IGNORED

Weather (Merged)

BcfcDuncs

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Snowing again now.

Nothing can be done until the snow stops.

The fact it might be OK around AG now is kind of irrelevant.  If we'd had no snow to date and we were told we now expect 9 hours of the stuff, we wouldn't be saying "current conditions are OK".

We can only wait for the next batch to pass.  Forecast is not good.

In Bath the temperature is due to go above zero at 13.00 tomorrow. The roads here are not good, more snow forecast, and to be honest, I don't want to asre around struggling to football tomorrow. With the risk of rain landing on freezing roads, that could really be nasty. This is one time where you just make an early decision to postpone, based on state of roads/ paths and forecast.

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yes, but unfortunately I do have the ability/necessity to work from home :(  

Same with me, but no one wants to buy concrete so it’s just catching up with month end stuff that I mainly cleared yesterday. So it’s a day of waiting for someone to call or email. But seeing as I’ve had two emails all day I don’t think it’s going to be a busy day :) 

Back to the game tomorrow I doubt I will be able to get there from here in Wales. Plus this wind chill factor stuff don’t fill me with excitement of sitting out in the cold. 

No doubt come tomorrow my mindset will change and I will be there if the games on. 

13 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Nothing can be done until the snow stops.

The fact it might be OK around AG now is kind of irrelevant.  If we'd had no snow to date and we were told we now expect 9 hours of the stuff, we wouldn't be saying "current conditions are OK".

We can only wait for the next batch to pass.  Forecast is not good.

Just call it off,  no intention of going with conditions like this.

14 minutes ago, xerox6060 said:

Just call it off,  no intention of going with conditions like this.

I'm starting to arrive at the same decision, even if the game does go ahead I'm not convinced I'll bother. Sitting outside for 2 hours in these temperatures doesn't strike me as being a comfortable way to spend Saturday afternoon.

Obviously, if It warms up a bit or the wind drops I might well decide to go, but if it anything like today I don't see me bothering.

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm starting to arrive at the same decision, even if the game does go ahead I'm not convinced I'll bother. Sitting outside for 2 hours in these temperatures doesn't strike me as being a comfortable way to spend Saturday afternoon.

Obviously, if It warms up a bit or the wind drops I might well decide to go, but if it anything like today I don't see me bothering.

My feelings exactly.

13 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

How old are you? I’m 34 and, like @MarcusX said above, I can’t recall many snow days quite like this. My daughter is 4.5 and this is the first time she’s seen proper snow at home.

So, yes, I’d say these days it is rare. And regardless of how common it is, does that mean everyone should just ignore the advice?

80/81 was the last time I can remember proper snow in the Bristol area,went to bed, woke up with snow (in Thornbury) half way up the down stairs windows.

i don't think this area has bad snow since then, yes we have had some snow, but nothing major.  the stuff we have in Bristol now is not particularly deep, but very powdery, I don't know what difference that makes compared to the wetter stuff we usually get.  I am not going to dispute the snow maybe bad in other areas of the west country,I am just talking about the general Bristol area 

If half the 4x4 owners in the country bought a proper set of tires for such occasions, instead of the standard road radials, then straight away a lot of problems would go.  personally i think, just like the rest of Europe, if you own a car it should be legally required to own a set of normal and snow tires, and if you have a smash in the snow in standard radial, causing holdups for others you are charged fined and potentially have licence removed.

2 minutes ago, TRL said:

80/81 was the last time I can remember proper snow in the Bristol area,went to bed, woke up with snow (in Thornbury) half way up the down stairs windows.

i don't think this area has bad snow since then, yes we have had some snow, but nothing major.  the stuff we have in Bristol now is not particularly deep, but very powdery, I don't know what difference that makes compared to the wetter stuff we usually get.  I am not going to dispute the snow maybe bad in other areas of the west country,I am just talking about the general Bristol area 

If half the 4x4 owners in the country bought a proper set of tires for such occasions, instead of the standard road radials, then straight away a lot of problems would go.  personally i think, just like the rest of Europe, if you own a car it should be legally required to own a set of normal and snow tires, and if you have a smash in the snow in standard radial, causing holdups for others you are charged fined and potentially have licence removed.

Can of worms.  What about those who cause avoidable accidents in normal conditions?

Fine, so if you are on the A371, M5, M32,A4

What about the A37, which is impassable from Lydford on Foss to the other side of Temple Cloud and countless other roads. I certainly won't be able to get out unless there's a massive thaw, we have 4 foot drifts round here. Also parking will be a nightmare.....This is the case north, south east and west of Bristol....Ridiculous decision in my view

3 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Can of worms.  What about those who cause avoidable accidents in normal conditions?

that can only be dealt with if there are witnesses, or video evidence.  the evidence here is still on the vehicle.  

At least a decision has been made. Although having to walk further in this weather and then sit in the freezing cold for 2 hours with the possibility of no hot food or drink has made my mind up already. Wrong decision I think by the club/police, watch this space for further news.

4 minutes ago, adamski said:

Fine, so if you are on the A371, M5, M32,A4

What about the A37, which is impassable from Lydford on Foss to the other side of Temple Cloud and countless other roads. I certainly won't be able to get out unless there's a massive thaw, we have 4 foot drifts round here. Also parking will be a nightmare.....This is the case north, south east and west of Bristol....Ridiculous decision in my view

it should be called off, i would imagine lots of Wednesday fans can not get down, and fans in the southwest.  If we have been constantly told not to travel then the club should heed those warning, not base it purely because the surrounding area of the ground is okay and the pitch is playable.  Awful decision imo

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Bristol Rugby have put out the following at https://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/update-bristol-rugby-vs-jersey-reds/

8 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Good that they've communicated before lunch.

Let's see what happens.

I can see utter chaos tomorrow.  I live by the ground and unless there is a proper thaw, it will be a nightmare.   I suspect that when people with responsibility get involved in the decision (ie the police and ambulance) the game will be called off.  We're talking about 20,000 people travelling to a destination with a massive shortfall in adequate parking.  The idea that people will walk is laughable. 

At 10pm last night there were over 300 ambulance call outs waiting to happen in Bristol.  If conditions are the same, I can't see that something like this can be allowed to go ahead.  If it thaws then fine.  

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

I can see utter chaos tomorrow.  I live by the ground and unless there is a proper thaw, it will be a nightmare.   I suspect that when people with responsibility get involved in the decision (ie the police and ambulance) the game will be called off.  We're talking about 20,000 people travelling to a destination with a massive shortfall in adequate parking.  The idea that people will walk is laughable. 

At 10pm last night there were over 300 ambulance call outs waiting to happen in Bristol.  If conditions are the same, I can't see that something like this can be allowed to go ahead.  If it thaws then fine.  

Agreed.  There is no way this will go ahead.

Platitudes such as "fan safety is paramount" dissolve away when push comes to shove.

2 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

The news hasn't gone down well up here, plenty with tickets saying they aren't going to bother travelling down.

I hope you have a refund system in place mate. Just started snowing again here, 3 miles from ground.

Archived