IGNORED

New City chant everyone can join in with

ScottMurray'srightboot

21 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the causes of the poor atmospheres are quite deep rooted in society. Former Soviet countries for example have had lots of strife in their recent histories and are used to collectivist action and doing things as a group. It's come into football there too with all the choreography. I read a really good blog about this which i'll try and find... 

There is also the issue about the money in the English game. Most English clubs, ours included, want the middle class family demographic coming to games. They're more likely to buy official merchandise, perhaps more likely to buy refreshments.. if you've got groups of lads aged 18-35 they're going to go to the local pubs and wouldn't be seen dead in replica kit! There's also far less risk of trouble and incident with the family demographic.. 

The other thing is we see snapshots of supporters at their very best. You'll see a video of Turkish ultras lighting up their stadium with flares in a big game or Liverpool fans singing YNWA in a European tie.. but you don't see the Kop in silence as Liverpool lose 0-1 to West Brom in a terrible game in the middle of December.. it's very easy to be your own harshest critic. There were loads of videos of our home support vs United and our away support vs Man City on Twitter.. made us look good, but you don't then see our fans sat in silence despite being 3-0 up against Sunderland.

Ashton Gate isn't that bad. Definitely better than average. It could be better, and the frustrating thing is we know we've got it in us to be better. Ashton Gate is capable of some terrific atmospheres that any club in the country would be impressed by. Our away support is definitely better than average too, I'd also say we have a few more unique songs than we give ourselves credit for.. which other clubs sing the Wurzels for example? (Nobody say Yeovil, they don't really and besides they're basically a non-league side so don't count).

What could be done to improve it? Well, probably some sort of political revolution might change things! As a society we haven't had much upheaval and people are quite individualistic. We don't all feel obliged to 'bounce around' if ordered to by S82 whereas fans in Ukraine or Bosnia would feel they're duty bound to join in. Collectivism in action. Perhaps a more realistic solution would be to target 18-35 year olds, redesign AG so that home fans are behind both goals but the away support is nearby to prompt interaction (I'm surprised that not many people are making this point, the atmosphere has suffered due to that lack of interaction).

Interesting take as ever PF. My gripe is how quickly it’s gone down hill with the sudden resurgence in our fans seeing us as dare I say it a big club. 

07/08 was absolutely electric. Now we are doing as well and it’s like a morgue when we’re 3-0 up against what was a Premier League side last season. That change in such little time is a sad sign of the times IMO. 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Interesting take as ever PF. My gripe is how quickly it’s gone down hill with the sudden resurgence in our fans seeing us as dare I say it a big club. 

07/08 was absolutely electric. Now we are doing as well and it’s like a morgue when we’re 3-0 up against what was a Premier League side last season. That change in such little time is a sad sign of the times IMO. 

That's true - I wonder if in 07/08 it's because we believed we were punching above our weight.

Even when clubs like Norwich or QPR came to AG it felt more of an 'event'. I think deep down we knew that team was playing above itself.

Now it feels like we deserve to be competing, we've broken our transfer record in consecutive seasons, 7 figure signings aren't a big deal anymore, we've got a top ground, a real youth setup.. we feel like a bigger club. As a result the expectation is different and we aren't the underdogs anymore.. this carries over to fans.

I'm sure if we got promoted, for that first season anyway, the atmosphere would improve beyond recognition. We'd be underdogs again - which we as a fanbase seem to thrive off of (I suppose because it's what we've always known). 

In a way it would bet quite boring if we become a 'steady' prem side that places between 10th-16th each year. No real danger of going down, but no danger of doing anything else apart from existing. The atmosphere would suffer then.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I've never got my head around grown men jumping up and down chanting nothing more than Nursery rhymes...especially away from the ground.

Weird how some people are drawn to the 'pack or tribe' mentality and others aren't.

Each to their own of course...but it always looks and sounds mindless to me.

Suppose it's a good thing, as there wouldn't be any 'atmosphere' if everyone thought like me :laugh:

When I’m in the crowd I don’t see anything, my mind goes a blank......

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

But does the same happen via otib?

Judging from zero otib chants/songs we hear at AG, I'd definitely day not.

Irs not really been a otib thing. It did happen elsewhere on City sites. Johnson said was one.  old ideas can still be heard occasionally and seen. difference is there is nobody driving it along anymore as the old skool have got just that old and the young kids just copy what they see on YouTube amd what Palace are doing.

12 hours ago, CTIDhc said:

speaking of chants, how oh how do Liverpool fans come up with these class songs all the bloody time!

Class??? Blimey...which one? Reminds me of the remedial class at my old school :laughcont: Or should that of been...'class innit'... :laughcont: God help us all.

15 hours ago, CTIDhc said:

speaking of chants, how oh how do Liverpool fans come up with these class songs all the bloody time!

It's bloody Paul McCartney innit... tries 'em out at the footie, if they catch on - that's another one for the next album.

Been doing it for years, Gerry Marsden started it off, Mac copied, gone off the boil a bit now though, this one is shit!.... Bloody dodgy too.

On 15/02/2018 at 09:18, Phileas Fogg said:

The other thing is we see snapshots of supporters at their very best. You'll see a video of Turkish ultras lighting up their stadium with flares in a big game or Liverpool fans singing YNWA in a European tie.. but you don't see the Kop in silence as Liverpool lose 0-1 to West Brom in a terrible game in the middle of December.. it's very easy to be your own harshest critic. There were loads of videos of our home support vs United and our away support vs Man City on Twitter.. made us look good, but you don't then see our fans sat in silence despite being 3-0 up against Sunderland.

What could be done to improve it? Well, probably some sort of political revolution might change things! As a society we haven't had much upheaval and people are quite individualistic. We don't all feel obliged to 'bounce around' if ordered to by S82 whereas fans in Ukraine or Bosnia would feel they're duty bound to join in. Collectivism in action. Perhaps a more realistic solution would be to target 18-35 year olds, redesign AG so that home fans are behind both goals but the away support is nearby to prompt interaction (I'm surprised that not many people are making this point, the atmosphere has suffered due to that lack of interaction).

An interesting post. My first point is that of selective filming of atmospheres. What I can say is that Turkish fans are mental. It is louder at the Turk Telecom Arena when they are 2-0 down to a small team than I've ever heard AG bar just a handful of occasions. They just don't stop either, it is amazing.

Your second point about interaction for me begs the question why? If you think about famous home ends throughout the world, the most passionate home supporters tend to be about as far away from the away fans as possible. Dortmund, Munich, both Milan clubs, Roma, Juve, Lazio, Fenerbahce, Galatasary etc. This list goes on. 

Since I have been to City, the EE has always been shared with away fans, but I'm told when it was our 'home end', with the away fans in the open end, it was great. If anything, I think the proximity to away fans has been detrimental to our atmospheres. Many of the guys in S82 are there to abuse people and not to sing in support. The loudest chants (bar post goal) are often shouting 'winker' at the corner taker instead of actually supporting the team.

I'd like to see the Atyeo shared again, but invite those fans who want to call the away fans 'cants' or just hurl abuse in that section, whilst fans who want to sing about City stay in the corner of the SS. They of course can and will sing together, but I feel many fans in S82 don't join in and dilute the experience for everyone else.

On 15/02/2018 at 09:18, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the causes of the poor atmospheres are quite deep rooted in society. Former Soviet countries for example have had lots of strife in their recent histories and are used to collectivist action and doing things as a group. It's come into football there too with all the choreography. I read a really good blog about this which i'll try and find... 

There is also the issue about the money in the English game. Most English clubs, ours included, want the middle class family demographic coming to games. They're more likely to buy official merchandise, perhaps more likely to buy refreshments.. if you've got groups of lads aged 18-35 they're going to go to the local pubs and wouldn't be seen dead in replica kit! There's also far less risk of trouble and incident with the family demographic.. 

Ashton Gate isn't that bad. Definitely better than average. It could be better, and the frustrating thing is we know we've got it in us to be better. Ashton Gate is capable of some terrific atmospheres that any club in the country would be impressed by. Our away support is definitely better than average too, I'd also say we have a few more unique songs than we give ourselves credit for.. which other clubs sing the Wurzels for example? (Nobody say Yeovil, they don't really and besides they're basically a non-league side so don't count).

This is one of the best posts I've ever read on OTIB :clap:

Archived