IGNORED

What would you give or give up for city to get promoted.

barneyrubble

4 minutes ago, Paul Cheesy said:

Am I the only one who isn't really bothered about the Premier League? I actually prefer the competitiveness the Championship and don't relish the prospect of battling every week for premiership survival. 

Nope. You're definitely not the only one. Part of me hates the premiership with a passion. 

20 minutes ago, Paul Cheesy said:

Am I the only one who isn't really bothered about the Premier League? I actually prefer the competitiveness the Championship and don't relish the prospect of battling every week for premiership survival. 

I get what you mean. I'd miss the chase if we got promoted. Wouldn't feel the same either if we got relegated from the PL and was trying to get promoted again 

21 minutes ago, Paul Cheesy said:

I suspect there are more of us with this view than people think. One season might be OK just to see but long term? I really don`t know TBH.

All things considered I think I`d rather see us going toe to toe with Derby, Fulham, Wednesday and Boro every week than watch us getting dicked week in week out by Arsenal or Chelsea. Look at Hull in the cup last night - if that was us would anyone honestly say they had enjoyed their trip to Stamford Bridge?

22 minutes ago, Paul Cheesy said:

I can see the argument but I would also be excited to see the players we can add to our group. To see our current group battle each week against the best. 

I am with you though. I wouldn’t part with anything to get there. The championship is a fine league that doesn’t disappoint in terms of entertainment whether that be action or drama. I want to see us promoted of course but I am still excited to see our club grow. We went from relegation candidates to playoff contenders in a season. If we don’t go up we could have a Wolves type season next year. So I am happy not sacrificing anything because I think we will get there in the next 3 years anyway. 

30 minutes ago, Paul Cheesy said:

Well said.

Im exactly the same. If/when we get there it'll be a struggle for survival and although we'll have attractive opposition the prospect of facing top teams with little more than hope each game doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.

Even if we did survive in the PL  we'd never be able to match the financial clout of the big boys and therefore never have a realistic chance of doing a Leicester.

The best we could hope for would one of the cups and although we didn't win it we did extremely well this season in one of them.

So.......I'm kinda 'on the fence' with reaching the PL.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Well said.

Im exactly the same. If/when we get there it'll be a struggle for survival and although we'll have attractive opposition the prospect of facing top teams with little more than hope each game doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.

Even if we did survive in the PL  we'd never be able to match the financial clout of the big boys and therefore never have a realistic chance of doing a Leicester.

The best we could hope for would one of the cups and although we didn't win it we did extremely well this season in one of them.

It's a struggle for survival in this league . Look at Reading from promotion favourites to relegation candidates in less than a year.

You need to fight every single minute of every match to try and get something.

As a balance to your argument I give you Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford ... all clubs of a similar size to ours or smaller who are not doing so badly.

Equally Leicester are of a similar size to us ( talking about ground size  and potential ) and although a ' perfect storm ' is unlikely to happen often ,it is , nevertheless, possible for a team to break the top six monopoly.

So I would be happy to be in the Prem though it is not the utopia many believe.

Perhaps you'd prefer to be hammering the likes of Colchester, Gillingham and Northampton in the third division ? 

1 hour ago, Paul Cheesy said:

I love the competitive side of the Championship, but compared to the last 2 seasons where we've been battling to stay in it, I'd happily take a season battling for Premier League survival!

People don’t care about Prem football but boo or get pissy on here when we lose or look like dropping out the top 6 - ok then - I believe you - no really.

You want mid-table obscurity not win streaks so what is the point of reacting negatively or getting upset about results or lack of transfer activity as long as we are comfortably above the relegation zone?

Give me a break - I want us to be everything we can be and that means joining the elite league.

8 minutes ago, Neo said:

People don’t care about Prem football but boo or get pissy on here when we lose or look like dropping out the top 6 - ok then - I believe you - no really.

You want mid-table obscurity not win streaks so what is the point of reacting negatively or getting upset about results or lack of transfer activity as long as we are comfortably above the relegation zone?

Give me a break - I want us to be everything we can be and that means joining the elite league.

But that's the Catch 22.

Our natural and very clear objective as a club and fans has to be promotion to the PL, but many of us not only dislike everything about the PL but fear there will be very little enjoyment in supporting Bristol City there.

47 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It's a struggle for survival in this league . Look at Reading from promotion favourites to relegation candidates in less than a year.

You need to fight every single minute of every match to try and get something.

As a balance to your argument I give you Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford ... all clubs of a similar size to ours or smaller who are not doing so badly.

Equally Leicester are of a similar size to us ( talking about ground size  and potential ) and although a ' perfect storm ' is unlikely to happen often ,it is , nevertheless, possible for a team to break the top six monopoly.

So I would be happy to be in the Prem though it is not the utopia many believe.

Perhaps you'd prefer to be hammering the likes of Colchester, Gillingham and Northampton in the third division ? 

I realise all that Major.

My comments were entirely my own  but it was Paul Cheesy's post that made me appreciate that I'm not the only one who has "reservations " about the PL.

Anyhow, its academic, we aren't there yet....

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Well said.

I would actually say that matching the financial clout of many of the Prem teams could be quite possible, if our billionaire owner is prepared to do so. 

It would be our pulling power to get any top level talent, that would be the problem. 

If anything I just want to see one season there and cash in so that we can help the club grow financially and become a more regular top end Championship team. 

At the moment we still are a small club in this league financially in terms of FFP, I'd just like us to be able to buy an established player here and there rather than always looking for bargains because we can't pay the wages of the established players. If we lose Bryan and Don't at the end of the season next season is going to be a massive test for us because they are not easy to replace at all. 

For me it is no debate.  I want to see City play at the pinnacle of English football; but I want proper investment when we do, so that the story doesn't turn into the disaster of our last spell at the top.

I am not convinced, given the five pillars and the last window, that we would build on success.  Certainly without new money being added to existing money in the club and an attitude of yes we can, rather than one of well we might, I have doubts that we would secure our place and then advance towards Europe etc.

In my view the current policy re recruitment will only take us so far.  It was a very different game and standards I agree when we last made it i.e. a good second level team could give it a real go at the top, but even then we spent money to enhance our success, but sadly not enough. 

4 hours ago, Paul Cheesy said:

how do you know we would struggle, it's not inevitable.

Archived