IGNORED

Weather (Merged)

BcfcDuncs

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

thaw starts tomorrow morning 5 degrees sat afternoon, no more snow sat, reckon  they may allow it to go ahead.

5 degrees will take ages to clear inches of snow.  Elbow grease is the only way of getting the game on.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No idea what it's like in Chippenham, it's a few inches of snow in BS3, but no more than I've seen numerous times before, and I've seen it much worse. It is obviously more severe in some other areas of the country but mostly where they are more used to it, especially up North and Scotland which is widely featured on the news.

Imo, it's because London is unusually affected that it's become such big news.

It may not be an annual event here but it's hardly apocalyptic and will probably all be gone in a few days.

If your daughter hasn't seen proper snow before she'll no doubt be very excited as she looks out this morning, so if it's a rare event hopefully she'll be able to get out in the garden with her Dad and enjoy it. She won't forget her first snowman!

As for official advice and forecasts, of course they should be taken on board, but they usually cover wide areas, and include the worst possible scenario, so most people will note it but look out the window to see what the reality is where they live, and make up their own mind.

People shouldn't drive if they can avoid it, but that's obvious really and we shouldn't need official advice to realise that.

Never, ever, ever underestimate the sheer stupidity of people.

8 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

5 degrees will take ages to clear inches of snow.  Elbow grease is the only way of getting the game on.

just thinking the main roads will hopefully be cleared sat morning, and looking ahead with it being an improving outlook they will take that into consideration.

1 minute ago, pillred said:

just thinking the main roads will hopefully be cleared sat morning, and looking ahead with it being an improving outlook they will take that into consideration.

Main roads will be fine.  All those minor hilly streets are the problem.

9 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Never, ever, ever underestimate the sheer stupidity of people.

Some people have no choice. All workplaces should be closed when amber/red warnings are in affect without deduction in pay. It's not often this happens, did my local co-op need to open at 6am?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Another thing to consider- Bristol very hilly so...more so than other places so.

I predict it won't be on, owing to areas around the ground, roads coming in etc- plus matchday staff unable to get in.

Yes, other parts of the country will be less affected.  As Little Britain says "Britain is home to some of the flattest hills in the world".

1 minute ago, Gifford said:

Some people have no choice. All workplaces should be closed when amber/red warnings are in affect without deduction in pay. It's not often this happens, did my local co-op need to open at 6am?

In some cases - the sheer stupidity of employers.

15 minutes ago, pillred said:

thaw starts tomorrow morning 5 degrees sat afternoon, no more snow sat, reckon  they may allow it to go ahead.

I like your optimism @pillred but the forecasts I've seen are showing 3 degrees but with wind chill feels like -1 tomorrow at 3 pm. I think whilst the pitch may be okay surrounding areas will make it difficult to put the game on. Quite rightly the club will be concerned about fan safety and that will be an issue tomorrow particularly if we have more snow.

4 minutes ago, cheesleywalksoncider said:

I like your optimism @pillred but the forecasts I've seen are showing 3 degrees but with wind chill feels like -1 tomorrow at 3 pm. I think whilst the pitch may be okay surrounding areas will make it difficult to put the game on. Quite rightly the club will be concerned about fan safety and that will be an issue tomorrow particularly if we have more snow.

Absolutely. Its only a football match at the end of the day. 

4 minutes ago, cheesleywalksoncider said:

Lets remember the distance the away fans and team have to travel. Does Julie have any info on police decision?

1 minute ago, marmite said:

Lets remember the distance the away fans and team have to travel. Does Julie have any info on police decision?

Absolutely, there needs to be as early a decision as possible given the distances involved.

If it were to be postponed it's not as if we have a load of fixtures to catch up on - it really isn't a problem.

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

Absolutely, there needs to be as early a decision as possible given the distances involved.

If it were to be postponed it's not as if we have a load of fixtures to catch up on - it really isn't a problem.

An they can give any unused food to local charities like Rovers did this week.  Good on them!

4 minutes ago, marmite said:

Not only that, but the emergency services are stretched to absolute breaking point

How can they be expected to police a football match 

A sensible decision needs to be made today. If not by our club....then by Avon and Somerset police. They are quick to throw their weight around when it comes to us playing Cardiff....how about they use their power when its actually needed

1 minute ago, archie andrews said:

bet they loved the out of date crisps..........

:)

It was plenty of good food by all accounts.  Potatoes, vegetables etc for hospitality.  The charity were over the moon.

Although I now have to admit to listening to "Having a Gas", the feature on this was quite touching.

Bristol Rugby have put out the following at https://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/update-bristol-rugby-vs-jersey-reds/

Bristol Rugby and Ashton Gate Stadium are making every effort to ensure that the Greene King IPA Championship clash with Jersey goes ahead on Sunday (2pm KO).

Throughout the week, undersoil heating has been utilised for the playing surface with both Bristol City FC and Bristol Rugby scheduled to play this weekend.

Jersey Reds are scheduled to fly into Southampton Airport on Saturday morning and, at this stage, the club are not anticipating cancellations to their travel.

We will continue to work with local authorities over the weekend to ensure the surrounding roads and pedestrianised areas are safe.

Should anything change, we will update supporters through our official channels immediately.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

London - don`t go out unless you`re wearing thermals, snow boots, a ski jacket, balaclava and bobble hat.

Yorkshire - you might need your cap.

Gloves too- or they covered by thermals?

Me...I don't feel this great cold so much, but then I work outdoors part of the time which helps I guess...

1 minute ago, marmite said:

Police advice is don't drive unless essential. Is a football match essential?  Call it off now before people make expensive decisions.

Essential?

What's the police overtime rate for tomorrow?

3 minutes ago, marmite said:

Police advice is don't drive unless essential. Is a football match essential?  Call it off now before people make expensive decisions.

It does always make me smile when it’s announced “don’t travel unless it is absolutely necessary” on the news. Next item the football is on.

Archived