Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Fiale

City - Crude, Aggressive, basic

Seeing us comment on Cardiff in threads, and of course the posts re our game yesterday where we mostly though we played well and earned a good point, and could have gotten 3 - it is interesting to see what Fulham coach and fans thought. It's like we were all watching 2 different games. 

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/february/21/head-coach-reaction-bristol-city

“We faced a different kind of football game, it was a great battle,” Jokanović stated. “They were really solid, strong, bordering on the limit.

“In my opinion it was sometimes over the border of the limit but that was not the opinion of the referee. I must respect this.

“Sometimes I was a little bit confused about the rules, what is a foul and what is not.

“In some moments it was like a kind of rugby game; so many pushes, so many situations where I was a little bit confused about what the limits were in this battle, and what is over the limit.”

“In the end I cannot complain, all credit to Bristol City, they play a different way to us, and both teams were close to winning three points; us with our weapons, them with their little bit different weapons

Fulham fans opinion - 

"Their weapons being fouling and trying to throw the ball into the net. Snore"

"I think our Head Coach has mastered the use of the English Language beautifully. His comments have made my day - sums up the game perfectly and everyone is in no doubt that he is saying that Bristol City were thugs and the officials were out of their depth"

"Just got back - their football was crude aggressive and basic
But we couldn’t play against it 
They just stopped us playing our fluid game
Hope we don’t meet them in the playoffs"

"Cardiff play the same thuggish way. One of their players said that when teams see our size & the robust tactics we employ they are afraid to play us. That is not football of any kind in my eyes. There is no need to crack an egg shell with a sledge hammer."

• Haha 2

Whilst we’ve got a very ‘agricultural’ style in regard to Magnússon’s throws, the rest of our game is just based on closing down quickly and being in your face. Nothing wrong or rule-bending in that. 

What I saw last night was about 7 occasions where one of their players (mainly Mitrovic or Piazon) fell over under zero contact. 

Ultimately, getting in their faces worked very well, as a team reknowned as the best passing team in the division got rattled and couldn’t find their rhythm. Last 10-15 mins in particular they were very panicky on the ball. Well done us. 

Interesting that Fulham fans displayed a flag saying “Slavisa”. It’s the equivalent of us displaying a flag that says “Lee”. Terrible stuff from Fulham. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Super said:

I don't mind hearing that tbh. Too many times over the years we have been a soft touch. 

Agree, it's nice to see the team has a little more "aggression" to their game, not sure we are Rugby like though - unless of course we mixed up our training with Bristol Rugby, maybe their opponents will comment on the amount of kicking and trying to put the ball between the posts when they next play.

• Haha 1

I've similar comments on here about the way other teams play.

All football  fans are just as one- eyed as we are.

• Like 3

Weird how none of them mentioned the quick interchange passing style and that we were more attack-minded than Fulham.

Madness.

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

Interesting that Fulham fans displayed a flag saying “Slavisa”. It’s the equivalent of us displaying a flag that says “Lee”. Terrible stuff from Fulham. 

Yes - with "Making Fulham Great Again" underneath. Weird. 

15 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Agree, it's nice to see the team has a little more "aggression" to their game, not sure we are Rugby like though - unless of course we mixed up our training with Bristol Rugby, maybe their opponents will comment on the amount of kicking and trying to put the ball between the posts when they next play.

Frankie only played to touch once as I recall .

As I mentioned in another thread, the Fulham fans on the train were the same. It's odd because if it was Wolves or Cardiff saying it, you know they'd be doing it for the rise, but Fulham fans aren't the malicious type, instead this season genuinely believe they're far better than everyone and somehow the 'good' to everyone else's 'evil'.

Yes they are a very pretty team but they're also utterly soft - not physically weak, but that spineless deliberately ready-to-tumble scream and shout softness that some teams cultivate to gain an advantage, and Fulham fans are deluded if they've not spotted it's their own tactic - their keeper was embarrassing with his fake-victimhood. 

And our glass-house living London friends should never forget that Kamara spent about an hour a few months ago launching himself into City players whether Joe Bryan on the touchline or several of our defenders in the box, and a year earlier they tried to break O'Dowda's legs. So zero ****s were given about their view of aggression.  

• Like 15

41 minutes ago, Super said:

I don't mind hearing that tbh. Too many times over the years we have been a soft touch. 

Absolutely this! 

Fulham have picked up 6 easy points here in their last 2 visits, and appear surprised that we didn't continue this generosity last night. So now cast around for excuses as they face their own doubts/questions ("maybe we're not so good?")

Well done Lee and the boys!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

What’s weird about a banner supporting their manager?! Liverpool have got loads about their ex managers, a fine nod to their heritage...

46 minutes ago, mozo said:

Weird how none of them mentioned the quick interchange passing style and that we were more attack-minded than Fulham.

Madness.

yes I FELT IT WAS A GOOD ALROUND GAME TO WATCH AND WE EHRE THE BETTER ATTACKING SIDE BY A CLEAR MILE . London NUMPTYS

44 minutes ago, Harry said:

No different form ours, they just couldn’t fit ‘out midget’ underneath. 

• Like 1

Interesting...! Can anyone spot a correlation here....?

Man City, the purest of pure footballing sides in the country BEAT us and are full of praise for how we play the game. 

Fulham, one of the purest in our division, no doubt, LOSE to us and moan..! 

26 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What’s weird about a banner supporting their manager?! Liverpool have got loads about their ex managers, a fine nod to their heritage...

...a point not lost on the man Utd fans at Anfield a few seasons back who displayed a banner reading "Sir Matt Busby, Sir Alex Ferguson, Bill Shankley, Bob Paisley - spot the difference..."

Total rubbish that. What are we supposed to do, lie down and let them roll over us?

Think if we're being picky, the rolling around of 3 or 4 of their players at very convenient times (when they were under sustained pressure) is a whole lot more crude.

• Like 7

Did anyone watch the Fulham feed? Calling Baker "Barker" (how do you get that wrong?). Everything was "surely that's a Fulham corner/throw in" and then the highlights showing its clearly not. 

Its always interesting listening to opposition commentary. I remember we played WBA in a friendly and their commentators didn't even mention us or our players for 90 mins.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Ah I didn’t see that bit from the other end. Thought it was just the name. 

Got us wondering what the best flag would be for any ex-City manager. 

“Steve”

”Sean”

“Derek”

”Keith”

etc

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

“Steve”

”Sean”

“Derek”

”Keith”

etc

Add 

Lee

Gary 

Danny

Brian

Our managers this Millennium have to just been the lads down the pub. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

“Steve”

”Sean”

“Derek”

”Keith”

etc

Got to be "Alan" though.

10 minutes ago, Gibbs said:

Did anyone watch the Fulham feed? Calling Baker "Barker" (how do you get that wrong?). Everything was "surely that's a Fulham corner/throw in" and then the highlights showing its clearly not. 

Its always interesting listening to opposition commentary. I remember we played WBA in a friendly and their commentators didn't even mention us or our players for 90 mins.

Right pair of melts. Their lad kicked the ball against his own man and he was adamant it was a Fulham goal kick. Claimed that Hörður dived after he got taken out in the first half, nearly bundled Mags over! 

I like to think our commentary team are pretty fair and complimentary of the opposition whenever I have listened. They came across quite arrogant last night and they hardly seemed bothered about being 1-0 up as if they should be!

Soooo, we were supposed to play in a style that suits them then? I didn't see us breaking too many laws whereas every corner we had was more like the WWF than football (winds me right up).

Yes, we were a tad more physical than we have been at times, good!! They didn't like it, good!! They don't want to face us again, good!!!

They don't like it? That means it was effective then as they couldn't play their 'sexy' football. We played plenty ourselves. 

As for their fans, I appreciate they had free travel but, for nigh on 2,000 fans, weren't they ever quiet?? A couple of 'FFC' chants and that was it! 

Edited by Ska Junkie

Think our performance was committed, our pressing was tigerish. When we had the ball we played some nice one touch stuff. 

I think we used Magnússon’s long throws to goidceffect. And if that gave us opportunity to get up the pitch so be it. You could see at times that they didn’t want to give away a throw in. Good. Get that into Cardiff’s heads for Sunday. 

Fulham had about 5 minutes in each half where they played incisive football. At other times they just played in front of us. Pretty but went nowhere. I was still nervous but that doesn’t mean they were effective in that. 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We should only display banners when prematurely hounding out managers whilst also reminding them of their lack of height. You're not from round yer are you my babber. 

So wrestling Flint around the neck at corners doesn’t figure in Fulham’s assessment of the game and tactics applied

Think it’s more a case they got bullied by us across the pitch and realised they couldn’t play pretty football. No plan B and LJ knew exactly the tactics to upset them and it worked 

3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

So wrestling Flint around the neck at corners doesn’t figure in Fulham’s assessment of the game and tactics applied

Think it’s more a case they got bullied by us across the pitch and realised they couldn’t play pretty football. No plan B and LJ knew exactly the tactics to upset them and it worked 

I know every team, including ourselves, do it but it drives me potty. Why isn't it a penalty? :grr:

12 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Spot on.

I thought we did a sound job on them.

They have a soft underbelly and we got in to them. The coach's did a fine job in getting us to change our normal style of play for this game.

We were more bullish...got in their face and played often more direct looking for the second ball.

We were 541 for long periods...Bobby playing much deeper.

Magners throws were causing mayhem as was Flint in chasing them.

Maybe one day we'll use Magners throw differently...every team is expecting in to the box, perhaps someone should drop off one day and receive it short and cross it in flatter.

I thought yesterday proved, that if we have to change the way we do for certain games, that we can and effectively. Well done LJ and the boys.

Anyone else think their keeper was a drama queen?

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Madness.

2 hours ago, Fiale said:

6 minutes highlights for those who missed the game

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/highlights-bristol-city-1-1-fulham/

Yep total long ball crude tactics there, no "tici - taci" football at all! :whistle:

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

I thought we did a sound job on them.

They have a soft underbelly and we got in to them. The coach's did a fine job in getting us to change our normal style of play for this game.

We were more bullish...got in their face and played often more direct looking for the second ball.

We were 541 for long periods...Bobby playing much deeper.

Magners throws were causing mayhem as was Flint in chasing them.

Maybe one day we'll use Magners throw differently...every team is expecting in to the box, perhaps someone should drop off one day and receive it short and cross it in flatter.

I thought yesterday proved, that if we have to change the way we do for certain games, that we can and effectively. Well done LJ and the boys.

Anyone else think their keeper was a drama queen?

It was the tu tu that gave it away.