IGNORED

Weather (Merged)

BcfcDuncs

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm not sure I get your point.

If the pitch is fine, the stadium is safe and the roads and pavements in the vicinity are also deemed as safe, why should the match be called off?

I've never heard of a match at AG being postponed before when those conditions have been met.

Because as a member of the community the club should understand the pressures on an already overstretched public service. Statistically there's probably a dozen or more medical emergencies at home games each season and with very low temperatures the likelihood of vulnerable people suffering serious respiratory or cadio -pulmonary issues vastly increases. Look around the stands and you'll spot the candidates. Chances are if such an incident occurs tomorrow there would be a major delay in being able to respond and get casualties to hospital.

If the streets are safe why is the club discouraging fans from driving around Ashton? Is this a long term ploy?

To your last point - there was a game a few years back (forget the opposition) where the game was called off very, very late on when the ambulance service informed the club they would not be able to respond to a serious event, if required. I heard this leaving the Avon Packet from fans walking back to Temple Meads. I loudly cursed the 'snowflake' services milliseconds before hitting the deck with a thud and, like Bambi, I went down twice more before being able to stand upright - whilst in the in boozer the streets had frozen to glass. Same thing happened away at Luton when the surroundings weren't too bad but there was minimal emergency cover.

Encouraging 20k punters to ignore police advice is irresponsible.

20 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm not sure I get your point.

If the pitch is fine, the stadium is safe and the roads and pavements in the vicinity are also deemed as safe, why should the match be called off?

I've never heard of a match at AG being postponed before when those conditions have been met.

The pitch and the areas in the immediate vicinity of the stadium may be fine, but the game may end up being called off if enough stewards are unable to make it to the ground. I don't know what the minimum number of stewards needed for a game is, but I imagine it might be an issue if, say, by midday tomorrow, a certain number of them have told the club they won't be able to get to Ashton Gate in time.

2 minutes ago, Chappers said:

The thinking needs to move with the times. The days when support was from within about 2 miles of the ground and everybody paid on the day are gone. You have to consider people travelling to the game, most of whom have already paid a significant amount of money, which will not be refundable. Looking at the forecast, the biggest risk is a slight thaw in the afternoon, then a re-freeze, with plenty of black ice after the game. 

Oh well, if I don't make it that's £23 lost on my ST.

Very much this. I live in suburban Bristol, hardly remote or the wilderness. The roads around me are sheet black ice covered in a foot plus of snow, I cannot currently get the car out off my driveway, public transport has been cancelled, roads not gritted. A&S need to take some responsibility here, the game is less than 24hrs away. It will be left until the last minute with I expect with a lot of avoidable frustration. @JulieH

3 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Very much this. I live in suburban Bristol, hardly remote or the wilderness. The roads around me are sheet black ice covered in a foot plus of snow, I cannot currently get the car out off my driveway, public transport has been cancelled, roads not gritted. A&S need to take some responsibility here, the game is less than 24hrs away. It will be left until the last minute with I expect with a lot of avoidable frustration. @JulieH

If this game gets postponed tomorrow morning or even later it will just about some up this week for BCFC.

I did notice a slight thaw for an hour this afternoon but it is starting to tip down with snow again now. There is no way tomorrow that we can get out of our lane unless it melts over night. 

First couple of drips of the thaw set in during the last hour here in tropical coastal South Devon.

The overnight frosted-glass conservatory now slowly returning to clear. 

Still a good 4 inches of ice-crusted snow though and bizarre sight of every branch/twig in the trees encrusted in clear ice. 

For the ‘birders’ out there, a flock of 30 or so fieldfare, solitary redwing and bullfinch to add to the garden list.

Dozen or so of prime Torbay Palms suffering brewers droop and have had it though. Bugger. 

Roving Reporter. South Devon.

52 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Funnily enough the coldest i have ever been at AG was a game against Sheff Wed in Dec 1990 i think. Bitterly cold wind blowing throug the ground and then it started snowing in the 2nd half.

Remember that well, absolutely brass monkey. Was in the company of a fellow London Supporter who decided to take his newly born to the match ( and I mean newly born.) Even wrapped up to the nines the babe and carriage was so slight we both had to keep our hands on the seat to stop it flipping up. And then we scored....you can guess the rest.

5 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

First couple of drips of the thaw set in during the last hour here in tropical coastal South Devon.

The overnight frosted-glass conservatory now slowly returning to clear. 

Still a good 4 inches of ice-crusted snow though and bizarre sight of every branch/twig in the trees encrusted in clear ice. 

For the ‘birders’ out there, a flock of 30 or so fieldfare, solitary redwing and bullfinch to add to the garden list.

Dozen or so of prime Torbay Palms suffering brewers droop and have had it though. Bugger. 

Roving Reporter. South Devon.

Lovely stuff.

6 inches of snow here and hammering down. Several feet in the drifts.  -3 and little chance of a thaw before Monday given our height.

Can see a frosted Collie-dog through the window jumping through the garden snow.

IMG-865985df9752ecce543a21415b03c7b5-V.jpg

15 minutes ago, Chappers said:

The thinking needs to move with the times. The days when support was from within about 2 miles of the ground and everybody paid on the day are gone. You have to consider people travelling to the game, most of whom have already paid a significant amount of money, which will not be refundable. Looking at the forecast, the biggest risk is a slight thaw in the afternoon, then a re-freeze, with plenty of black ice after the game. 

Oh well, if I don't make it that's £23 lost on my ST.

How can there be re-freeze when the temperature is forecast to be above freezing all day?

Due to be 3 deg. C during the match then 2 deg. C when it finishes and all evening.

I sympathise with your individual position, and anyone else's, if the weather where you live means you are unable to attend but all the criteria for the match going ahead seem to be met as far as I can see.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

How can there be re-freeze when the temperature is forecast to be above freezing all day?

Due to be 3 deg. C during the match then 2 deg. C when it finishes and all evening.

I sympathise with your individual position, and anyone else's, if the weather where you live means you are unable to attend but all the criteria for the match going ahead seem to be met as far as I can see.

Apart from the police advising people not to travel. Left hand right hand???

Think the club need to call this one off now. The snow is piling up as I write and there's no way that the roads and pavements around the ground will be cleared before Sat pm. Buses unlikely to run either  because although the roads may be clear, the lay-bys and stops they use will be hazardous. A late call off is the last thing the club needs with all this season ticket business rumbling on in the background!! 

11 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Lovely stuff.

6 inches of snow here and hammering down. Several feet in the drifts.  -3 and little chance of a thaw before Monday given our height.

Can see a frosted Collie-dog through the window jumping through the garden snow.

IMG-865985df9752ecce543a21415b03c7b5-V.jpg

Excellent, my staffy though is not impressed and prefers the warmth. A very rare no walkies day for us.

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Funnily enough the coldest i have ever been at AG was a game against Sheff Wed in Dec 1990 i think. Bitterly cold wind blowing throug the ground and then it started snowing in the 2nd half..

I remember this game as well, definitely the coldest I've ever been at a match. Stood on the Open End, my mates went home at half time. I haven't got a clue why I stayed.

We drew 1-1 iirc.

7 minutes ago, Jarman said:

The programmes have been printed (cost) and the stewards paid (cost) and the food inputs sourced (cost) so **** the fans ....

Don't know about stewards ( aren't they zero hours) but reckon there's little by the way of perishable foodstuffs that couldn't be avoided. Worst case we could show our CSR and donate to worthy charities ( as many clubs have done this week.)  As to programmes, don't the still do what they've always done and simply reissue irrespective of how later in the season it's been? Normally they didn't even change the cover but often inserted a 'supplement' giving revised team updates.

32 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Avon and Somerset have taken responsibility and issued the advice of do not travel unless absolutely necessary. That continues to be the advice at this time . 

2 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Avon and Somerset have taken responsibility and issued the advice of do not travel unless absolutely necessary. That continues to be the advice at this time . 

But they have also told City that there is no need to cancel the game as the roads are fine. Do you not see the contradiction here?

Theyve just Emailed to say Ashton Park School parking will not be open, for which we pay £150 a season for a parking permit, and they wont be offering any alternative. WELL DONE BRISTOL SPORT YOU MONEY GRABBING WA@KERS. And thanks for 40+ years of support.

Archived