IGNORED

Sheff Weds fans

Globe Trotter

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What happened H? Or is it pretty obvious? I saw loads of police on Ashton Road and didn’t see any trouble, anyone starting anything in front of that police presence must be a bit deranged?!

Same as a number of other incidents. Mouthing off, got told to shut up, mouthed off some more so got a smack. Old bill were right by it and wrapped them up straight away. 

23 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I know we sing the song to wind up other teams’ fans - but today I totally disagreed with “Just like Bristol, your City is red” - not for me, Sheffield means ‘Wednesday’

I thought the same today. Whichever way you look at it, Sheffield is patently not red. 

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Always liked Wednesday, for the reasons already mentioned.

Tbh I don't mind the other lot either, although their manager is a proper knobhead.

To be fair, fans of both Sheffield clubs are pretty loyal and turn out in impressive numbers - our two club City can’t live with their attendances etc...

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

To be fair, fans of both Sheffield clubs are pretty loyal and turn out in impressive numbers - our two club City can’t live with their attendances etc...

No, we can't but not without good reason:

Sheffield: 126 seasons of top class football, and 5 times Champions of England.

Bristol: 9 seasons of top class football, and never once Champions of England.

Sheffield: 21 seasons of Div 3/Div 4 football.

Bristol: 116 seasons of lower league stuff.

Sheffield: 7 times FA Cup winners.

Bristol: Paint Pot Trophy winners.

Sheffield: actually won the League cup once.

Bristol: three League cup semi-finals.

I wonder how Sheffield would "live" with our track-record of mediocrity. When Wednesday had a prolonged stay in Div 3 in the 1970s, their average dipped as low as 10k. 

*Rovers have done **** all to help with this!

21 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I wonder how Sheffield would "live" with our track-record of mediocrity. When Wednesday had a prolonged stay in Div 3 in the 1970s, their average dipped as low as 10k. 

Thanks for the stats...ok, to reply...

- no Sheffield club has been Champions of England since 1930 so not many current fans of either club would have been influenced by that

- no Sheffield club has won the FA Cup since 1935 so not many current fans of either club would have been influenced by that

- Sheff Utd - one season in the top tier in the last 24 years

- Sheff Weds - zero seasons in the top tier in the last 18 years

- just one major honour won by a Sheffield club in the last 17 years (league cup)

...I think all that means their modern day support for both clubs is pretty awesome and makes ours (Bristol’s clubs) look pretty paltry...

- and when Wednesday were in the third tier during the seventies their average crowd at home was 13,000, reaching over 18,000 during one season...

22 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Plus the fact there is about a quarter of a million more people living in Sheffield which might be a reason for them having bigger crowds!!

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

- no Sheffield club has been Champions of England since 1930 so not many current fans of either club would have been influenced by that

- no Sheffield club has won the FA Cup since 1935 so not many current fans of either club would have been influenced by that

- just one major honour won by a Sheffield club in the last 17 years (league cup)

...I think all that means their modern day support for both clubs is pretty awesome and makes ours (Bristol’s clubs) look pretty paltry...

Fair play, you've just managed to supply a load of stats that back up @Jack Dawe points. 

2 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Kind words, I've ran out of 'likes' today!

Deserved mate. Always had a soft spot for Wednesday and today cements it. Great club. Don’t think there’s many teams who would’ve had that many fans left at FT at 4-0 in -2 temperatures. 

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Deserved mate. Always had a soft spot for Wednesday and today cements it. Great club. Don’t think there’s many teams who would’ve had that many fans left at FT at 4-0 in -2 temperatures. 

I would of been gone at h/t after that truly woeful first half display 

I thought the Wednesday fans were superb. They provided fantastic vocal support to a spineless team that don't deserve them. That was the Owl's worst performance I've ever witnessed at Ashton Gate. They should refund their fans travel expenses. Except that humongous, topless, bald guy. He'd only spend the compo on pies.

52 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

- and when Wednesday were in the third tier during the seventies their average crowd at home was 13,000, reaching over 18,000 during one season...

The men of Sheffield that witnessed their team sweep all before them in the 1930s, had a tale to tell their sons in the 1940s and 50s. Of glory and triumph. And history being made. The sons kept the faith and told their sons proud tales of the team from Sheffield "that your grandfather" watched, and - with regular top two division football to watch - they kept going, hoping to see this great history repeated.

Meanwhile, in Bristol, what did our grandfathers have to talk about? Bobbing up and down between Div 3 and Div 2. Mediocrity.

My grandfathers - neither followed football. Nor my father. No surprise there.

It's called "tradition." In Sheffield, they have a "tradition," a great tradition and history. In Sheffield they have a "tradition" of going to football in numbers  forged way back to a time when they enjoyed tremendous success. History is massively important in football (witness Liverpool jibes to Chelsea fans; everyone to MK dons). We have a "tradition" but a mediocre one in comparison, with a mediocre support (in comparison) as a result.

That it happened so long ago is irrelevant. Why do you think Newcastle, Sunderland, Pompey, Southampton, Ipswich and Norwich are better supported than us? And why do you think our support/numbers are better than Rovers'?

Name a club with a poorer "tradition" or record, and a better support?

Without a dad to tell me about "the glory days" my "tradition" began going with my older brother in the late 70s. I've been dreaming ever since of seeing this little club of ours back at the top, where I first saw them. That's what keeps me going.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

A few nobends outside who swiftly got dealt with! Why do teams think they can walk down Ashton Road singing and taking the pis? About 6 times this season now - they all soon learn though :boxing: 

Ha,Harry............reminds me of a few years ago about ten of them singing and taking the piss out of young 'uns and old ladies when they spotted a mob of about half a dozen lads who could be considered the slightest bit hard  on the corner of Ashton/Duckmoor Rd. They immediately shut up and muttered "keep it tight lads" !  Me and Son Of Nob just ripped the piss out of them mercilessly........."Where's all the mouth lads, sing up Wendy " :P

M

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Rubbish, a smaller City than ours (population wise) with two clubs who’ve won pretty much nothing since 1935...

Their attendances (both clubs) are way above the two Bristol clubs  (home and away)...

Pop of Sheffield: 575,000. Metropolitan area: 1.5m.

Pop of Bristol: 454,000. Metro area: 1.02m.

3 hours ago, tommy32 said:

Fair play for the amount they managed to bring down. Noticed a few clapping off Bobby when he went off including Tango man who was getting plenty of stick from the Dutch. Was chatting to a few Owls who came up from Lands End! 

You mean this vid?: 

no real harm meant with btw...

16 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

The men of Sheffield that witnessed their team sweep all before them in the 1930s, had a tale to tell their sons in the 1940s and 50s. Of glory and triumph. And history being made. The sons kept the faith and told their sons proud tales of the team from Sheffield "that your grandfather" watched, and - with regular top two division football to watch - they kept going, hoping to see this great history repeated.

Meanwhile, in Bristol, what did our grandfathers have to talk about? Bobbing up and down between Div 3 and Div 2. Mediocrity.

My grandfathers - neither followed football. Nor my father. No surprise there.

It's called "tradition." In Sheffield, they have a "tradition," a great tradition and history. In Sheffield they have a "tradition" of going to football in numbers  forged way back to a time when they enjoyed tremendous success. History is massively important in football (witness Liverpool jibes to Chelsea fans; everyone to MK dons). We have a "tradition" but a mediocre one in comparison, with a mediocre support (in comparison) as a result.

That it happened so long ago is irrelevant. Why do you think Newcastle, Sunderland, Pompey, Southampton, Ipswich and Norwich are better supported than us? And why do you think our support/numbers are better than Rovers'?

Name a club with a poorer "tradition" or record, and a better support?

Without a dad to tell me about "the glory days" my "tradition" began going with my older brother in the late 70s. I've been dreaming ever since of seeing this little club of ours back at the top, where I first saw them. That's what keeps me going.

Ipswich are better supported?

55 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

18k when they were promoted.

10k after four seasons of Div 3 rubbish, no sign of a return to the Second Div and finishing 14th. If they'd had 14 seasons of iDiv 3 what would it be reasonable to think their support or fan interest might've been: on the wax, or the wane?

But they are loyal and do get behind a winning team, no doubt about it. And their away support is superb. But as I have said, you tend to see this with the clubs with a more successful "tradition" than us.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

"just the one".....as KITR said, enough said!

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

@Kid in the Riot do you condone violence towards fellow football fans then? 

I wouldn’t put it down to ‘football’. In most situations where a few idiots are being bullies others will come along and put them in their place. 

Fact is, it doesn’t happen if bullies don’t attempt bullying. 

In all of the incidents I’ve seen this season along that same stretch of road, the away fans have been trying to bully home fans and have soon received their just desserts. 

Basic rule of thumb is, don’t be a nob and you won’t get hurt. I think the kids call it something else these days - chat shit get banged. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I wouldn’t put it down to ‘football’. In most situations where a few idiots are being bullies others will come along and put them in their place. 

Fact is, it doesn’t happen if bullies don’t attempt bullying. 

In all of the incidents I’ve seen this season along that same stretch of road, the away fans have been trying to bully home fans and have soon received their just desserts. 

Basic rule of thumb is, don’t be a nob and you won’t get hurt. I think the kids call it something else these days - chat shit get banged. 

Anyone who goes looking for trouble and who finds it has no sympathy from me. 

But I still find pretty sad to see people revelling in violence. Thought we were by and large past all that crap. 

8 minutes ago, harrys said:

Ipswich are better supported?

Yes. Not currently, but let's see how many we get after 14 successive seasons in this league and slipping down the table. And Mick McCarthy. And check their away support, very decent.

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Anyone who goes looking for trouble and who finds it has no sympathy from me. 

But I still find pretty sad to see people revelling in violence. Thought we were by and large past all that crap. 

Your first sentence is where it’s at. No need for the second sentence. 

No sympathy for those who look for it. That’s exactly what happened here. 

Archived