the rule needs re-writing entirely. The question has to not simply be whether there was contact but whether that contact impeded the player's ability to either gain or maintain possession of the ball or to do what they intended to do with it. If not, it should not be a foul and it should not be a penalty.  Furthermore, a player making the most of a challenge should be perceived as diving and awarded a yellow card, even if there was genuine contact and even if in some cases a penalty is also awarded for the offence. 

14 minutes ago, Benjiman_LFC said:

Dive of course, Lamela just as guilty. But maybe I'm bias. You go down because you have no choice not because you can. Had it gone the other way it would have felt like a tainted point.

Lamela was clever, he put his body in the way so that Van Dijk could do nothing but foul him there.

Kane, agreed it was soft, but if there is contact now there's always a chance it's given. 

If referees gave more penalties when a player stayed on his feet, there would be no need to go down.

If staying on your feet = no penalty, then it is no surprise they ask the referee a question with contact!! 

By staying on your feet and being honest. Only the defending team gets an advantage, which your team mates would not thank you for!!

Keeper catches his foot, it was the foot he would land on to carry on running, Pen ! if it was his other foot and he then didn't try and carry on running , as plenty of players do, then I would say dive , but it wasn't .  Lamela was kicked, may have made the most of it but he was kicked , so Pen. 
Another one was Benteke , shirt pulled so foul and Pen, Lawrenson was dubious but he's also a *****.

20 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

For me, the rule needs re-writing entirely. The question has to not simply be whether there was contact but whether that contact impeded the player's ability to either gain or maintain possession of the ball or to do what they intended to do with it. If not, it should not be a foul and it should not be a penalty.  Furthermore, a player making the most of a challenge should be perceived as diving and awarded a yellow card, even if there was genuine contact and even if in some cases a penalty is also awarded for the offence. 

This. :clap:

...and just in the opposite case, a player lunges in, and doesn’t get the ball, but rather than wait for contact that might injure you, you try to hurdle it, lose balance and fall over.  That is not a dive, but should also be a foul.  

46 minutes ago, nickolas said:

its just odd a lino gave both when usually they do F all in a game regarding game changing decisions!

So why go down?, you said it was a foul, so why the need to embellish the offence?.

37 minutes ago, Enoch said:

The problem is now most pundits are agreeing that if a player feels a touch, they are entitled to go down. 

That is because they have to protect their portion of the gravy train, the paymasters (mainly Sky) would never allow honesty on this matter.

41 minutes ago, Benjiman_LFC said:

Dive of course, Lamela just as guilty. But maybe I'm bias. You go down because you have no choice not because you can. Had it gone the other way it would have felt like a tainted point.

This all comes back to the basic argument as got whether football is a contact sport.

All over the pitch the slightest contact when players comes together usually results in one of them going down poleaxed and usually clutching some part of their anatomy in agony ( usually a part of the body nowhere near the pin to contact - if there was one). Ive said before that it now seems to me that virtually all tackles result in free kicks, and some pretty innocuous ones result in yellow cards.  In the penalty area strikers make things worse because of their propensity to "go down" under the slightest touch. On top of this is the punditry, whereby the first thing they discuss at the end of the game is the contentious issues, and primary of those will be penalty decisions - should it have been or not - which is examined and analysed from every conceivable angle and direction. 

Perversely, as illustrated in most of the Palace game on Saturday, all in wrestling seems to be completely acceptable in a penalty area at corners and free kicks. However, when one is penalised, correctly, and a penalty awarded, Alan " he was entitled to go down"Shearer, tweeted that we can expect 20 decisions a game if that was a penalty. If, as Shearer is suggesting,  holding/pulling  a player's shirt is acceptable and allowed, then the Lamella penalty should never have been given.

Listening to a bit of talksport earlier today on caller said the introduction of VAR ( which many advocate to deal with such decisions) would remove what makes football such a great game, and that is the debating points it creates, including those around penalty decisions. Another caller talked about Deli Alli's booking for diving, and suggested that he is now getting a reputation that will influence refs to not give decisions for Spurs when Alli goes over in the penalty area in future.

There is still much of the game that make it as attractive and addictive as it was when I was growing up. However the increasing desire to smooth off every rough edge, remove any uncertainty and treat powder puff, overpaid prima donna's with kid gloves ( would John Atyeo , Dickie Rooks or Gerry Gow have worn gloves during a game?) will see our great game go the same way as the NFL in the way it is packaged, marketed and presented.

Having said that you certainly can;t accuse NFL players of "feeling contact so they were entitled to go down", although plenty of them wear gloves in when playing indoors! 

Until referees start awarding penalties when a foul has occurred - and an honest player who can stay on their feet, does stay on their feet - it’ll keep happening. 

I don’t like it but I can also understand it to a degree. The offence hasn’t changed, yet the player knows that one scenario will result in the foul correctly being awarded and one won’t. You shouldn’t need to fall over for a foul to be correctly identified as a foul but in the majority of cases it seems you do. 

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

You'll have to point out the bit in the rules that says contact is illegal. I've not come across it in 38 years.

1 hour ago, Benjiman_LFC said:

I don't understand why you need to go down. Contact isn't illegal.

100% dive.  Every player should be making every effort to stay on their feet at all times and carry on.  Any little bit less is cheating.

I hope he's punished retrospectively but I suspect he won't be.  I still think the only way to stop this will be to put massive retrospective bans on it.

It's a shame Alli got booked rather than punished retrospectively, his embarrassing dive was worth a good five game ban.

2 hours ago, Enoch said:

The problem is now most pundits are agreeing that if a player feels a touch, they are entitled to go down. 

I bet Jimmy Armfield didn't agree , because he played in an era when physical contact was an accepted part of the game and "a touch" did not result in a player in a heap, a foul and often a booking.

Most of today's pundits played during a period when I am certain that they were/are coached  how to react to physical contact challenges, in order to gain the best advantage for the team. Not saying that British players are immune for accusations of simulation, but I also think the influx of foreign players in the last 15 years ha helped take simulation to a new level. 

For some time Ive felt that we are too nice as a team in this respect, that we have players who rarely go down without cause or simulate, but would not have it any other way.

36 minutes ago, 054123 said:

You'll have to point out the bit in the rules that says contact is illegal. I've not come across it in 38 years.

Who said it was?!

just pointing out these were fouls. I cant see why anyone bar the most insane ( delusional ) liverpool fan could see otherwise. 

6 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Who said it was?!

just pointing out these were fouls. I cant see why anyone bar the most insane ( delusional ) liverpool fan could see otherwise. 

You did, above.

"GK did touch him so he was fouled."

Not true.  Contact does not mean there is a foul.  Going down when you could carry on is cheating, which is what happened here.

2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

His next leg down in his step pattern is the one touched by the awful liverpool gk, taking him off balance.

just as per aden flints ‘touch’ on matt smith last week when smith was shooting. Very minimal but a foul. 

Its all opinions and mine is correct. :mf_sleep:

He chose to go down, and when a player does that they are cheating and should be banned.

Archived