Jump to content
IGNORED

The Bristol City v Sunderland Match Day Thread 31


Recommended Posts

Last season when we were in serious danger of relegation we had this ridiculous way of playing against teams with wingers where we would just literally leave them.

The amount of goals we conceded where either the left or right back would drift inside leaving their winger free was unbelievable. 

We actually haven’t done that a lot this season which has cut out a lot of those goals but we have let this creep back in the last few games for some reason. Why do we do this? 

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Flagon said:

Last season when we were in serious danger of relegation we had this ridiculous way of playing against teams with wingers where we would just literally leave them.

The amount of goals we conceded where either the left or right back would drift inside leaving their winger free was unbelievable. 

We actually haven’t done that a lot this season which has cut out a lot of those goals but we have let this creep back in the last few games for some reason. Why do we do this? 

I think the problem with this happening again now is Kent plays pretty much as an out and out winger which leave JB exposed on many one on ones with no back up. I think most of the goals we have conceded since new year have come down our left side.

I like Kent as a winger but not sure we can play this way.

 

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

We're also in relegation form. That not a concern?

Exactly my point mate. I couldn't give a **** if we are in the top six, losing a 3 goal lead at home to a very poor Sunderland team coupled with the run of fixtures we now have ahead of us gives me little confidence that we will reach the play offs to be honest.

Edited by bris red
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

It was Paterson was through in the box and running for the ball, the keeper got there first but Paterson was pulled back and slowed down.

It looks like RB must be watching a different game then as Ally said it was Kent who was through and his shirt was pulled, so who do we believe, did you have a better view than them or what?

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

It looks like RB must be watching a different game then as Ally said it was Kent who was through and his shirt was pulled, so who do we believe, did you have a better view than them or what?

Watching on ESPN end including replays and a close up of Pats complaining immediately after it happened. Possible there was another incident with Kent but if there was I missed it.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

They scored 2 freak goals!!! Hahahaha. 

Belter comments this evening 

It is not just today's result but the context of it that is worrying.

The context being a dreadful drop of form and a sense of deja vu from last season. That is what is worrying not a one off draw when winning 3-0. 

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Watching on ESPN end including replays and a close up of Pats complaining immediately after it happened. Possible there was another incident with Kent but if there was I missed it.

Could have been Yes, but i don't remember Ally saying anything about another pen claim.

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Our form is poor, the second half was shockingly poor, hardly any surprise that people are concerned- wouldn’t be much of a forum if all we had was happy clappers on cloud nine on every post.

Spot on. Don't like being doom and gloom but were in a bad spot right now however you try and dress it up.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Our form is poor, the second half was shockingly poor, hardly any surprise that people are concerned- wouldn’t be much of a forum if all we had was happy clappers on cloud nine on every post.

unfortunately, that's what a lot of posters want on this Forum,  they can't see the reality and there's always an excuse whatever happens.  Today was a not a day light robbery, it was due to the players taking their foot off the gas as they believed Sunderland would not come back from 3 - nil down.  You never know what will happen in football and they should know this. A good chance wasted to go further ahead from the chasing pack.

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

They scored 2 freak goals!!! Hahahaha. 

Belter comments this evening 

Bad result mate. Lacked professionalism.

Regardless of whether we pissed around too much up front, a competent top 6 team should not ship 3 in that manner and should comfortably take all 3 points.

It's not necessarily indicative of the season but it is still a bad result in its own right.

Edited by 054123
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

They scored 2 freak goals!!! Hahahaha. 

Belter comments this evening 

Are you the same badger08 from a couple of years ago?

If so, I'd be careful who I referred to as 'belters' given that you are one of the biggest ***** who has ever posted on here.

Edited by Stortz
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

unfortunately, that's what a lot of posters want on this Forum,  they can't see the reality and there's always an excuse whatever happens.  Today was a not a day light robbery, it was due to the players taking their foot off the gas as they believed Sunderland would not come back from 3 - nil down.  You never know what will happen in football and they should know this. A good chance wasted to go further ahead from the chasing pack.

This sums up how ridiculous the overreaction is perfectly. There is no one on here happy clapping. Not one post saying 'wayhay great point today lads'. Or claiming we're strolling into the playoffs or that this was some performance for the ages. There is no happy clapping, simply people reacting to posts that are the opposite to that - Absymal, terrible, looked like the worst part of last season etc. 

Go and look at the threads that are prominent right now and there are Top 6 no chance, LJ what were you thinking, Shocking game management etc.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, BCFC Richard said:

This sums up how ridiculous the overreaction is perfectly. There is no one on here happy clapping. Not one post saying 'wayhay great point today lads'. Or claiming we're strolling into the playoffs or that this was some performance for the ages. There is no happy clapping, simply people reacting to posts that are the opposite to that - Absymal, terrible, looked like the worst part of last season etc. 

Go and look at the threads that are prominent right now and there are Top 6 no chance, LJ what were you thinking, Shocking game management etc.

I was agreeing with what you said and giving my opinion as well, but you are right,  LJ  has just been on RB and said he got the tactics wrong and it was all his fault. However he did say he gave 3 players a piece of his mind re their performance.

Link to comment

Didn't see the game only the scores on BBC, however it goes without saying that any dreams we had of promotion are out of the window when you give up a 3-0 lead at home to a team at the bottom of the league. Still a good season for us but very disappointing when we capitulate like this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, Super said:

So we have already written off Diony i see.....

Sorry but his so say valuation fee being dangled in front of us if we did gain promotion and his outstanding goalscoring form..not.. this season I would expect to see some positive signs from what we've seen of him so far.

In our position we need players to be competing and improving the team....I thought this was the whole point of January transfers windows.

Even taking into account his so say flu/cold symptoms he appears to be a fair way off a starting place....oh well another foreign misfit to warm the bench.

 

 

Link to comment
10 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Surely Jim Montgomery would have been the 3rd instant all time legend for Sunderland fans for that fantastic double save.

That whole team all time legends up there I'm sure.

I do not like to use that word lightly however good those saves indeed were; Fielding is not a legend but what a ave he made for us today.

9 hours ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

Brownhill right back by looks of warm up

And wasn't he poor today. Kept giving the ball away.

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Thank goodness we’ve got past that dangerous 2-0 scoreline!

Little did we know but I always felt that in the first half we were still quite sloppy, giving the ball away needlessly and just an air of indiscipline. Hard to say i know given we were 3 goals to the good.

7 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Do we need a better captain on the pitch who gees the players up at 3-2 ?

I have never been a big Wright fan although he was ok today. 

I really don't get this Diony fella though. A few neat tackles and movements but no improvement on what we have. Fair to say I think that LJ is not much good and buying strikers... We now have a bag full of them doing not much more than bench warming. No surprise I suppose that he seems to like buying midfielders having been one himself. 

The worry for me is that few of the recent signings are getting any game time. Why bring players in seemingly at some cost and not have them making a contribution? Are they being written off already?

I would be surprised if we are still in the play offs next weekend. 

Saying that we will defy the odds and probably go and win at Elland Road for the first time in eons. We really need that result now.

Edited by havanatopia
Link to comment
8 hours ago, downendcity said:

Looked beter in the last 20 minutes and with a good lead ( hopefully 3-0 is not too dangerous a score) we can play our game, regain confidence and get back to the sort of form we saw before Christmas.

With hindsight we did get back to the form from before Christmas - well before Christmas, to exactly a year ago when we lost 3-0 half time lead at Derby.

Also 3-0 is a very dangerous score! :( 

I don't think we have been the same since conceding the last minute goal to Wolves. In the run up to Christmas we were running on empty die to the number of games and our injury list, but as at Hull, the team spirit was getting us through. I think the last minute Wolves goal knocked the mental stuffing out of the players, and although they raised their game against Man City, we have not really been the same team in league games. 

As other posts have said, the second half today was about game management, but we ( coach and players) perhaps our naivety and a lack of professionalism, which goes against the grain when set against the professionalism the club has shown in achieving the improvement we have seen over the last 12 months. 

How many of the other top 6 teams would have thrown away a 3-0 half time lead today? Unfortunately I cannot see that  any of them would have let Sunderland anywhere close and that perhaps could be the reason why we might just fall short this season. 

We cannot yet written of from the promotion race, but since the turn of the year we have lost most all of the momentum we carried until Christmas, while pretty well all our rivals seem to be gaining momentum. One positive is that despite a poor six weeks, we are still there about . The other is that LJ was able to pick the team up from a worse run about this time last season and he has some key players about to, or close to return. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

It looks like RB must be watching a different game then as Ally said it was Kent who was through and his shirt was pulled, so who do we believe, did you have a better view than them or what?

I think you’re confused... listening back  Ally says Pato had his shirt pulled  (Kent was involved in the build up though). 

 

 

Link to comment

And so the dust settles....

The only people who appear surprised by yesterday's result are those who swallowed the hype that we were, perhaps, at long last the real deal (despite having a woeful run of results amidst decent performances.)

First half Sunderland were utterly without merit; we should have been 5 up. We were undone by our usual combination of failings: wasteful in front of goal, too ponderous and over-elaborate, indisciplined and dodgy set-up.

Upfront: perm any 8 from 10 and with the exception of Flint's touch we were wasteful. Diggeridio should have scored a hat trick, Kent's Diony's and Patterson's finishing left everything to be desired and Bryan needs to understand his rocket wonder strikes are as rare as rocking-horse. Reid sparkled best when he dropped back looking for the ball to where he should play and where he's most productive. Offensively he again wasn't remotely a threat.

Ponderous: Diony doesn't fit Weelee's pattern of play (don't know why we acquired him but that doesn't make him a bad player,) and for all the neat triangles we would have created dozens more chances had we someone with speed of thought and vision to get the ball upfront quicker. In that respect we're akin Arsenal, flatter to look good yet will win now't trying to walk the thing into the net. First half our mids didn't get overrun as The Mackams were still on the coach; second half we showed our anticipated failings once equalised numbers were restored. WeeLee needs to decide whether it's stick or bust.

Indiscipline: 3 up cruising yet on the card front 2 down, all from stupid, niggly and unnecessary offences and that's before Bryan again opened his gob. Smith's all about combat but he needs to better pick his battles. Needless yellow and he's then always a yard on the defensive and it cost us. Digeridoo's card was utter stupidity. Ref very lenient on Wright who walked a tightrope after several reckless challenges and who although escaping a yellow looked on several occasions as if a red was coming his way. It cost us as it has on many occasions this season and WeeLee needs to get a grip.

Set-up: Brownhill is the new Skuse, Weelee's go to fill-in but give the kid a chance. Find his best position (clue - it ain't Right Back) and let him play there. Reid is not an out-and-out striker; play him in the hole. Bryan is an absolute and utter liability at Left Back. He may be one of our own, at Left Back we should wish he was one of theirs. Not sure if he believes his own hype but he sure as hell thinks he can stand 5 yards off his opponent (strange a grammar school boy is unable to work out why the ball keeps going past him.) He also believes he's quick enough to react when standing off his opponent - yeah, in your dreams lad. The free-kick for their second (yes I know the ref failed to make them take it from the right spot,) came from him arrogantly assuming he'd got the guy for pace. Wrong. The equaliser - oh yeah, same problem.

In respect of open play perhaps some of you hereabouts can answer a question that's been bothering a few of us for months: when we are forced on the defensive why does our back four go so narrow? They all fit inside the 6 yard box. For the life of me I can't fathom why our competent centre backs are unable to mop up balls in, with full backs going wide to shut out supply? Our mids, there are enough of them, should easily pick up the offensive runs into the centre of the box. It's clearly a well worked WeeLee drill but too often sees the full backs marking nothing more than the junction of the 6 yard box. They've no influence over high balls in or those pulled back to the edge of the box.

It's not all doom and gloom, we didn't lose although it felt as if we had. But Fearless, for Christ sake sort that kicking out. ...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

And so the dust settles....

The only people who appear surprised by yesterday's result are those who swallowed the hype that we were, perhaps, at long last the real deal (despite having a woeful run of results amidst decent performances.)

First half Sunderland were utterly without merit; we should have been 5 up. We were undone by our usual combination of failings: wasteful in front of goal, too ponderous and over-elaborate, indisciplined and dodgy set-up.

Upfront: perm any 8 from 10 and with the exception of Flint's touch we were wasteful. Diggeridio should have scored a hat trick, Kent's Diony's and Patterson's finishing left everything to be desired and Bryan needs to understand his rocket wonder strikes are as rare as rocking-horse. Reid sparkled best when he dropped back looking for the ball to where he should play and where he's most productive. Offensively he again wasn't remotely a threat.

Ponderous: Diony doesn't fit Weelee's pattern of play (don't know why we acquired him but that doesn't make him a bad player,) and for all the neat triangles we would have created dozens more chances had we someone with speed of thought and vision to get the ball upfront quicker. In that respect we're akin Arsenal, flatter to look good yet will win now't trying to walk the thing into the net. First half our mids didn't get overrun as The Mackams were still on the coach; second half we showed our anticipated failings once equalised numbers were restored. WeeLee needs to decide whether it's stick or bust.

Indiscipline: 3 up cruising yet on the card front 2 down, all from stupid, niggly and unnecessary offences and that's before Bryan again opened his gob. Smith's all about combat but he needs to better pick his battles. Needless yellow and he's then always a yard on the defensive and it cost us. Digeridoo's card was utter stupidity. Ref very lenient on Wright who walked a tightrope after several reckless challenges and who although escaping a yellow looked on several occasions as if a red was coming his way. It cost us as it has on many occasions this season and WeeLee needs to get a grip.

Set-up: Brownhill is the new Skuse, Weelee's go to fill-in but give the kid a chance. Find his best position (clue - it ain't Right Back) and let him play there. Reid is not an out-and-out striker; play him in the hole. Bryan is an absolute and utter liability at Left Back. He may be one of our own, at Left Back we should wish he was one of theirs. Not sure if he believes his own hype but he sure as hell thinks he can stand 5 yards off his opponent (strange a grammar school boy is unable to work out why the ball keeps going past him.) He also believes he's quick enough to react when standing off his opponent - yeah, in your dreams lad. The free-kick for their second (yes I know the ref failed to make them take it from the right spot,) came from him arrogantly assuming he'd got the guy for pace. Wrong. The equaliser - oh yeah, same problem.

In respect of open play perhaps some of you hereabouts can answer a question that's been bothering a few of us for months: when we are forced on the defensive why does our back four go so narrow? They all fit inside the 6 yard box. For the life of me I can't fathom why our competent centre backs are unable to mop up balls in, with full backs going wide to shut out supply? Our mids, there are enough of them, should easily pick up the offensive runs into the centre of the box. It's clearly a well worked WeeLee drill but too often sees the full backs marking nothing more than the junction of the 6 yard box. They've no influence over high balls in or those pulled back to the edge of the box.

It's not all doom and gloom, we didn't lose although it felt as if we had. But Fearless, for Christ sake sort that kicking out. ...

Spot on

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...