IGNORED

Police presence

GrahamC

Any ideas what that was all about?

At least 3 riot vans parked up outside and absolutely loads of them in full riot gear hanging around by the Dolman after the game.

Sheffield Wednesday have no reputation for trouble at all and most people who were at the game were far more interested in keeping warm.

Operation Overtime strikes again?

2 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

The 100 or so Willem fans that came over? 

Seemed to be two coppers every few hundred yards up north street. Total overkill 

Liked seeing that vid of the Willem fans. Wasn’t there today, were they singing all game in the Lansdown? If they were, it’ll be first time ever there’s been an atmosphere in that stand!

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

At least 3 riot vans parked up outside and absolutely loads of them in full riot gear hanging around by the Dolman after the game.

Sheffield Wednesday have no reputation for trouble at all and most people who were at the game were far more interested in keeping warm.

Little bit of shenanigans at H&C after the 4:1 two years ago (Grand National Day), might be related to that? Coppers arrived and bundled the visitors into vehicles and took them off to TM. We were right in the thick of it, for a moment. I'm getting a bit too past it for that sort of thing nowadays, tbf. 

Wasn't there but from everything I've read and seen pictures of it sounds like massive overkill, from all that was said about emergency services being needed elsewhere and Julie saying officers had rest days cancelled, why were there that many there? 

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Speed cameras broken I suppose

6 minutes ago, rymiller said:

There was a planned first defence (or similar group) march in the city centre that was only cancelled yesterday due to the weather so there was a lot of spare police on duty 

Doing what? **** all, just stood about.

They could have made themselves useful & cleared some snow.

17 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

i think when we played them in the early 2000 it was quite naughty up around clifton and in hotwells.......

Yep - think it was around 2002 / 2003. Was a good old toe to toe on the Waterfront as City exited the Mardyke at the same time as Weds exited the Pumphouse.

IIRC there’d was a bit of set to at the Avon Gorge Hotel earlier in the day.

2 minutes ago, Rule The Waves said:

Yep - think it was around 2002 / 2003. Was a good old toe to toe on the Waterfront as City exited the Mardyke at the same time as Weds exited the Pumphouse.

IIRC there’d was a bit of set to at the Avon Gorge Hotel earlier in the day.

yes that was the game i was thinking about . they brought a few lads down that day .all good fun back in the day...................

1 minute ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

Yawn

lets have a go at the police 

As a cop am I allowed to go to Ashton gate as a fan when I'm off duty because it seems I wouldn't be welcome?

Ridiculous 

Think you’re missing the point, the comments are down to numbers, there were more police there today than any recent game I can remember. Perhaps that’s how the attendance was announced as 22,000?

1 minute ago, East End Old Boy said:

Think you’re missing the point, the comments are down to numbers, there were more police there today than any recent game I can remember. Perhaps that’s how the attendance was announced as 22,000?

A wild stab in the dark. - there was probably some intelligence that trouble was planned and as such a policing plan was put together to stop/minimise it

2 minutes ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

A wild stab in the dark. - there was probably some intelligence that trouble was planned and as such a policing plan was put together to stop/minimise it

That was the general consensus of the guys I was with, the presence was significant and covering most of the outside of the ground.

Basically crapped themselves because Willem were here. They don’t seem to grasp that we are friends and show each other generous hospitality with zero trouble. For some reason they think it’s all about trouble. 

12 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

But with respect, why does it matter how many are there? If people have no intention of causing trouble then doesn't really matter does it?

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Basically crapped themselves because Willem were here. They don’t seem to grasp that we are friends and show each other generous hospitality with zero trouble. For some reason they think it’s all about trouble. 

Where were they drinking before the game, can’t say saw them anywhere?

Archived