IGNORED

The Preston North End FC v Bristol City FC Match Day Thread 36

Septic Peg

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

We can talk budgets all we like. Getting back to tonight's game, we are playing a team with a smaller budget that our own. 

Indeed and they’re doing very well, like we have done against a number of sides whose budgets are considerably bigger. Like us they’ll probably fall short of being able to do it enough over a 46 game season. 

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If we’re not good enough for the playoffs, who is exactly? We were in the play offs at the start of the evening and may still be at the end of it. If the teams below are so superior, why are they below us despite our indifferent form? I suspect we are all similar and there will be plenty more twists and turns to come.

When things go well we are good enough to compete against any team in this division, even LJ has alluded to this. What worries me is that when things are going poorly against sides who can maintain a physical game, we struggle and look like bottom feeders. 

We seem to make a lot more critical mistakes which impact the games since the turn of the year.

The teams below us look to have rallied and are picking up consistent results where we have one freak one against one piss poor side.

I blame Frankie there, what on earth is he doing coming out for that??

Worst case Mags hits it straight to Browne and he has a shot on goal from distance but with the keeper there, he’s never going to score.

Frustrating all round. 

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He must have called for it. If mags lets it run , he picks it up. Mags got a real tendency to switch off/ get lazy on the ball . He’s cost us a few times this season. 

I've watched it 5 times and Mags could not let it run, I reckon it didn't have the speed to get back to FF quickly enough.  Mags was right to attempt to clear and had a good position for a volley clearance, he just mistimed his kick - honest (also a bit crap) mistake to make.

FF should never have come for it and stayed in his box and he would have stopped the guy from hitting the chip.

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Worst case Mags hits it straight to Browne and he has a shot on goal from distance but with the keeper there, he’s never going to score.

Frustrating all round. 

A Frankie rush of blood - same vs Wolves. 

Second half COYRRRRRSSSSSSS

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Weird......Maggers seems to have a keeper's philosophy, one mistake and it costs a goal......been like that for a while !

Strikes me that Magnússon is a cult hero more than an actual hero. Good on Twitter,  unusual nationality, came from Juventus, good throw, got his own song. Take all that away and I'm not sure what you're left with. I suspect we would be less tolerant of an unremarkable journeyman English player with no social media account making the same number of mistakes.

I like Magnússon and I wish him well - which sort of proves my point I think.

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

******* hell this is relatively balanced compared to the facebook page. Meltdown.

In all fairness there is not much in the game bar Mags/Fielding error. Preston are the better side, passing finding space, closing us down - but we have still had a couple of half chances. Just disappointing to see because we know what the side can do.

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He must have called for it. If mags lets it run , he picks it up. Mags got a real tendency to switch off/ get lazy on the ball . He’s cost us a few times this season. 

I saw it as Mags went to play it but at lasr moment booted it as was drummed into him and it was charged down and over a rushing out Frankie. Just let Mags make his own decisions.

View from the Preston boards which is as good a summary as any as to why we might miss this up this year on the top six.

They're definitely a good team Bristol got a tricky midfield and excellent movement but i see some weaknesses in their defense we can cause them massive issues, their defense is isolated.”

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Frustrating all round. 

Terrible keeping from Frankie.  From his position he should have left it for Mags.

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’m not disagreeing per se but we’re clearly not going to be signing 40-50k a week players any time soon. Fulham a massive draw location wise for players and paying big wages. We’re not there yet (bear in mind just last week we were allegedly protesting about ticket prices going up!)

Fulham would probably be paying £25-30k of that. It’s only a 5 month loan so personally don’t think location would have a huge baring on things. 

I’d imagine Diony isn’t far off £10-12k a week. He hasn’t impacted a single game he’s touched. Mitrovic has single handidly taken games and won them for Fulham. 

As I said before, that’s the difference. 

Wages of Diony & Woodrow & you’re probably close to what Fulham are paying for him. 

Really grates me when people say “we don’t have the money” to do X, Y, & Z. Our owner is a multi billionaire ffs. We’re Bristol City as a top 7 championship team not Burton Albion. 

6 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

When things go well we are good enough to compete against any team in this division, even LJ has alluded to this. What worries me is that when things are going poorly against sides who can maintain a physical game, we struggle and look like bottom feeders. 

We seem to make a lot more critical mistakes which impact the games since the turn of the year.

The teams below us look to have rallied and are picking up consistent results where we have one freak one against one piss poor side.

Are they really picking up consistent results? I think that's a myth.

Boro / Sheffield U - 3 wins in last 6

Preston / Brentford - 2 wins in last 6

I wouldn't say they've "rallied". None of them are setting the world alight and neither are we.

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Fulham would probably be paying £25-30k of that. It’s only a 5 month loan so personally don’t think location would have a huge baring on things. 

I’d imagine Diony isn’t far off £10-12k a week. He hasn’t impacted a single game he’s touched. Mitrovic has single handidly taken games and won them for Fulham. 

As I said before, that’s the difference. 

Wages of Diony & Woodrow & you’re probably close to what Fulham are paying for him. 

Really grates me when people say “we don’t have the money” to do X, Y, & Z. Our owner is a multi billionaire ffs. We’re Bristol City as a top 7 championship team not Burton Albion. 

Doesn't help when having to comply with FFP, we're operating on a bottom half budget so more annoying is fans who say 'our owner is a multi billionaire ffs' expecting us to spend big.

Archived