IGNORED

Coventry 2-2 1977 a stage play is in the making

Never to the dark side

What a night indeed....I remember at the end being thrown over the railings onto the pitch by some chap shouting "get on there then babber" ...(I was 15)... ended up jumping up & down on top the dugouts until the plastic roof gave way.....

Still have the Evening Post back page with the headline  "Gillies strikes with 1/2 million goal" ....be a bit more than that nowadays

The write up also mentions how Geoff Merrick had to sit out injured and how the "occasional" smoker that he was got through 20 of his own fags and 20 of a friends......

3 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

If there is one game i shall never forget as long as i live, it will be that one. Nobody who was there will ever forget.

The Great Escape.

Agreed, though for me along with Leeds away in the Cup, Portsmouth to clinch promotion, and the Big Cheese at Highbury a few months later.

Nothing in the last 40 years comes close to those 4 for me.

53 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Agreed, though for me along with Leeds away in the Cup, Portsmouth to clinch promotion, and the Big Cheese at Highbury a few months later.

Agreed!

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I remember the portsmouth game being a very tense night for me. We needed a draw, I think and it wasn't a particularly good game.  The atmosphere was electric though and it is the one and only time I have stepped onto the hallowed turf.

Such a fantastic night, never to be forgotten by those of who were there. So different back then - decided to go on the morning of the game, picked up girlfriend from work at 1pm and set off , had no idea where Highfield Rd was and simply followed the convoy of red and white up the Fosseway. Paid on the turnstiles at about 5.30 , already massive queues and when we got in the ground was already rammed. City fans were on 3 sides of the ground, must have been over 15k in there. Even at 0-2 down the City upped the noise level even more and the sheer collective will of the 15000 there ensured we couldn't lose. Last 10 minutes truly bizarre and the moments on the pitch after with the Cov fans will live with me forever...wonderful night!

The best away game I ever went to. We had a coach booked up from from Bristol central telephone exchange organised by Post office telephones where we all worked. I managed to get a couple of spare tickets for my 2 brothers in law. We all left work and got on to the coach out side, one of my brothers in law who was a docker was late. We all sat there waiting, when I could hear a lot of shouting and swearing, recognising my brothers in laws voice, I went to the front of the coach. He was standing there with about 50 cans of beer, our foreman was telling him that it was dry coach, no alcohol allowed. They only let him on after confiscating the beer, and putting it in the boot of the coach. I never heard the last of it, both from work and my brother in law. But what a match and atmosphere.  

On 12/02/2018 at 14:55, Nogbad the Bad said:

Same generation there mate - my best games exactly!

On 2/12/2018 at 14:55, Nogbad the Bad said:

Oh the Big Cheese goal.... I'll never forget. I was a 13 year old faffing round outside Number 91 (on the high pavement) when my Dad (God rest his soul) opened the front door and shouted that Cheeseley had scored. I leapt off that high pavement.... and landed on the bonnet of a Post office van that was driving down the road at the time. The driver (fortunately) was also a City fan and he was going ballistic to the sound of Radio Bristol at the time. I escaped serious injury, and the PO man filled in some B/S on his record about a big dog or something, and it all got forgotten about (apart from the immediate injuries and the occasional flashback)

On 2/12/2018 at 13:40, Fodbarmyarmy said:

What a night indeed....I remember at the end being thrown over the railings onto the pitch by some chap shouting "get on there then babber" ...(I was 15)... ended up jumping up & down on top the dugouts until the plastic roof gave way.....

Still have the Evening Post back page with the headline  "Gillies strikes with 1/2 million goal" ....be a bit more than that nowadays

The write up also mentions how Geoff Merrick had to sit out injured and how the "occasional" smoker that he was got through 20 of his own fags and 20 of a friends......

probably the best memory I've ever read on here, brilliant :D :D :D

If your auntie turnt out to be your uncle, after all, on account of her having the requisite two veg betwixt her legs, what if we hadn't drawn the game but lost it and been relegated? 

Would we have had three successive relegations?

And 1982, and all that?

Might we have been better off losing at Coventry, and having another crack at promotion? 

We can never know. But I sometimes wonder if .........

Definitely best ever away day memory.

Bunked off school for the day, and then got filmed by HTV getting ready to board the coach at Ashton Gate............weirdly remember that teachers thought it was totally acceptable reason to be off school though.

2-0 down Coventry fans singing that we were going down, 2-2 we were singing that they were going down, and then all celebrating together.

Brick through the coach window on the way home.

Ahh.....football!

Archived