IGNORED

The Cardiff City FC v Bristol City FC Match Day Thread 34

Septic Peg

Good morning folks!

Myself on thread duty today as @havanatopia is channelling his inner Sir Ralph Fiennes and hiking up somewhere in Shropshire. He assures me, upon his return, he will be drinking a hot toddy. He'll need it as it is positively baltic out there...

It's a quick trip this morning over the Severn Bridge for the nearest thing we have to a derby these days. 

Every single season, there's something else to hate about Cardiff. There's Tan and his buying the league, Warnock the City hater, eternal good boy Tomlin joining their ranks... the list goes on...

But the thing that has always puzzled me is the Ayatollah. What is that all about? Let's find out eh?

Here's what Wikipedia says:

The Ayatollah celebration came into use at the Cardiff City games in 1990. It was originally performed by the singers and fans of a Welsh-language punk group called U Thant. It was first performed by the Cardiff City fans at the Sincil Bank, home of Lincoln City F.C., on September 15, 1990, the day after U Thant had played a gig at the Cardiff's Chapter Arts Centre.[4] U Thant's singer had been inspired by footage of attendants at the funeral of Ayatollah Khomeini, which was broadcast live on British TV, doing the movement to express their grief at his death.[5][6][7]

It has been claimed that it was initially used as a sign of despair at the way the team were playing. It quickly became very popular with the fans of the club, and has since been used in terms of celebration and support for the team. Away games at Hereford United and Peterborough United in 1992 helped cement its place in the fans' repertoire.[8]

The start of the Ayatollah has often mistakenly been credited to former chairman Sam Hammam.[9] This is likely due to the national coverage of Hammam performing the celebration pitchside and in front of the visiting Leeds fans, drawing criticism from then-Leeds manager David O'Leary, the Football Association, and a BBC undercover report, following the now infamous 2–1 victory over Leeds United in the third round of the FA Cup in 2002, which saw crowd trouble after final whistle.

So in summary, a couple of punk rockers saw someone's funeral on the TV and copied the mourners grieving...

Classy eh? 

As referenced above also, it is used by not just the fans but everyone associated with Cardiff City. In the aforementioned anecdote in the pre-Tan days, Sam Hammam used it and wandered around the perimeter of Ninian Park - in front of the Leeds contingent - performing it, much to the disgust of David O'Leary.

So anyway, moving on... 

Tomlin is currently playing out of his skin for Nottingham (he's on loan and wants a new perm obviously... plus Nottingham is so much closer to Leicester so his Mrs doesn't need to employ a Nanny now :thumbsup:) so he won't be there...

However, Sean Morrison, Cardiff's captain is likely to be missing...

And BBC Sport have reported that Pisano and Djuric are both now in full training...

Could we see our Italian Stallion and Big Bosnian knocking lumps out of Warnock's side?

Fingers crossed eh?

Boring 0-0 with all the drama coming from Warnock's mouth...

Come on you reds...

15 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Good morning folks!

Myself on thread duty today as @havanatopia is channelling his inner Sir Ralph Fiennes and hiking up somewhere in Shropshire. He assures me, upon his return, he will be drinking a hot toddy. He'll need it as it is positively baltic out there...

It's a quick trip this morning over the Severn Bridge for the nearest thing we have to a derby these days. 

Every single season, there's something else to hate about Cardiff. There's Tan and his buying the league, Warnock the City hater, eternal good boy Tomlin joining their ranks... the list goes on...

But the thing that has always puzzled me is the Ayatollah. What is that all about? Let's find out eh?

Here's what Wikipedia says:

The Ayatollah celebration came into use at the Cardiff City games in 1990. It was originally performed by the singers and fans of a Welsh-language punk group called U Thant. It was first performed by the Cardiff City fans at the Sincil Bank, home of Lincoln City F.C., on September 15, 1990, the day after U Thant had played a gig at the Cardiff's Chapter Arts Centre.[4] U Thant's singer had been inspired by footage of attendants at the funeral of Ayatollah Khomeini, which was broadcast live on British TV, doing the movement to express their grief at his death.[5][6][7]

It has been claimed that it was initially used as a sign of despair at the way the team were playing. It quickly became very popular with the fans of the club, and has since been used in terms of celebration and support for the team. Away games at Hereford United and Peterborough United in 1992 helped cement its place in the fans' repertoire.[8]

The start of the Ayatollah has often mistakenly been credited to former chairman Sam Hammam.[9] This is likely due to the national coverage of Hammam performing the celebration pitchside and in front of the visiting Leeds fans, drawing criticism from then-Leeds manager David O'Leary, the Football Association, and a BBC undercover report, following the now infamous 2–1 victory over Leeds United in the third round of the FA Cup in 2002, which saw crowd trouble after final whistle.

So in summary, a couple of punk rockers saw someone's funeral on the TV and copied the mourners grieving...

Classy eh? 

As referenced above also, it is used by not just the fans but everyone associated with Cardiff City. In the aforementioned anecdote in the pre-Tan days, Sam Hammam used it and wandered around the perimeter of Ninian Park - in front of the Leeds contingent - performing it, much to the disgust of David O'Leary.

So anyway, moving on... 

Tomlin is currently playing out of his skin for Nottingham (he's on loan and wants a new perm obviously... plus Nottingham is so much closer to Leicester so his Mrs doesn't need to employ a Nanny now :thumbsup:) so he won't be there...

However, Sean Morrison, Cardiff's captain is likely to be missing...

And BBC Sport have reported that Pisano and Djuric are both now in full training...

Could we see our Italian Stallion and Big Bosnian knocking lumps out of Warnock's side?

Fingers crossed eh?

Boring 0-0 with all the drama coming from Warnock's mouth...

Come on you reds...

We just simply need to outplay them .

The pressure is on the home side . 

I have a good feeling about today.

I'm going for a 1-4 City win and a grumpy Colin .

COYR

Good afternoon everyone,  it is here, in a very snowy Tallinn,  I see the weather forecast says you will have this weather soon .   I just hope we score first as if Cardiff go one up, they will close down the game and try and hit us on the break,  also use their delaying tactics.  We all know how hard it is for us when teams park the bus.  Anyway all who are going,  take care and shout them on for these important three points.  IMO I think another draw will be good,  but a good win will give them more confidence.  So COYR's.

Archived