IGNORED

Bobby Reid, CAM?

BCFCadam

Surely I'm not the only one who wanders why Johnson still plays Bobby as a lone striker? Have always thought with Diedhou returning from injury and Diony coming in, he could potentially drop back into a more CAM role and be twice as effective.

And don't even mention Cauley Woodrow, he's a liability.

2 hours ago, BCFCadam said:

Surely I'm not the only one who wanders why Johnson still plays Bobby as a loan striker? Have always thought with Diedhou returning from injury and Diony coming in, he could potentially drop back into a more CAM role and be twice as effective.

Now Bobby's overall game has improved I admit i'd be interested to see him in that role, but he has been at his best up top, if we push him back i'd be concerned we wouldn't see the best of him? I think we have better options for CAM now. I also think we've probably seen the last of Cauley.

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Now Bobby's overall game has improved I admit i'd be interested to see him in that role, but he has been at his best up top, if we push him back i'd be concerned we wouldn't see the best of him? I think we have better options for CAM now. I also think we've probably seen the last of Cauley.

Just seems to be bullied off the ball all too often.

Thanks to LJ identifying his goalscoring potential in training Reid has developed into a very decent striker as his goal return shows.

Even when Djuric/Taylor/ Famara are fully fit I doubt that Reid would slip down the pecking order.

Sure, we all know he could perform in midfield but I'm sure that option wouldn't cross LJs mind. Why drop him back when he's in the top of the Championship scoring charts. 

3 hours ago, BCFCadam said:

Surely I'm not the only one who wanders why Johnson still plays Bobby as a loan striker? Have always thought with Diedhou returning from injury and Diony coming in, he could potentially drop back into a more CAM role and be twice as effective.

always thought that bobby was one of our own, who is it that loaned him to us?

With the way we play, goals come from all over the team.

I don't see Bobby as a 'Striker' to score goals only...his biggest attribute for our pressing style, is his constant running and energy.

He continually presses the oppositions defenders and GK...which leads to us reclaiming possession.

Others benefit from his hard work. Creating space and opportunity to score goals.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't see Bobby as a 'Striker' to score goals only...his biggest attribute for our pressing style, is his constant running and energy.

He continually presses the oppositions defenders and GK...which leads to us reclaiming possession.

Others benefit from his hard work. Creating space and opportunity to score goals.

He has developed into an excellent  all round player,and could get even better.

Bobby Reid isn't twice as effective in midfield, he's half as effective. There's a reason he's been a revelation this season and it's all to do with narrowing his responsibility to attacking and pressing, not marking or positioning. Moving him back into midfield would be an epic mistake. 

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

I’m sure you don’t mean that his biggest attribute is just what he brings when we haven’t got the ball.  Of course he is often the trigger for the press....

....but he brings an awful lot to our attacking play too.  His movement is very good.  He can come short, play on the shoulder, run those channels, both to receive balls ‘down the side’, but also create space for his partner or runners.  The fact that he can mix that movement is key.  Defenders love it when they know that a striker / forward only runs one way.  If they always come short, they can go tight, if they always look to spin, then they’ll either give themselves a yard, or try to play a line to catch the forward offside.

We do need to get Bobby more service in and around the 18 yard area.  This is the first time he’s gone more than 3 league games without a goal....and I think that the rest of the side like it when Bobby scores.  I know they don’t care who gets them, but I think there is something extra when he does.

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m sure you don’t mean that his biggest attribute is just what he brings when we haven’t got the ball.  Of course he is often the trigger for the press....

....but he brings an awful lot to our attacking play too.  His movement is very good.  He can come short, play on the shoulder, run those channels, both to receive balls ‘down the side’, but also create space for his partner or runners.  The fact that he can mix that movement is key.  Defenders love it when they know that a striker / forward only runs one way.  If they always come short, they can go tight, if they always look to spin, then they’ll either give themselves a yard, or try to play a line to catch the forward offside.

We do need to get Bobby more service in and around the 18 yard area.  This is the first time he’s gone more than 3 league games without a goal....and I think that the rest of the side like it when Bobby scores.  I know they don’t care who gets them, but I think there is something extra when he does.

I haven’t seen him play like he did pre Fam injury though. His pressing and movement is very good but I haven’t seen him link the play as much. Maybe I am just forgetful but he was dropping deeper to link play then making a later run into the box from what I remember and have not seen that as much since Fam return

20 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I haven’t seen him play like he did pre Fam injury though. His pressing and movement is very good but I haven’t seen him link the play as much. Maybe I am just forgetful but he was dropping deeper to link play then making a later run into the box from what I remember and have not seen that as much since Fam return

Yeah, don’t disagree, he’s not quite been at the top of his game in the last couple.

I can't stand it when a 'striker' stands on the shoulder of the last defender, on the 18 yard box, and doesn't move. You see it so often. Especially when not playing short, sharp passing in and around the box. What option does it give a player to pass to you, especially if coming off the touch line 20 odd yards away, which is often a move from the wider midfield/full backs.

You can't play in behind as the keeper, as he has it covered, and if marked closely the control often lacks and possession lost.

Reid and Famara have given us that movement on many an occasion, but still fall into that 'trap' of not moving when we are on the offensive.

We seem to be at our most potent, when breaking fast on the counter, intercepting play and countering, or playing short sharp passing moves around the box.

We are very weak when building slowly and having no option to pass when you get our strikers sat on the last defensive line not moving.

18 hours ago, BCFCadam said:

Surely I'm not the only one who wanders why Johnson still plays Bobby as a lone striker? Have always thought with Diedhou returning from injury and Diony coming in, he could potentially drop back into a more CAM role and be twice as effective.

Despite being ridiculed I think you are correct in your view that Reid will drop back to CAM once Famara and Diony are up to full speed. I predict we will see a starting line-up with this as the front 3 before the season's out:

Famara   Diony

Reid

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Despite being ridiculed I think you are correct in your view that Reid will drop back to CAM once Famara and Diony are up to full speed. I predict we will see a starting line-up with this as the front 3 before the season's out:

Famara   Diony

Reid

For stability I would guess if we did that, a back 3 wouldn’t be out of the question? Similar formation to our league 1 campaign.

Think the OP's got a point to be honest, Bobby can still get goals from a CAM position - whether he's played there or more of a supporting striker role will be interesting to see in the run in. Bobby's strong point is he can probably fairly effectively flit between to such roles for the team, depending on how we set up

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Famara   Diony

Reid

I’m not convinced BR would drop back into a midfield in 442 if Diedhiou and Diony were to hit it off as a partnership....he might find himself on the bench if that were to happen.

But I can see him playing as "Luke Freeman" in the Cotts formation of 14/15 (and 15/16 stubbornly).

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not convinced BR would drop back into a midfield in 442 if Diedhiou and Diony were to hit it off as a partnership....he might find himself on the bench if that were to happen.

But I can see him playing as "Luke Freeman" in the Cotts formation of 14/15 (and 15/16 stubbornly).

Nice formations, 1 4 1 5 and 1 5 1 6. Doubt the officials would allow us to have the extra two in the second formation though.

20 hours ago, Robbored said:

Thanks to LJ identifying his goalscoring potential in training Reid has developed into a very decent striker as his goal return shows.

Even when Djuric/Taylor/ Famara are fully fit I doubt that Reid would slip down the pecking order.

Sure, we all know he could perform in midfield but I'm sure that option wouldn't cross LJs mind. Why drop him back when he's in the top of the Championship scoring charts. 

Had a great first half of the season but seems to have gone off the boil a bit in that respect

Not sure about a FD and Diony front 2 with Bobby behind, as for form dropping off I have a theory.
Start of the season we had BR behind FD and , although it took little time , it started to work well. Then the injury. Djuric came in and did well but with him in and out we ended up with Bobs as almost a false 9. That worked as we were full of confidence and the movement and support from midfield was brilliant and coincided with probably our best run. Shout out for Pato at this point ! 
When we hit the wall, injuries and fatigue, we have lost a little with the movement and support play. Then with FD coming back, and Diony coming in it almost looks like we are relearning the system. 
We are close to a full compliment of players and I really believe that with a win or two, and the accompanying confidence we will hit our form again .

11 hours ago, Nibor said:

Bobby Reid isn't twice as effective in midfield, he's half as effective. There's a reason he's been a revelation this season and it's all to do with narrowing his responsibility to attacking and pressing, not marking or positioning. Moving him back into midfield would be an epic mistake. 

LJ realised that Reid was a natural finisher by observing him in training and 'converted' him into a striker so clearly Reid had that ability in his locker but as a midfielder that ability didn't get much opportunity to be revealed.

And you're right reverting Reid into his previous role would be a mistake but I'm sure LJ won't even consider it.

On 09/02/2018 at 06:14, BCFCadam said:

Cauley Woodrow :whistle:

Archived