IGNORED

Tired of the Wurzels

where's the joy

3 hours ago, where's the joy said:

as great songs go i feel 'drink up thee Zyder' needs a re-mix, or to be replaced. sacrilege i hear you cry?

its time to move on, new stadium, all this new good football and stuff like the old red red robin is still being belted out

take for example Spurs fans slowing down the start of 'when the spurs go marching in' which when sung lustily makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand out.

our old Wurzel classic has always been too quickly sung, too easy to drop off from, never repeated over and over, always running out of steam too soon, a bit like our performance at leeds!

as a tune to belt out then even 'good night Irene' by the Gas is like Stoke fans singing Delilah, loud and hearty.

so here's an idea or two; either get the Wurzels to bring Zyder up to date or pick an anthem from another sport.

for instance even the French national anthem for our two star french strikers with the right english lyrics could work.

how cool is 'will griggs on fire' for example? 

come on city fans 'lets be having you' and a new or improved anthem.

As Samuel Johnson once said 

" The man who is tired of the Wurzels is tired of life "

3 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Only thing I'd like is if we could slow the **** down when singing Drink up Thee Zider. There was a period where we sung it dead slow and it was brilliant.

Much too fast, all the words sound jumbled and rushed!

One for Megaphone Man to sort out maybe?

I think Drink Up Thy Zider is a great song. It's unique, it's West Country and its ours. It's sad that's it's hardly sung any more. I think one reason for this might be confusion over the lyrics. Although there may be some who relish the prospect of going down the Rovers and doing them over, thats not a lyric I would ever sing, nor the vast majority of City fans I suspect.  If everyone could agree on the original, I'd certainly join in.

Drink up thy zider, drink up thy zider,
For tonight we'll merry be,
We'll knock the milkchurns over, and roll 'em in the clover,
The corn's half cut, and so be we!

2 minutes ago, Dave L said:

I think Drink Up Thy Zider is a great song. It's unique, it's West Country and its ours. It's sad that's it's hardly sung any more. I think one reason for this might be confusion over the lyrics. Although there may be some who relish the prospect of going down the Rovers and doing them over, thats not a lyric I would ever sing, nor the vast majority of City fans I suspect.  If everyone could agree on the original, I'd certainly join in.

So close Dave. Knock the milkmaids over ennit?

5 hours ago, where's the joy said:

as great songs go i feel 'drink up thee Zyder' needs a re-mix, or to be replaced. sacrilege i hear you cry?

its time to move on, new stadium, all this new good football and stuff like the old red red robin is still being belted out

take for example Spurs fans slowing down the start of 'when the spurs go marching in' which when sung lustily makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand out.

our old Wurzel classic has always been too quickly sung, too easy to drop off from, never repeated over and over, always running out of steam too soon, a bit like our performance at leeds!

as a tune to belt out then even 'good night Irene' by the Gas is like Stoke fans singing Delilah, loud and hearty.

so here's an idea or two; either get the Wurzels to bring Zyder up to date or pick an anthem from another sport.

for instance even the French national anthem for our two star french strikers with the right english lyrics could work.

Wash your mouth out , Drink up thee zyder is OUR song

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I had a Wurzels compilation CD years ago and I’m sure they did a ‘disco’ version of Drink up thee Zider.

It was shit.

Leave the song alone but slow down when singing it. Maybe come up with some City related verses to sing before belting out the chorus. Yes it’s a bit ‘bumpkiny’ (probably not a word) but it’s relevant to Bristol and the Westcountry. I like the fact our anthem is about drinking Cider and having a good time.

Much better than some dreary, suicidal shit about fancying a young girl. 

In my opinion.

It was released in 2001

4 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

I love the Blackbird, as @Robbored says (talking a lot of sense recently, something isn't right), it gives a real sense of togetherness after a draw or defeat.

Christ I loathe that one. At least Drink Up is a celebratory song, anticipating the many pints to be sunk after a City victory. Blackbird is an inane ditty about a bloke trying (and failing) to murder some wildlife. Crap!

I'd rather we left the ground to silence after a defeat TBH than have that incongruously jaunty music playing, suggesting that we don't care that much about losing. 

1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I can’t begin to imagine where you got that idea from, it’s been milk churns ever since I was listening to Adge.....

**** knows frankly, was told that was what it was from the moment I first heard it.

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'd rather we left the ground to silence after a defeat TBH than have that incongruously jaunty music playing, suggesting that we don't care that much about losing. 

Atleast it’s not ‘always look on the bright side of life’ as was played upon relegation. What a gaffe that was. Misjudged the mood totally.

I really dislike ‘one for the Bristol City’ wish we’d play something else, cheesy and I’ve never heard our fans sing it.

I also agree it would be good to have a slow anthemic song in our repertoire. Even Rovers have one which I begrudgingly admit sounds impressive at full voice.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Atleast it’s not ‘always look on the bright side of life’ as was played upon relegation. What a gaffe that was. Misjudged the mood totally.

I really dislike ‘one for the Bristol City’ wish we’d play something else, cheesy and I’ve never heard our fans sing it.

I also agree it would be good to have a slow anthemic song in our repertoire. Even Rovers have one which I begrudgingly admit sounds impressive at full voice.

When has it ever been sung like that then? Certainly not when I`ve seen us play them!

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

When has it ever been sung like that then? Certainly not when I`ve seen us play them!

That awful 0-0 draw about 10 years ago at AG is one that stands out. They were thrilled with the result (understandably) and I must admit thinking it did sound quite loud and impressive when they deliriously sung it to celebrate a famous 0-0 draw.

8 hours ago, where's the joy said:

The fact that we have a new stadium and everything is changing makes it even more important to hold on to our identity. That's what many fans will relate to so it still feels like their club. 

3 hours ago, Dave L said:

Quite agree. Not least for the fact we are South of the river, which means we would have to go UP the Rovers.

Geographically, the song is bobbins.

Archived