IGNORED

Baker - £3.9m?

Warwickshire Red

15 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Rumour at the time, mainly from a few Villa fans I know, was £3m. As already said, even £3.9m would be an absolute bargain.

Question... if we stay in the championship this season and a premier league club came in for Baker, what’s the selling price? Would he fetch more than Flint?

Better player than Flint and younger than Flint with longer on his contract(?) absolutely worth more.

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Can't see Samba being on any more than 30k a week surely? If so that's a massive waste of money

Samba's been on big money most of his career. It would have taken big raises when at Blackburn and then at Anzi.

Would have gone down a bit since Anzi, but 30k is probably lower end of what he's on.

Edit, when he signed for Anzi he was getting 100k p/w

13 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Samba's been on big money most of his career. It would have taken big raises when at Blackburn and then at Anzi.

Would have gone down a bit since Anzi, but 30k is probably lower end of what he's on.

Edit, when he signed for Anzi he was getting 100k p/w

Fair enough, forgot he went to Anzhi on that wage! Makes it seem even more ridiculous that they have two mid 30 year olds on 120k a week, that's more than most of our first team combined...

2 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

9 goals in 21 league games - pretty good ratio if you ask me!

Theres no pleasing some people

His overall game is pretty poor. First touch and distribution especially! Just doesn’t give me confidence of him winning us games. Think other teams around us have more strength in depth than what we have. 

The likes of Clarke, Hoilett, Sessegnon, Costa, Snodgrass, Assombalonga. Famara doesn’t come close to any of those in my opinion.

£3.9m for Baker is a bargain when you consider what we paid for Fam. That was my point.

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

His overall game is pretty poor. First touch and distribution especially! Just doesn’t give me confidence of him winning us games. Think other teams around us have more strength in depth than what we have. 

The likes of Clarke, Hoilett, Sessegnon, Costa, Snodgrass, Assombalonga. Famara doesn’t come close to any of those in my opinion.

£3.9m for Baker is a bargain when you consider what we paid for Fam. That was my point.

I’d suggest you watch the games bud

8 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

I’d suggest you watch the games bud

Exactly - Fam is proving to be worth the money we paid.......still not quite there in terms of match fitness but his goals return since he came back into the team has been very good!

Long may it continue....starting at Leeds tomorrow

Yoo reddsss

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

5.2 million is Nothing when top championship players go for 15 million.  He’s not the best but he’s proving his worth.

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

One of those is a CB, the other is a striker.

The 2 markets are totally different. By the way seeing as Sessegnon is a left back and Snodgrass a midfielder, you should be comparing them with Bryan & Paterson.

Based on what we have seen so far, his age and his goals to games ratio Diedhiou is worth every penny we paid for him.

49 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Viila fans not happy that he left.

I wonder if Elphick, Chester, Richards or Samba are actually that much better than Baker? I like Chester a lot but I don't think any of those 4 are markedly better than NB, case could be made for Terry, but Baker isn't gonna be on 80k a week.

Whilst having a drink with a fair number of .Wolves fans before the game at Bemmy cricket club they were stumped when we were telling them that Bakes was by far our best defender and first name on the teamsheet.  Even at close to £4m for me it's by far our best signing of the season.

15 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

I wonder if Elphick, Chester, Richards or Samba are actually that much better than Baker? I like Chester a lot but I don't think any of those 4 are markedly better than NB, case could be made for Terry, but Baker isn't gonna be on 80k a week.

Terry always lines up on the LHS of the CB pairing, so you could imagine Baker was surplus.  Baker (as I’ve just posted elsewhere) is our modern day Norman Hunter.  Not saying he’s as Norm’s level, but in style.

Is VAT payable on transfer fees as in effect a player is being bought? If so then 20% of all transfer fees paid in this country go the HMRC.                                                Hmmm; in that case, some Premier League clubs have between them probably paid for an entire fleet of aircraft carriers.

Before any pedantic jumps in, I know, clubs don't actually buy players, just their contracts.

Archived