IGNORED

Strangest or funniest thing you’ve seen at Ashton Gate

Red Army 75

10 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

The parachute bloke delivering the match ball that landed on the stand roof.

The Neil Diamond tribute act. Can't remember if it was before the game or half time. 

Sam Mason.

Baldrick singing 

Sam Mason, when she was doing the job Downsy does now back in the late 90’s, she was stood by the benches one game and the Ref had to be replaced as he was injured, some old boy sat in the Williams Stand shouted out “Sam Mason, get on there and give him one”!

A few for me ....the Leeds fan bouncing down the dolman (had a great view from the Williams) ....the goal that wasn’t (can’t remember the game?) when the ball went in and bounced out and wasn’t given....and the howler from David James when he came out and punched the ball into his own net .....(although not funny at the time) .....:yawn:

Freddie Sears.

15 Aug 2009 · Neil Warnock reacted with fury after officials in charge of Crystal Palace's match at Bristol City failed to notice

4 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

the goal that wasn’t (can’t remember the game?) when the ball went in and bounced out and wasn’t given...

Sat in the grandstand about 10 years ago, noticed smoke coming up from the floor in the row in front of us. We thought it couldve been a kitchen fire under the stand on fire so told a steward to check it out.
While the stewards were checking with the kitchen, the bloke in front jumped up and started screaming...
He had a fag butt caught in the crease of his jeans by the heel which was burning through the material slowly up the leg 
Must've hurt but was hilarious at the time!

One I remember back in 2004 I think. We were losing to Sheffield Wednesday comfortably, I seem to remember a Wednesday player absolutely booting the ball into the Dolman for no reason knocking a fan out cold. Think the match got abandoned for a long time but the referee only decided to give about three minutes stoppage time.

Another funny memory, playing Leeds in a friendly the ball got stuck in the Williams stand, dropped back down and smacked someone straight on the head. :clapping:

Many years ago I remember a game where the ref had been terrible and not given City a thing all the way through.  During the second half a thunderbolt of a shot knocked him clean out and I remember a guy behind me shouting "God moves in mysterious ways". It was the religious tone of his voice that was the best part.

Baldrick singing and the wolf and the pigs were a laugh too.

I remember Gary Shelton lamping a clearance out by the old Dolman/Open End corner and knocking a copper`s helmet off.

Not at AG but I think the funniest thing I ever saw at a match was at Kenilworth Road back when Luton had their plastic pitch. At half time a cat ran on and took a crap in the penalty area. Funny in itself but got ten times better when it promptly tried to bury it`s leavings!

Some more:

In one game in the 1980s a guy in the East End incessantly shouted at the opposing keeper that he had slept with his wife.

Against NottIngham Forest in the league cup semi final a City fan sitting on a dinghy being held aloft in the East End.

A supporter getting onto the pitch to take a swipe at the ref - he missed and fell over.

The Dolman bugler. Whatever happened to him?

Millwall fans lighting a bonfire in the open end was an unusual sight. 

Not at AG, but I found it funny in a game at QPR when their keeper took a bite out of a pie that had been thrown at him from the away end.

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Programmes on the pitch vs Cardiff 0-6

Gary Johnson's trip on Chopra

Cotterill losing the plot with fans

Shedman

Leeds fan cascading down the Dolman like a podgy surfer flag

Through his Belly, win a Telly!

Woman turning round to face the pitch, only to get smacked square in the face with a ball and ending up drenched in her own boiling Bovril. That was fairly unpleasant to witness (and probably not all that much enjoyable for her)

What made the Cardiff program saga funniest was the were free if you were a seasone ticket holder 

33 minutes ago, Offside said:

A supporter getting onto the pitch to take a swipe at the ref - he missed and fell over.

Wow I'd forgotten that. We lost the game 3-2 as I recall, was it Peterborough? If he had connected that would have made all kinds of history that we don't need.

My personal pick I wasn't there for myself, but it was when people went to AG before 2pm to get a discount on a pie.

When Tottenham tried to take the East End, were driven out and a few hundred were marched around the pitch to the Park End.

While most of the Park Enders had gone into the East End for the match, a few of us were scattered around the dividing fence. The Tottenham fans were gathered on the running track while waiting to be funnelled into the away pen. All full of bravado, congratulating themselves for getting on to the East End (albeit not getting beyond the side terrace) and giving it the big’un to their mates up on the terrace.

Now the pies were good in those days with lots of gravy and a nice thick crusty edge. One of our lot launched this pie, which looped up and hit this Spurs yob full square in the face. An absolute belter of a throw. The Spurs fan face was a classic, not just as it was covered in pie ingredients but also the shock that City were in ‘their’ end as well. 

Happy days.

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Tom Ritchie for some reason taking his shirt off during a game, and putting it back on back to front , and playing the remainder of the match with a big number 8 on his chest, 

Bilge I remember that  wasn' it because we had two players with the same number and when the ref noticed he made sir Tom change his shirt? He then promptly put it on the wrong way round  doh!

44 minutes ago, Thornbury Red said:

Bilge I remember that  wasn' it because we had two players with the same number and when the ref noticed he made sir Tom change his shirt? He then promptly put it on the wrong way round  doh!

Yes that actually rings a bell, but he must have deliberately put it on back to front surely? Was a surreal site anyway. I reckon if we knew the year it happened I would have the programme from the next home match which would surely have a photo of it. 

Archived