IGNORED

Ex City Players and Staff - John Gorman

Sandhurst Red

A very random post perhaps , but felt worthy to share.

I went out on my bike with some friends this morning around Sandhurst in Berkshire and as is normal - we stopped for a coffee at the end of our ride in a nearby place called Crowthorne.

We got talking with a man outside who was vagueably familiar and football came up in discussion - and my love of all things Bristol City. At this point the man we were talking to started to smile and the penny dropped - and lo and behold it was John Gorman.

He now lives this way and is an artist doing commissions for many pros and cricketers too and we chatted all things football for over an hour.

He still has a huge amount of love for the club and said he was once interviewed for the manager role itself but didn’t get it and how much he loved working with Carey when he was starting out. He spoke of his time at other clubs and what happened at Swindon and with England at work Cup 98 and how his wife sadly passed away 12 years ago when he was a manager etc.

To add to this, he was such a humble and genuine person. It was fascinating to talk to him and it was again so nice to meet someone who speaks of how the club are progressing and the impact it is having with those that work in and around football in the UK. The admiration for what we are doing is being identified and recognised by many.

Anyone else had a similar experience with a former city player, manager or coach?

944F62FB-922E-485F-B113-89769B9CE317.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sandhurst Red said:

I went out on my bike with some friends this morning around Sandhurst in Berkshire and as is normal - we stopped for a coffee at the end of our ride in a nearby place called Crowthorne.

We got talking with a man outside who was vagueably familiar and football came up in discussion - and my love of all things Bristol City. At this point the man we were talking to started to smile and the penny dropped - and lo and behold it was John Gorman.

He now lives this way and is an artist doing commissions for many pros and cricketers too and we chatted all things football for over an hour.

He still has a huge amount of love for the club and said he was once interviewed for the manager role itself but didn’t get it and how much he loved working with Carey when he was starting out. He spoke of his time at other clubs and what happened at Swindon and with England at work Cup 98 and how his wife sadly passed away 12 years ago when he was a manager etc.

To add to this, he was such a humble and genuine person. It was fascinating to talk to him and it was again so nice to meet someone who speaks of how the club are progressing and the impact it is having with those that work in and around football in the UK. The admiration for what we are doing is being identified and recognised by many.

Anyone else had a similar experience with a former city player, manager or coach?

Nice story and top publicity for Costa Coffee . 

Yep, met Les Bardsley and his wife in my local in Shaldon.

At least I think I did!

Had a long conversation about Alan Dicks and the ‘good times’. One of those occasions where you think you recognise the chap but don’t ask him who he is! I thought at the time, how the hell did he have all that ‘insider knowledge’. The penny dropped about a week later.

Truly, one of the nicest couples you could wish to meet and reds through to the core. Only had good things to say about the staff and players of the time. 

1 hour ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Many moons ago I had a wine business in Nottingham. I had a tasting planned with a client and he asked me if I minded if he invited a friend.

Of course I said no problem.

The evening of the rendez vous my client invites me into his home at presents John Galley to me .

:sun:

We talked quite a bit of nonsense about football, nothing that I can recall of much interest . 

John , as I now know him as , ran a lodging house for the Forest apprentices in addition he worked in the finance industry.

The next day I called my client and said that I hoped I hadn't annoyed JG with my fawning he said not to worry as he loved it and thoroughly enjoyed the wine and the moment spent together. 

3 hours ago, Br 1st ol said:

That will be St Brendan’s then...

Yep, we had a very good football team, putting the all-conquering Rugby team into the shadows.  We should’ve been in the National Cup, which I think we woukd’ve given a good shot, but an admin error meant we weren’t allowed to enter.

42 minutes ago, Zip Nolan said:

He started as a youngster at Briz as my time (as a player) was coming to an end there. 

Yep, I used to go and watch at Ironmould Lane if I didn’t have a game....and then a few years later I ended up playing there.  He was unlucky at Coventry, having broken through, he got glandular fever and was out for over a year.  Then released and went to Peterborough (then in the second tier) where he was virtually an ever-present, but they got relegated and he took a career outside of football, playing for Worcester City for years, who had a few ex-Cov players.

Always look for Cov’s results.

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, went to College with him.  Good player, had a very good head on his shoulder too.  You know him too?

When people criticise pro players it is perhaps worth bearing in mind the obstacles they have overcome just to be earning a living at the game.

How many good players for one reason or another just don't make it .

The fall out must be enormous.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, we had a very good football team, putting the all-conquering Rugby team into the shadows.  We should’ve been in the National Cup, which I think we woukd’ve given a good shot, but an admin error meant we weren’t allowed to enter.

Yep, I used to go and watch at Ironmould Lane if I didn’t have a game....and then a few years later I ended up playing there.  He was unlucky at Coventry, having broken through, he got glandular fever and was out for over a year.  Then released and went to Peterborough (then in the second tier) where he was virtually an ever-present, but they got relegated and he took a career outside of football, playing for Worcester City for years, who had a few ex-Cov players.

Always look for Cov’s results.

We was in the National Cup. Unbeaten in the regional element - I scored twice against that school in Winterbourne. One either side of halftime. A cracking 30 yarder own goal and a bundled header with minutes left to make it 2-2.

We won the regional final at Fry’s.

Then drew Millfield away in the first round. Christ almighty. Calves the size of our thighs.

Came back after a 5-1 drubbing......

Happy days!

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

A football team at the mighty St Brendan's?? :surrender: That wouldn't have happened in my days at St B's. I assume you're talking about the 6th form rather than the old College as it was? Rugby was certainly god at the old incarnation! The first 15 were national champions on many occasions. 

50 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

A football team at the mighty St Brendan's?? :surrender: That wouldn't have happened in my days at St B's. I assume you're talking about the 6th form rather than the old College as it was? Rugby was certainly god at the old incarnation! The first 15 were national champions on many occasions. 

Yes, 1986-88, 6th form

There probably wasn’t but as there were a few decent footballers in the 2 years I was there, there was. 

The second year was by far the better team and therefore we were coached by (Art Teacher) Rod Wesson who eventually was one of the main men in the Rovers Development Set Up. 

Really enjoyed my two years there. 

On 18/02/2018 at 14:07, Ska Junkie said:

Ah, I left in 1983, the last year of the old college. Great school but brutal as hell by modern standards. I didn't even know there was a St B's football team TBH. 

me neither. I started at St B's in 1974.... sitting next to the (now) owner of Bath Rugby. I also played in the Rugby team every year I was there

2 hours ago, megansdad said:

Met John on Armistice Sunday at the very same Costa in Crowthorne - since when we have met several times. We are working on a project that I think, and hope, many on here will enjoy. Will update when i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

Do you live local?

I head back to the Gate often, so if you ever want a lift you are more than welcome. 

Archived