IGNORED

The Preston North End FC v Bristol City FC Match Day Thread 36

Septic Peg

Good evening folks!

It's time to eradicate a demon from Deepdale tonight. It's our first return oop north to Preston since 'that' game...

Yes, probably a marking point of last season was the absolute hiding we took at Deepdale, which inevitably ended in the first team refunding the travelling support from their own pockets. Just a few weeks previous had seen us batter promotion hopefuls Huddersfield 4-0 and we all know what happened to them!

However, prior to the Preston game was a loss at Brentford and the doomsayers were back in force...

We were low at that point and OTIB was a hive of negativity and misery. Bedsheets painted, protests planned, boycotts showing empty seats in an atmosphere of upset at Ashton Gate.

Near on 11 months later, and LJ is still here. He rode the storm like Poseidon on a Sea Horse and here we sit in 6th place, with a slim but fair chance at the play offs... Bobby Reid is king. Flinty is being suggested as a possibility for an England call up in a friendly. Marlon Pack made Paul Pogba look like a pub league player. We beat ******* Manchester United!!!!!!

Could any of us had believed this would happen in just a year after Preston put 5 past us? Because I sure as shit could not.

So tonight, as around 200 City fans make the bleak 400 miles round trip, we hope that whatever happens, lightning doesn't strike twice and history doesn't repeat itself... 

1-1 I smell a draw... probably a fair result for both us and Preston...

Come on you reds...

2 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Good evening folks!

It's time to eradicate a demon from Deepdale tonight. It's our first return oop north to Preston since 'that' game...

Yes, probably a marking point of last season was the absolute hiding we took at Deepdale, which inevitably ended in the first team refunding the travelling support from their own pockets. Just a few weeks previous had seen us batter promotion hopefuls Huddersfield 4-0 and we all know what happened to them!

However, prior to that was a loss at Brentford and the doomsayers were back in force...

We were low at that point and OTIB was a hive of negativity and misery. Bedsheets painted, protests planned, boycotts showing empty seats in an atmosphere of upset at Ashton Gate.

Near on 11 months later, and LJ is still here. He rode the storm like Poseidon on a Sea Horse and here we sit in 6th place, with a slim but fair chance at the play offs... Bobby Reid is king. Flinty is being suggested as a possibility for an England call up in a friendly. Marlon Pack made Paul Pogba look like a pub league player. We beat ******* Manchester United!!!!!!

Could any of us had believed this would happen in just a year after Preston put 5 past us? Because I sure as shit could not.

So tonight, as around 200 City fans make the bleak 400 miles round trip, we hope that whatever happens, lightning doesn't strike twice and history doesn't repeat itself... 

Come on you reds...

The turn around in our club since Preston away is staggering, the players and management deserve huge credit for this.

I think the result will be a draw also, which with games coming up against Burton, Ipswich and Barnsley should see us in a good position going into the final straight in April. 

35 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Good evening folks!

However, prior to the Preston game was a loss at Brentford and the doomsayers were back in force...

Come on you reds...

How are our chances of making the play-offs slim??

10 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

Would take a dull draw

Definitely take a dull draw over a thrashing like last time.

However our team - and coaching staff - should be looking to put things right because that was a truly unacceptable and embarrassing performance last season, and everyone on the team coach heading to Preston should be looking to make amends.

Let's hope they do just that and help to erase that memory, especially for those loyal City fans who endured that dreadful capitulation live, and have still returned to Deepdale to support the club again tonight.

PNE 1 BCFC 2.

8 minutes ago, 1891 B.C. Sweden said:

Fielding, Wright, Flint, Magnússon, Bryan, Brownhill, Pack, Smith, Paterson, Diédhiou, Reid.

Subs: Steele, Pisano, O'Neil, Kent, Eliasson, Walsh, Diony.

Noice.

Up the ******* City.

7 minutes ago, daored said:

Not surprised to see Wright back 

Me neither.

Blatantly obvious Pisano isn’t fit yet, we got away with it at home to a poor side but top six rivals away from home is a different matter.

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Probably sensible to see Wright back in at RB. The solid, away from home option.

Eros probably isn't quite 100% ready for Saturday/Tuesday games yet either way after 4 months out.

Hasn't had U23's football to build him up either, think he was very much thrown in because of Wright being out against Wednesday, think LJ would have preferred having some match time to build him up. 

Our team/shape:

Rudd

Fisher   Huntington  Davies  Cunningham

Pearson   Gallagher

Bodin                 Browne           Barkhuizen

Robinson

Maxwell Spurr Woods Johnson Harrop Maguire Moult

2 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Our team/shape:

Rudd

Fisher   Huntington  Davies  Cunningham

Pearson   Gallagher

Bodin                 Browne           Barkhuizen

Robinson

Maxwell Spurr Woods Johnson Harrop Maguire Moult

Looking at that I'd dare to say Preston aren't going to come out looking to attack us in numbers but instead play a more balanced counter game. I'm not confident about tonight, we never get a result against Preston and having Hodor in the middle always makes my nervous twitch go into over-drive.

24 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

How are our chances of making the play-offs slim??

Just that there are 10 points separating us and Norwich in 14th place. That's 8 teams that could potentially go on a run and if we have a drop in form, could see us plummet.

Perhaps slim was the wrong word. Maybe moderate would have been a better word.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Looking at that I'd dare to say Preston aren't going to come out looking to attack us in numbers but instead play a more balanced counter game. I'm not confident about tonight, we never get a result against Preston and having Hodor in the middle always makes my nervous twitch go into over-drive.

My first reaction as well. I think we edge it if we keep the ball on the floor. Possibly a game for Kent though as playing centrally may suit PNE with Pearson Browne and Gallagher in there

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

My first reaction as well. I think we edge it if we keep the ball on the floor. Possibly a game for Kent though as playing centrally may suit PNE with Pearson Browne and Gallagher in there

Honestly, I think we'd have more chance of edging it if they set out to attack us, we're better when we're being pushed and then can counter, teams who play a lot at the back tend to be the teams we struggle the most with. Seeing a back 4 with 2 defensive/ holding midfielders makes me think we may struggle to score unless we get a lot of set pieces.

Archived