IGNORED

A team "to trust" against Wednesday

cidered abroad

After hearing the post game interview and comments on other threads, what should be the starting eleven against the Wendys?

Lets assume that Baker and Fammy are fit; then look at alternatives if as I suspect Baker may not be.

There are clearly some of our squad that have been given a verbal kick up the backside. Will they keep their places or could we see some academy boys in the team? Kelly, Baldwin come to mind. Walsh and Eliasson to come in?

Back to a false number 9 with Reid and Pato as the main attackers? A late sub appearance for Diedhiou instead of a start?

Your ideas and comments.

5 minutes ago, footie said:

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker/Magnússon Bryan

Brownhill Smith Walsh Paterson

Fammy  Reid

Go back to a similar system that fared so well during the earlier stages of the season, Walsh's time to shine.

You’d leave Pack out..?!

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

On the assumption we have everyone fit and available bar the long term absentees I’d go:

Fielding 

Wright - Baker - Flint - Bryan

Brownhill - Smith - Pack - Kent

Reid - Fam

This, but probably Paterson ahead of Kent. 

I know he’s been off the boil for several games, but he’s had a rest & time to re-focus now and he was instrumental in our pre-Christmas success. Kent on the bench to replace him if he isn’t performing. 

I would be quite interested to see Reid and Diony. I’m convinced he’s not a dud, you don’t have the season he had last year if you’re genuinely crap.

I think he needs a goal badly, playing with Reid gives him the best chance of achieving that. If he gets his goal and gets going that could be crucial in the run in.

Depending on  injuries- let's assume Baker and Diedhiou are back fit again.

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Magnússon

Brownhill Smith Pack Bryan

Paterson

Reid

I know Paterson not necessarily in-form, but form is temporary etc.

IF Baker and Diedhiou injured? The same side except Mags for Baker.

Or maybe even- if all fit:

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Bryan

Brownhill Smith Pack Paterson

Reid Diedhiou

I do have reservations about the 4-4-2 in general though- as a system I mean- have done for a while, but as Brownhill and Paterson can come inside, that can mitigate this. Could even have a 4-3-1-2 type thing going on with this. (Brownhill Pack Smith in a 3, with Paterson floating between the lines behind Reid and Diedhiou).

Overall though, if all fit? The first team I'd go with.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I would be quite interested to see Reid and Diony. I’m convinced he’s not a dud, you don’t have the season he had last year if you’re genuinely crap.

I think he needs a goal badly, playing with Reid gives him the best chance of achieving that. If he gets his goal and gets going that could be crucial in the run in.

I desperately want to believe that he’s not awful. But can we afford to give him repeated chances to prove it? I’d be very disappointed if he’s starting, assuming other options are fully fit. 

Off the bench to score a much needed confidence boosting winner maybe!

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I desperately want to believe that he’s not awful. But can we afford to give him repeated chances to prove it? I’d be very disappointed if he’s starting, assuming other options are fully fit. 

Off the bench to score a much needed confidence boosting winner maybe!

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Phileas Fogg

I too think Diony does have ability...the problem is given how much our lead has been whittled down, I say our lead I actually mean our gap over the other key playoff chasers, we can't really afford to give him time to settle, bed in and regain confidence IMO. Which is a shame.

Yeah I agree with you, in the circumstances was a strange signing to make in January. Perhaps better to sign someone like him in June. 

I reckon we tried for the likes of Grabban maybe even Afobe and ended up with him further down the list. 

I haven’t been keeping up with news really but isn’t Diedhiou an injury worry? If so I’d probably go with Diony and Reid.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah I agree with you, in the circumstances was a strange signing to make in January. Perhaps better to sign someone like him in June. 

I reckon we tried for the likes of Grabban maybe even Afobe and ended up with him further down the list. 

I haven’t been keeping up with news really but isn’t Diedhiou an injury worry? If so I’d probably go with Diony and Reid.

Yes I imagine Diony was far from our first target. Yet all we will hear on here is ‘should have signed XYZ’, like the thought had never occurred to any of the people involved in player recruitment!

Mad how quickly people think we will be competing with well established Champ clubs with twice the budget we have. 

I think (hope) Diony will be a different player once he bags a goal, but on what I’ve seen so far that could be some time. I don’t like to make snap judgements on players but he looks like a man completely lost. 

A team I can trust personally would have to be

frankie fielding 

bailey wright -Aden Flint - Nathan baker ( magners if unfit )

Josh brownhill 

Joe Bryan 

Gary O Neil

korey smith Marlon pack 

bobby Reid 

famara diedhiou

3-3-2-1-1

(Wide second 3)

o Neil central defensive mid

brownhill and Joey acting as inter changing wingbacks / pocket lined defensive units

marlon and Korey in the middle 

Bobby playing just off of FAMARA,

the fact GON would be in the team would give Marlon some freedom to kick on and let Bobby become a striker when attacking 

As silly as it sound Sheffield Wednesday have players like Bannon, reach , Joao 

they like to play central so if you can overload the middle and play into the channels you can create space for yourself.

i fully expect a basic 4-4-2 however 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Actually thinking about it Gary O’Neil could be a very important returning player. 

I've said this before on here, a bit of experience is exactly what we've been missing recently. Think he could be a very valuable asset to have for the last half hour/20 mins to help close games out. 

I feel like Diony may be getting a raw deal. I mentioned this elsewhere but if you look at the highlights of him pre City and in particular listen to the interview with a French football expert that OSIB had he is not the player his physique suggests. The expert laid out very clearly that he is not a target man - not someone to lump the ball up too. He is someone who likes to get in behind and is quick. The one start he had we seemed to drop down to Cardiff's style of play and just wack it up to him. I'm not an expert on his game but form those few sources I would suggest that when he plays we need to get the ball in behind - Pack being back would help with that. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. Diony has looked bad against Sunderland and Cardiff. In both games he had no one linking the play behind him. Well, he had Diedhiou, but he can't do that role. I thought he looked decent against Fulham when he came on, and very good on his debut against QPR. Certainly not going to say he is a bad player from what I have seen.

Good observations, QPR he replaced Diedhiou, so maybe they aren’t a good pair?

Agree. Diony has looked bad against Sunderland and Cardiff. In both games he had no one linking the play behind him. Well, he had Diedhiou, but he can't do that role. I thought he looked decent against Fulham when he came on, and very good on his debut against QPR. Certainly not going to say he is a bad player from what I have seen.

To be far he got in good positions against Sunderland. I actually think that he could be incredible. However he is so short on confidence and in a new league, country etc. All he needs is a few to bobble in and I reckon he could motor.

I think calling him "very good" against QPR is being generous

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The sentiment is fine, actions must speak louder than words. He has had cameo parts, half games, and started games, and to date not that promising. Simply must step up a gear

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

LJ’s own words last season....several times.

It's baffling.

LJ really must second-guess himself the minute things start to wobble.

Pick the players who won you games earlier in the year.

Mags at LB, JB at LM

Fam, Pineapplehead in the last 20 if losing

Walsh, Woodrow in last 20 to head to the oppo corner flag if winning. And stay there.

With the ball, obviously.

Simple.

Whatever the composition of the team, Wednesday on Saturday is a "must win" game.

Confidence is low and would be rock bottom if we were to lose. Earlier in the season we went out expecting to win, whereas now we seem to go out expecting NOT to win.

The side put out against Cardiff was a case in point. We did not expect to win, so were set up to try and nullify Cardiff. Consequently we were out "managered". We seem to be in complete awe of Warnock. We should have simply played the way we play best, not play into his hands.

I honestly don’t know what team I’d pick myself if I had to, let alone what LJ will do, but would just offer two thoughts. One, I’ll be very surprised if Pack doesn’t start, and two, don’t rule out an unexpected return for O’Neill. LJ may feel the time has come to trust an old head, either from the off or from the bench, and the fact that GON completed a full 90 mins in the U-23 side the other day may be a clue.

Archived