IGNORED

Weather (Merged)

BcfcDuncs

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`m the other side of the moor from you, Okehampton way and we`ve got a foot in our back garden already and it`s still blowing a blizzard. Whereabouts are you? 

Exmouth, yeah very blizzard like here still. Just praying that it'll be done by Friday so Friday/Saturday the roads can start to clear

3 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Exmouth, yeah very blizzard like here still. Just praying that it'll be done by Friday so Friday/Saturday the roads can start to clear

You know it`s a bad one when the coast gets hit. We expect it up here on the moor to an extent but you think you`ll be safe on the beach!

17 minutes ago, spudski said:

We get snow every year...and every year we grind to a halt. It's a yearly but not daily...however we still react like we've never seen it before.

It's the 24hr media needing to manufacture stories and sensationalize and exaggerate every little bit of news due to having so much space to fill.

Then there's the Met.Office (which seems to be staffed predominantly by excitable youngsters) who are determined to catastrophize what are normal and natural weather occurrences with ridiculous names, 'Beast from the East etc.'

The hyperbole on our radios, TV's and the internet is increasingly childish and pathetic, and it's a daily constant reminder of the irritating dumbed downed society we now live in.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's the 24hr media needing to manufacture stories and sensationalize and exaggerate every little bit of news due to having so much space to fill.

Then there's the Met.Office (which seems to be staffed predominantly by excitable youngsters) who are determined to catastrophize what are normal and natural weather occurrences with ridiculous names, 'Beast from the East etc.'

The hyperbole on our radios, TV's and the internet is increasingly childish and pathetic, and it's a daily constant reminder of the irritating dumbed downed society we now live in.

It's typical of the incredible overuse of superlatives and diminutives in our language. John Atyeo scored many goals for City but most were good at best. Now anyone score from five yards and it's described as a fantastic strike.

Likewise with weather. It snowed every winter and with no central heating, bath time in the kitchen proved to be a good biology lesson!

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Quite right Noggers, the sensationalism in the press and by the weather forecasters is absolutely crazy. It's pretty embarrassing. Appreciate that it may be bad for those out in the countryside but apart from that we should just crack on.  

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Every year?! My son is 7 and this is only the second time he’s seen proper snow like this. It’s rare, and that’s why it’s understandable that we aren’t well equipped to deal with it.

Google it...you'll be surprised how much snow we get annually. Birmingham especially.

2 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

It's true but probably because we rarely see it.

Vehicles rarely have winter tyres, nobody has snow chains and studded tyres are illegal.  It is not a surprise we grind to a halt especially when a bit of snow drops onto roads which are virtually gridlocked most of the time anyway.

Here studded tyres have to be fitted by law from the 1st Nov until the 1st of April, after that unless the weather is still bad they are illegal because they will damage the road. Buses and lorries do not fit them though and they managed to run as the roads are well gritted everywhere.

43 minutes ago, lenred said:

Quite right Noggers, the sensationalism in the press and by the weather forecasters is absolutely crazy. It's pretty embarrassing. Appreciate that it may be bad for those out in the countryside but apart from that we should just crack on.  

Yes, crack on.  You try and drive without studded winter tyres in freezing rain,  I think you will be in a collision before you get to the end of your road.  Even with studded tyres, you can still skid if not careful. This is why the Met Office has advised that you don't drive anywhere between 20.00 and 08.00 in the West.

6 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I remember City playing Wednesday at Ashton Gate in the 80's/early 90's, when it snowed..and snowed..and snowed.

The tannoy crackled into life at Half Time.. for two reasons. Firstly to inform everyone that the game was abandoned. No one was overly shocked. The next announcement... "message for the Sheffield Wednesday fans....there is no way back to Sheffield". 

Wednesdays players and club officials then appeared on the pitch and made their way toward the Open End where their fans were stood shivering. To this day I've no idea of the outcome of that chat. 

I was at that game. A large amount of Sheffield coaches were stopped from setting off.  Blizzard most of game. When message came over the tannoy City sang "you're not going home!"  I laughed to til i remembered i had come by train! :sad26:On the Monday the picture in the Post (which i still have hiding somewhere) was a zoom shot of of a cold looking goalkeeper through a barrage of snowflakes. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

So if this game is off because of roads, won't every single game be off in the country? 

Pre match for Arsenal vs Many City implied Arsenal have made sure the local roads/pavements were clear to do everything they could to keep it on. 

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

Pre match for Arsenal vs Many City implied Arsenal have made sure the local roads/pavements were clear to do everything they could to keep it on. 

Following Sunday, I heard they were doing everything they could to get the game called off! :thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, taxidog said:

As has been pointed out in previous posts the British media has gone mad in sensationalising things - they've just started a program on Channel 5 called 'LIVE : The Big Freeze' which goes on for TWO FRIGGIN HOURS !!!!!!!!!'

And that’s why the game will be off, along with a host  of other games

someone might fall over, get cold, have to wait for a bus, 

its probably safer than the rain in summer but there’s no one to blame / Sue with slippery rain

people panic buying bread for crying out loud 

28 minutes ago, taxidog said:

As has been pointed out in previous posts the British media has gone mad in sensationalising things - they've just started a program on Channel 5 called 'LIVE : The Big Freeze' which goes on for TWO FRIGGIN HOURS !!!!!!!!!'

Well, why don't you turn over to Channel Thaw?

1 hour ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Yes, crack on.  You try and drive without studded winter tyres in freezing rain,  I think you will be in a collision before you get to the end of your road.  Even with studded tyres, you can still skid if not careful. This is why the Met Office has advised that you don't drive anywhere between 20.00 and 08.00 in the West.

I drove around fine this evening, thanks for the advice. My point was more around the sensationalism surrounding the weather.  Appreciate it can be really difficult for lots of people however and be dangerous also. Just don't need the constant media outcry. Freezing rain hasn't hit yet and may not yet.  

• Admin
2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

T’was ever thus 

Archived