IGNORED

Cardiff - would you take a draw now?

mozo

2 hours ago, Super said:

I dont get this we are a better team? 

I agree, I said on another thread that Cardiff are a better team and have a better manager because they are lots of points ahead of us...and got various ‘disagreeable’ replies! They’ve beaten Wolves away this season, something only one other team has done and they are second in the table. But we are better than them even though we are sixth and ten points behind them...

37 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Ok I see what your saying but literally tomorrow what players would make us 100%...pack definately...Pisano maybe..o’dowda Doubtful up against brown hill..we will be 80% full strength arguably 

The '100% strength' thing isn't really that crucial to the point, it's just to make it a totally fair theoretical test. 

47 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Be glad when this game is over so all the inane talk about Warnock will disappear.

Nah, I’ll leave it a couple of days for the fallout from the game to die down and then I’ll drop a “Why can’t people realise Warnock’s media persona is well rehearsed and expertly perfected?” thread before retreating behind my wall of sand-bags and wait for the usual suspects to furiously thrash out their bile and vitriol on their well-worn keyboards! And so we go around again....!

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nah, I’ll leave it a couple of days for the fallout from the game to die down and then I’ll drop a “Why can’t people realise Warnock’s media persona is well rehearsed and expertly perfected?” thread before retreating behind my wall of sand-bags and wait for the usual suspects to furiously thrash out their bile and vitriol on their well-worn keyboards! And so we go around again....!

Haha, well on my count there are 5 Warnock related dedicated threads that have been posted on today and only 2 on how to beat Cardiff, their players or tactics (and even so, one of those was posted by a Cardiff fan and the other by @bristolcitysweden :drunk2:)

That's before counting the other few threads that have ended up discussing Warnock.. the old boy knows what to do to divert attention! It's not as if he's going to be losing sleep over the fact that BCFCCiderArmy2001 from Otib thinks that "Colin is a crap, cheating, long ball manager who looks like Mrs Doubtfire"

We are in average form, they are in very good form.

We are 6th on 54 points, they are 2nd on 64 points.

They are at home.

I understand the temptation to say you wouldn’t take a point, because it’s Cardiff, because their style doesn’t set the world alight, because there’s nothing we’d love more than beating Warnock on his own patch.

But you have to say a point tomorrow would be a point gained - even more so after today’s results. So yes, I would take a point. But I’d bloody love all three.

I suppose what I'd take depends on what we're aiming for and what we can consider realistic.
If we're aiming for Promotion then we need a win, the Fulham game is a massive win for them, adds so much extra pressure and whilst people talk about "we're still in the top 6 and have got a lot of hard fixtures out of the way" that means nothing if we can't win those hard games because should we make the play offs then any game in the play offs will be one of those hard fixtures only with a lot more on the line.

If we're happy to get top half of the table then a draw is acceptable if our plan is to get a draw and then step up a gear then that's acceptable but the bottom line is in our last 12 games in all comps we've won just 1! To put that in perspective in August we only lost 1, in September we didn't lose a single game, in October, November & December we only lost 1 game in each month, in January we lost 5 of our 7 games and won only 1, in February if we don't beat Cardiff tomorrow we'll have not won a single game this month....

I know a lot of people are happy looking at the table but I'm telling you now, if we continue to play how we have in 2018 so far then we'll not be near the play off's come May, especially when you consider we've got a few games with teams who are literally fighting to stay in this league and have no option but to go for wins, not draws.

If it were just phrased as would you take a draw away against 2nd then perhaps, but for it to be Cardiff then no I wouldn't, can never pass on the opportunity to beat them even if it risks loss (unless we needed a point for securing play offs, promotion, survival) then add the fact its Warnock...

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We are in average form, they are in very good form.

We are 6th on 54 points, they are 2nd on 64 points.

They are at home.

I understand the temptation to say you wouldn’t take a point, because it’s Cardiff, because their style doesn’t set the world alight, because there’s nothing we’d love more than beating Warnock on his own patch.

But you have to say a point tomorrow would be a point gained - even more so after today’s results. So yes, I would take a point. But I’d bloody love all three.

I wouldn't take a point if someone was offering it now because I'd back us to have a chance at winning.

But I wouldn't be upset if we drew.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

I suppose what I'd take depends on what we're aiming for and what we can consider realistic.
If we're aiming for Promotion then we need a win, the Fulham game is a massive win for them, adds so much extra pressure and whilst people talk about "we're still in the top 6 and have got a lot of hard fixtures out of the way" that means nothing if we can't win those hard games because should we make the play offs then any game in the play offs will be one of those hard fixtures only with a lot more on the line.

If we're happy to get top half of the table then a draw is acceptable if our plan is to get a draw and then step up a gear then that's acceptable but the bottom line is in our last 12 games in all comps we've won just 1! To put that in perspective in August we only lost 1, in September we didn't lose a single game, in October, November & December we only lost 1 game in each month, in January we lost 5 of our 7 games and won only 1, in February if we don't beat Cardiff tomorrow we'll have not won a single game this month....

I know a lot of people are happy looking at the table but I'm telling you now, if we continue to play how we have in 2018 so far then we'll not be near the play off's come May, especially when you consider we've got a few games with teams who are literally fighting to stay in this league and have no option but to go for wins, not draws.

“If we’re aiming for promotion then we need a win”.

I don’t agree with that statement. A draw tomorrow would keep us three points clear in the top six. We are not going to win every game between now and the end of the season. It’s entirely feasible that we could draw this game and still be promoted. Pragmatically the only sensible conclusion is that a draw away at a side in form and 2nd the table would be a good result, and would keep us very much in the promotion mix.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I wouldn't take a point if someone was offering it now because I'd back us to have a chance at winning.

But I wouldn't be upset if we drew.

Completely understand and respect that - don’t get me wrong, this is a fixture I’d love to see us win more than any this season. And I do think we have a chance of the win. But I’m just too boring and sensible to turn down a point away against an in form and high flying team.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Completely understand and respect that - don’t get me wrong, this is a fixture I’d love to see us win more than any this season. And I do think we have a chance of the win. But I’m just too boring and sensible to turn down a point away against an in form and high flying team.

I think I've found where we differ.

I'm boring, but not at all sensible.

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

So my theory is they are much more disciplined than us and also are on a par in attacking threat...if we get a draw tomorrow I would be delighted as they are better than us

Your theory is floored tho so I get your play it down expectations so if we lose it was expected because they are better than us but come on mate you are talking nonsense if it isn’t because Colin is their manager that they are up there,if you gave that squad to any other manager at this level they are mid table stuff but Colin gets the basics right 

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Your theory is floored tho so I get your play it down expectations so if we lose it was expected because they are better than us but come on mate you are talking nonsense if it isn’t because Colin is their manager that they are up there,if you gave that squad to any other manager at this level they are mid table stuff but Colin gets the basics right 

I don’t get your logic mate...playing simple facts they are 9 points ahead of us with a better goal difference and better goals scored and goals against record...we play lovely football I grant you that but here is the point...as much as any person on this forum might say they would rather be us than have to watch a warnock team I call that bullshit.

it we were second rather than 6th being a physical but efficient side heading for the premier league i 100% guarantee those that say they would rather hand their season tickets in than be that successful by a warnock team are talking utter bull.

14 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

I don’t get your logic mate...playing simple facts they are 9 points ahead of us with a better goal difference and better goals scored and goals against record...we play lovely football I grant you that but here is the point...as much as any person on this forum might say they would rather be us than have to watch a warnock team I call that bullshit.

it we were second rather than 6th being a physical but efficient side heading for the premier league i 100% guarantee those that say they would rather hand their season tickets in than be that successful by a warnock team are talking utter bull.

So you are agreeing with me then

42 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

We play lovely football I grant you that but here is the point...as much as any person on this forum might say they would rather be us than have to watch a warnock team I call that bullshit.

Couldn't disagree more, I am one of those people that would prefer being 6th under Johnson's football than 2nd with Warnock. And I can tell you it is most definitely not "bull."

One of the examples I can think of is Liverpool, a few weeks ago when Liverpool were sitting around the 4th/5th position I was discussing the difference between LFC and Man U's style of football.

I was with both a Liverpool and Man U fan at the time and the Man U fan said he would rather switch places with Liverpool fan and be able to watch the fantastic football Liverpool produce than be in 2nd with the football Man U deliver. (Granted now Liverpool are now in second but the principle at the time still illustrates the underlying argument.)

I think the same position is taken by lots of City fans, and I really don't think it's bull.

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

Little bit worried that not one person seems to think Cardiff will beat us, which means OTIB will melt down if this does happen.

I'd take a draw, because I'm worried Cardiff will beat us.  A win for City would be a fantastic result.

I do if I`m being brutally honest. I think we`ll be outmuscled and we have a record of ******* things up when virtually every other result goes our way on a weekend.

Archived