IGNORED

Baker - £3.9m?

Warwickshire Red

Interesting piece on BBC Sport about Aston Villa on reduced costs but main interest is the reference to Nathan Baker to BCFC for £3.9m.  Don't know if that's true and not small change but most definitely worth it IMO.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43088167

Here's the snippet:

"Most of Steve Bruce's transfer business was done in the January 2017 window, when he bought Brentford striker Scott Hogan (£9m, rising to £12m), Henri Lansbury (£2.75m,) Birkir Bjarnason (undisclosed) and Barnsley pair Conor Hourihane and James Bree (joint undisclosed fee).

But these were offset by the sales of Rudy Gestede (Middlesbrough, £6m) Jordan Veretout (Fiorentina, £6.3m), Ashley Westwood (Burnley, £5m), Nathan Baker (Bristol City, £3.9m), Carlos Sanchez, Fiorentina, £2.7m), Jordan Amavi (Marseille, £1.8m loan fee), Leandro Bacuna (Reading, £1.35m)."

The article makes it out as though those loan deals and free signings won't cost anything. Both Terry and Samba will be on massive wages (90-100k week for the pair imo) as well as massive signing on fees (definitely in the millions) for both and the loan deals will all involve a large percentage of the players wages and large loan fees. it's hardly as though they have spent nothing...

2 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Best £3.9m we will ever spend!

Agree...And if that was offset by £Xm of future clauses of the Kodjia deal (as per speculation) that might never have been achieved, then the actual money spent will be significantly less.

I’ve heard that Baker cost anything from £400k to £3.5m....and now £3.9m.

I wonder whether it was in fact - gross £3.9m, minus Kodjia future fees of £3.5m cancelled and therefore £400k net.

Very good player, and shows we upgraded the squad in the summer.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree...And if that was offset by £Xm of future clauses of the Kodjia deal (as per speculation) that might never have been achieved, then the actual money spent will be significantly less.

I wonder whether it was in fact - gross £3.9m, minus Kodjia future fees of £3.5m cancelled and therefore £400k net.

And you wonder if we would have bought him if we didn`t think Aden might be off.

Worked out alright I think!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Me too , I would agree if it was £3.9m very good business. If it was £400k it's the best signing the club has EVER made ! 
Good when he was on loan, absolute diamond since it became permanent .

7 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

And you wonder if we would have bought him if we didn`t think Aden might be off.

Worked out alright I think!

I was really impressed with him in his loan spell here, and one of the major reasons we were eventually able to move to a back 4. He helped Flint massively in that transition, despite being the "junior partner".

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was really impressed with him in his loan spell here, and one of the major reasons we were eventually able to move to a back 4. He helped Flint massively in that transition, despite being the "junior partner".

I had doubts about him during his loan spell . 

He was often injured and his discipline wasn't great .

I wasn't exactly overenamoured when we re-signed him but he has grown up and developed into a top player .

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I wasn't exactly overenamoured when we re-signed him but he has grown up and developed into a top player .

Exactly the same. I was almost underwhelmed when he came back- tried, tested, didn't stop the leak. How wrong I was. You could make a strong case for him being our most integral player. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Problem during the loan spell Dave, I thought he was a Red card waiting to happen. He looks far more disciplined now, top quality.

26 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Problem during the loan spell Dave, I thought he was a Red card waiting to happen. He looks far more disciplined now, top quality.

I think there were two or three games where he had me worried, but I do think he came with a ‘reckless’ tag, and for the most he was quite a calming figure.

My gut feel was that in those games where he was ‘feeling’ his back injury (historic issues) his mind wasn’t alway completely focussed and he lacked his sharpness to time those tackles.

Blackburn was definitely a red mist day!!!

9 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Nothing changed then

9 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Rumour at the time, mainly from a few Villa fans I know, was £3m. As already said, even £3.9m would be an absolute bargain.

Question... if we stay in the championship this season and a premier league club came in for Baker, what’s the selling price? Would he fetch more than Flint?

I think he would. We would probably look at doubling (or even trebling) our money given his performances and he`s only 26 so has his best years ahead of him IMO.

Baker is our main man defensively - simply, we are not as solid when he isn't playing. You can visually see some opposition strikers taking a look at him and shying from the challenge.

He also brings the best out of his central defensive partner, whoever that may be. Baker + Flint= good, Baker + Wright = good, Flint + Wright = not so good.

I suspect JB feels more comfortable with Bakes at left centre back too.

One of our best and most consistent players this season.

17 hours ago, JBFC II said:

The article makes it out as though those loan deals and free signings won't cost anything. Both Terry and Samba will be on massive wages (90-100k week for the pair imo) as well as massive signing on fees (definitely in the millions) for both and the loan deals will all involve a large percentage of the players wages and large loan fees. it's hardly as though they have spent nothing...

Terry and Bamba will be on more than that between them.

I'm sure I saw before that Terry alone is on 60-80k

Archived