IGNORED

Reid

Langford Red

2 minutes ago, Bicester Red said:

At 2.0

LJ should have dropped Reid back into midfield

He said last time he should have tightened the midfield when winning

He said we will learn from! But yet he still did not do that.  

I don’t actually think Reid is that good in midfield. His current position is easily where he’s most effective. 

Tbh I don't think that Reid in midfield strengthens our defense at all, or tightens our play. Perhaps Liam Walsh would be a better option to bring on from the bench to increase our control (and now GON.)

Also, I think Bobby up front is a key trigger to our press which makes us far better defensively, and we miss this when he is in midfield.

1 minute ago, Williams' Penalty said:

Tbh I don't think that Reid in midfield strengthens our defense at all, or tightens our play. Perhaps Liam Walsh would be a better option to bring on from the bench to increase our control (and now GON.)

Also, I think Bobby up front is a key trigger to our press which makes us far better defensively, and we miss this when he is in midfield.

Exactly this. Bobby is ok in midfield but surely Walsh can handle 20-25 minutes in there? I don’t think LJ rests our forwards enough imo. Fam could have come off at 60-65 min for Walsh. Bobby a bit later for Woodrow. Fresh legs for two guys that run a lot. Plus an extra midfielder to help see out a game that we could see was turning. 

31 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don’t actually think Reid is that good in midfield. His current position is easily where he’s most effective. 

Indeed. His City career was going nowhere as a midfielder but he's become an absolutely vital cog further up.

No going back now.

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Indeed. His City career was going nowhere as a midfielder but he's become an absolutely vital cog further up.

No going back now.

I always felt he had ability but couldn’t see a career for him in midfield. Game seemed to pass him by.

This new role is perfect for him and he does it brilliantly. Was very good again yesterday as he has been all season.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I always felt he had ability but couldn’t see a career for him in midfield. Game seemed to pass him by.

This new role is perfect for him and he does it brilliantly. Was very good again yesterday as he has been all season.

Agreed on all counts.

His natural ability was never in doubt, but he's been a revelation and his energy is much more apparent and put to much better use now.

1 hour ago, Bicester Red said:

At 2.0

Maybe I'm stupid but I thought that was exactly what happened - and we lost our high press because of it.

1 hour ago, Bicester Red said:

At 2.0

Change our formation, shape, tactics after 16 minutes when it was clearly working fine???

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Maybe I'm stupid but I thought that was exactly what happened - and we lost our high press because of it.

He definitely dropped deeper,but so did the rest of the team,just been in Plymouth and a janner said that if we went any deeper we’d of been playing in the car park.

12 hours ago, Williams' Penalty said:

Someone posted yesterday (apologies can’t remember who) that as Diedhiou tired, the "press" started to struggle and Pack and Smith got dragged forward to support Reid.  Think that was a good observation as it created gaps between our midfield and defence....that weren’t there in the first half.  Easy in hindsight, but we might have been better to sub Diedhiou and keep chipping balls in behind them, with willing runners and squeeze from there.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Someone posted yesterday (apologies can’t remember who) that as Diedhiou tired, the "press" started to struggle and Pack and Smith got dragged forward to support Reid.  Think that was a good observation as it created gaps between our midfield and defence....that weren’t there in the first half.  Easy in hindsight, but we might have been better to sub Diedhiou and keep chipping balls in behind them, with willing runners and squeeze from there.

I wonder why Diony didn't get the nod on 70mins . 

He must be itching to play and he is good at running at and behind defences. 

It's not just one player plays where in what position or role, it's the whole ethos at the club with regarding coaching, ie defending a lead, not just any old lead but a three goal lead or even a two. Watching how Wigan had the game management to beat the Mighty Man City was a lesson to be learned, it was nigh on perfection, not pretty but it did the job. It really is not acceptable to squander such leads, especially 3-0 at home against the second bottom club, I hope the message has got through.

Archived