IGNORED

Ex City Players and Staff - John Gorman

Sandhurst Red

Thanks Sandhurst Red - live locally in Silchester - head back and usually stay overnight with my father who lives in Bristol so usually and overnight stay for me.  Thanks very much though. Yep was AM under Joe Jordan having joined us from Swindon. Left to go to be part of Hoddle's coaching team for England. 

John Gorman was a true gent when at Swindon and in 93 queuing up for the play off final tickets at the county ground he came over and spent ages chatting with the fans and rumour had it he was the one the players would talk to daily as Hoddle was ignorant and quite distant from them apart from tactics and match days. 

29 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

John Gorman was a true gent when at Swindon and in 93 queuing up for the play off final tickets at the county ground he came over and spent ages chatting with the fans and rumour had it he was the one the players would talk to daily as Hoddle was ignorant and quite distant from them apart from tactics and match days. 

I remember going to the gate with my wife when we played Swindon. We sat in the enclosure and the more the jokers behind the bench tried to wind him up the more he laughed, and gave stick back.

He clapped our fans at the end and they clapped him back, it was really good to see.

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I remember going to the gate with my wife when we played Swindon. We sat in the enclosure and the more the jokers behind the bench tried to wind him up the more he laughed, and gave stick back.

He clapped our fans at the end and they clapped him back, it was really good to see.

Great story and that sums his personality up and such a shame his managerial career didn't go so well but in the later stages his heart wasn't in the game as his wife's health deteriorated 

On 17/02/2018 at 11:45, Sandhurst Red said:

Anyone else had a similar experience with a former city player, manager or coach?

944F62FB-922E-485F-B113-89769B9CE317.jpeg

A very decent read Sandhurst, thanks for posting along with the photo.

I do have a story of meeting a former City player.. Three in one go in fact but cannot share it as it was in a den of iniquity. ??

P.s. I was very young and impressionable and had a boss back then so was easily lead. ??

On 04/12/2019 at 18:48, megansdad said:

Met John on Armistice Sunday at the very same Costa in Crowthorne - since when we have met several times. We are working on a project that I think, and hope, many on here will enjoy. Will update when i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

So I had hoped that Robins Foundation would be keen to collaborate in producing a limited edition print of the attached painting, which John Gorman has produced. The iconic Scott Murray celebration captured, along with the current day Scott and reflecting his present role. Scott has seen it and loved it but for a variety of reasons the Foundation has declined to be involved. I am keen to see this through and therefore would like to establish what level of interest there would be. Aiming for a limited edition print signed by both Scott and John to sell at around 30 quid with a sizable proportion of profits going to charity, Thoughts anyone? John's previous two were of Mo Saleh and Harry Kane....IMG_5621.thumb.jpg.ce866243d7b4e6dfeab5267504ac8155.jpgIMG_5621.thumb.jpg.ce866243d7b4e6dfeab5267504ac8155.jpg

Mark Cooper used to frequent our local on a Sunday afternoon to watch a bit of footie on the big screen with a beer or two. He has a bit of a reputation for being arrogant locally but to be fair I had a couple of good chats with him about City and especially his dad.

Classic stories about as a young apprentice he would taxi the likes of David Moyes around in his car, also how he got a bit cheeky one day and got put inside the industrial tumble driver at Ashton gate to teach him a lesson.

The best one as I have mentioned on here before was how Terry Cooper then manager and Clive Middlemas drove a transit van to the north east to move Alan Walsh down to Bristol as both player and club had no money.

Archived