IGNORED

Delph Red Card

BCFCadam

Man City v Wigan: This is ridiculous, 50/50 challenge that was probably a booking gets punished as a red, but whats made it worse is the ref walking over with a yellow in his hand, gets surrounded by the Wigan players and changes his mind.

I thought we were trying to reduce dissent to referees? Proving that player input influences decisions will only encourage it, as now players know they could potentially change it.

Shambles.

3 minutes ago, BCFCadam said:

Man City v Wigan: This is ridiculous, 50/50 challenge that was probably a booking gets punished as a red, but whats made it worse is the ref walking over with a yellow in his hand, gets surrounded by the Wigan players and changes his mind.

I thought we were trying to reduce dissent to referees? Proving that player input influences decisions will only encourage it, as now players know they could potentially change it.

Shambles.

I think it was probably the assistant ref that changed his mind rather than some Wigan players. 

1 hour ago, Andy Horsman said:

If Baker's was a red so was that, in my opinion, but the inconsistency does my head in.  And as you say the players overreaction and mob mentality was pure pantomime. JT and Mourinho's Chelsea team have a lot to answer for!!! Agree=Shambles!

I think a certain Knight of the Realm and his captain, Mr Keane, had rather more to do with that.

1 hour ago, Andy Horsman said:

If Baker's was a red so was that, in my opinion, but the inconsistency does my head in.  And as you say the players overreaction and mob mentality was pure pantomime. JT and Mourinho's Chelsea team have a lot to answer for!!! Agree=Shambles!

Remarkably similar to the Baker incident in some ways. In the grey area between yellow and red. Harsh in my view, but at the same time you can understand why he gave it, and an appeal would almost certainly fail.

46 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Remarkably similar to the Baker incident in some ways. In the grey area between yellow and red. Harsh in my view, but at the same time you can understand why he gave it, and an appeal would almost certainly fail.

I suspect if this gets appealed it will be overturned, as the FA will not want to upset Pep.

My initial reaction was that it could well be a red, and after seeing it a few times, don't think a red was unreasonable. Refs are only human and have to make a decision without the benefit of endless replays from all angles, so there always be a degree of inconsistency.

4 hours ago, Andy Horsman said:

Consistent tinkering from FIFA causes confusion or lack of clarity for many refs perhaps?

Watched this and it certainly wasn't something I would have liked to decide if I was the ref, In my playing days as a full back with heavier boots and ball it would have worked out different but with today's light boots and ball it certainly looked a lot more than it actually was. Hard job for the modern ref. If i was the ref ( and i obviously  wasn't ) would have given a yellow.

Really difficult one. On balance I reckon it should have been a yellow but I can see why the ref gave a red. One of those marginal ones that can go either way.

I hate it when players surround the ref - surely this would be something fairly easy for the powers that be to eliminate?

12 hours ago, Andy Horsman said:

I think 20 years of Fergie and his gang of players (ably led by Roy Keane) have a lot more to answer for in that respect.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

I think 20 years of Fergie and his gang of players (ably led by Roy Keane) have a lot more to answer for in that respect.

10 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

I think a certain Knight of the Realm and his captain, Mr Keane, had rather more to do with that.

Apologies Scottish.

I really must learn to read the whole thread before posting, but obviously great minds think alike! :) 

I think it's an attempt at a honest slide tackle - his trailing leg is on the floor and therefore he should have an element of control. However he goes over the top of the ball with his leading leg and makes contact with the defender. It's his trailing leg that makes contact with the ball, which is irrelevant as he's already committed a foul.

Red? Can see why he's given it and can also see why if he'd only given yellow. On a Sunday morning? The ref says 'he won the ball, good tackle, play on!' or maybe just gives a free kick.

3 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

Watched this and it certainly wasn't something I would have liked to decide if I was the ref, In my playing days as a full back with heavier boots and ball it would have worked out different but with today's light boots and ball it certainly looked a lot more than it actually was. Hard job for the modern ref. If i was the ref ( and i obviously  wasn't ) would have given a yellow.

I agree with most of the views that this was a 50/50 yellow or red. So with instances like this then unless the ref / assistants are 100% it should be red then it has to be a yellow. Shouldn't be dishing out red cards on a guess and or pressure from anyone else on the field / touchline / stands.

9 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Consistent tinkering from FIFA causes confusion or lack of clarity for many refs perhaps?

Without a doubt. Rightly or wrongly the old offside/handball/penalty scenarios, for example, were far less 'interpretive'  and as a result there was greater clarity. And the continuous tinkering and revisionism just leads to more confusion and frustration.

12 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Definitely worse than Baker’s imo, leg was far higher with studs up. 

Potentially bias glasses but Delph’s did seem worse to me.

3 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Definitely worse than Baker’s imo, leg was far higher with studs up. 

Potentially bias glasses but Delph’s did seem worse to me.

I agree, Bakers was across the player and a mis-timed trip and warranted a yellow where Delph's was face on with his foot off the floor and more likely a red but thought he got the ball and followed through. I still think a yellow in both cases was sufficient where as the one on Sane by the Cardiff player was a clear red but not given as such but probably the most dangerous if the three tackles

Archived