IGNORED

David Rennie in court

22A

Reported on BBC Oxford this evening that David Rennie set up a company selling autographed Premier League souvenirs. Wayne Rooney saw a Man U shirt with his signature on, but it wasn't his writing. It came out in court that Rennie's company made over a million selling fake souvenirs.

I assume this is the same Dave Rennie who was a hero of City's 1990 team?

11 minutes ago, 22A said:

Reported on BBC Oxford this evening that David Rennie set up a company selling autographed Premier League souvenirs. Wayne Rooney saw a Man U shirt with his signature on, but it wasn't his writing. It came out in court that Rennie's company made over a million selling fake souvenirs.

No, don't think so. Age doesn't tally.

9 minutes ago, 22A said:

In the same team as Mark Aizlewood  .

3 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

and Andy Llewellyn I think? 

Though agree with @Verloc, the age is too young. Also, the press would surely have mentioned the words 'ex-footballer' somewhere in the report. 

It's not the same bloke. The ex-footballer is in his 50s, this bloke is in his 40s. And he doesn't look like "that" Dave Rennie:)

27 minutes ago, 22A said:

Blimey that was a big jump wasn’t it because some bloke had the same name

I remember at the time he was the sort of player we regularly took the pish out of, but as soon as anyone else did we defended him to the end. 

Always reminded me of one of the lifeguards on the then popular Baywatch.

He was the reason for me coming the closest I ever have to lamping another City fan. it was away at Norwich in the cup (lost 2-1 with their winner going in off Robert Rosario`s fat arse, think the Chief got ours) and he spent the whole game just slagging DR off and I finally snapped and went for him but my mate grabbed me and the bloke was told in no uncertain terms to find somewhere else to stand for the rest of the game.

2 hours ago, poland_exile said:

is it my faltering memory, or wasn't Rennie regularly booed by us? what a belter against the gas, but can't remember much else of his time. 

I don’t remember Rennie being booed, key member of promotion winning team, the rock behind Shelton, Smith and Gavin, near post fick on king and quite a hard tackler. Good player

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

The real Rennie 53 according to Wiki, the con mans 46.
Yes @poland_exile he was given some undeserved stick. I liked him but for a section of the support he wasn't good enough, good enough to play 82 times  in the Prem with Cov though. Go figure.

1 hour ago, adamski said:

I don’t remember Rennie being booed, key member of promotion winning team, the rock behind Shelton, Smith and Gavin, near post fick on king and quite a hard tackler. Good player

Spot on. Some things never change. Then as now, some people couldn’t recognise a very good player when they saw one.

9 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Rennie was great for us and went onto bigger and better things. Can't remember him being a (Tony) target of the boo-boys?

I remember him having hair, and then after a couple of season of Steve Gaillers short corners/near post flick ons being devoid of stringy bits.

He should put in a claim.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I remember him having hair, and then after a couple of season of Steve Gaillers short corners/near post flick ons being devoid of stringy bits.

He should put in a claim.

I've always thought it unfair that Steve Galliers has a shopping centre in the middle of town named after him. He wasn't THAT good, was he?

58 minutes ago, Flounder said:

I remember he was good at pointing , vertical clearances and the near post flick on. However in my youth it was probably difficult to look past the glamour of Shelton and give due credit to the much maligned roll of defensive midfielder.

yeah, that's pretty much my foggy memory of him. As a teenager you don't really appreciate the water carriers, you wanted everyone to have loads of tricks or bang the ball into the net - I'd reckon that those booing him were all the younger uns like myself as opposed to our wider fan base. It certainly wasn't a case of outright hostility / persecution from what i recall, more like a lukewarm connection to the younger crowd that occasionally veered into the boos. 

Archived