IGNORED

Arsenal v Man City

Lrrr

32 minutes ago, hodge said:

If Arsenal have a manager in mind to take over the now is the time to act really, they're out of the race for 5th even, getting someone new in will give them 8/9 games to look at the players and have a better idea who they want to keep around for next season. 

You get the impression they want to let him go out with a bit of grace, but it's just embarrassing now.

Why they didn't have a succession plan and replace him at the end of last season is beyond me.

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

You get the impression they want to let him go out with a bit of grace, but it's just embarrassing now.

Why they didn't have a succession plan and replace him at the end of last season is beyond me.

There is no grace to be had now apart from the Europa league, he should have bowed out after winning the FA Cup last season, would have been an apt finish. He's now too stubborn to see he's doing more harm than good. 

6 minutes ago, South-of-river said:

Diego simeone? 

Don't know if he'd want it atm, Madrid job is peachy at the moment, if true Griezmann is off in the summer likely to get a big budget to reinvest. Think someone like Ancelotti is probably as good as they could do. 

Arsenal 30 points behind Man City :noexp:

I don't think you can blame Wenger for still being manager. It's easy for us to look at it from a distance and say he should have left, but the guy has BEEN Arsenal for a lifetime, he lives and breathes both football and the club and for a large period was inspirational for them. It was quite telling and sad that he said in an interview not too long ago that 'retirement is death'. He no doubt totally believes he was still the man for the job and wants to cling on to it with everything.

The board, however, have been supremely negligent in the recent past. They should never have given the 'job for life' assurances, and should have been brave enough to make the transition to a new manager sooner. They have done a decent attempt at ruining Wenger's incredible legacy by being so weak. Really sad to see a legend like Wenger like this.

32 minutes ago, hodge said:

Don't know if he'd want it atm, Madrid job is peachy at the moment, if true Griezmann is off in the summer likely to get a big budget to reinvest. Think someone like Ancelotti is probably as good as they could do. 

Arsenal 30 points behind Man City :noexp:

Am not sure he’d want it. Yep Atletico have a habit of selling best players but they seem to recruit new ones well. They’ve got a spanking new stadium and in the CL each season.  He’s building his own legacy there. I see the next person in at Arsenal will last as long as Moyes did at Man U 

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

While Arsenal are obviously pretty pitiful, you can't blame them for losing to a club who've quite clearly just cherrypicked the best players to buy the title.

So you wouldn't want us to do the same - play brilliant pass and move with the best players we could lay our hands on?

And it's just what every one of the "big" clubs does these days - buy success rather than slowly nurture a homegrown team. That's top flight English football now.   

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

Just seen they have AC Milan in the next round of the Europa League, say goodbye to that as well then. 

It's not the AC Milan we all normally know. However, since Gattuso took over in December they have gone 13 games unbeaten and have not conceded in 5 games. I can see them beating Arsenal.

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

While Arsenal are obviously pretty pitiful, you can't blame them for losing to a club who've quite clearly just cherrypicked the best players to buy the title.

Its not just who they've signed though, the style of play is outstanding and they're completely dominant. They're on course for a 100 point season at the moment, the record is currently 95, they just need 21 in 10 games to break that. 

5 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

It's not the AC Milan we all normally know. However, since Gattuso took over in December they have gone 13 games unbeaten and have not conceded in 5 games. I can see them beating Arsenal.

Still don't think it will be too taxing for AC Milan to get through, as you say a turn around of late and they still have a good squad.

3 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Yes they're a shadow of their former selves but have certainly perked up since Christmas. Didn't think Gattuso - the poor man's Steve Galliers - had it in him. Not sure they're good enough to beat Arsenal though, if the Arse can be arsed that is. 

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

So you wouldn't want us to do the same - play brilliant pass and move with the best players we could lay our hands on?

And it's just what every one of the "big" clubs does these days - buy success rather than slowly nurture a homegrown team. That's top flight English football now.   

I think Man City's spending has surpassed just about anybody's. Got an injured defender? No problem - they can just buy another for £57million (who, absurdly, hardly even gets a game). I don't doubt Pep is a good manager, but come on - the amount of salivating over him and his team is ridiculous when you consider how much he/they've spent and continue to spend. As for FFP, well...

Would I want the same thing to happen at City? Yes and no. Yes because it means seeing some of the world's best players at Ashton Gate. But no because there's absolutely zero identity in it. Man City are the best simply because they're the ones who were lucky enough to have some mega-rich people buy them. If those same owners had bought Hull City, Hull City would now be the best.

9 minutes ago, hodge said:

Its not just who they've signed though, the style of play is outstanding and they're completely dominant. They're on course for a 100 point season at the moment, the record is currently 95, they just need 21 in 10 games to break that. 

They've also cherrypicked the best coaching team ;-)

18 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think Man City's spending has surpassed just about anybody's. Got an injured defender? No problem - they can just buy another for £57million (who, absurdly, hardly even gets a game). I don't doubt Pep is a good manager, but come on - the amount of salivating over him and his team is ridiculous when you consider how much he/they've spent and continue to spend. As for FFP, well...

Would I want the same thing to happen at City? Yes and no. Yes because it means seeing some of the world's best players at Ashton Gate. But no because there's absolutely zero identity in it. Man City are the best simply because they're the ones who were lucky enough to have some mega-rich people buy them. If those same owners had bought Hull City, Hull City would now be the best.

About Laporte, they want the PL won as soon as possible and their current pairing is winning it for them, why would you risk that? Laporte and Stones will be their long term CB pairing once Kompany/Otamendi are done, maybe as early as next season. As for the cherrypicking players comment, we kind of did that in our L1 winning season, didn't hear any of our fans complain we'd taken the best players in the league.

Archived