IGNORED

Spineless, gutless & pathetic..!

Bar BS3

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

You are right that this place is dire after losses but I can’t do this whole we are in the playoffs, great cup run and now 1 point off playoffs thing anymore. It just isn’t good enough. What has happened? We have had plenty of time to rest now. The easier fixtures are here. How does LJ keep having the atrocious runs season after season? 

No. We have had a stellar season on the whole but at the moment it feels like when we played Derby County last season. We were out of sorts but somehow go in 3-0 at HT at Derby. Then low and behold it somehow finish 3-3. That is our season at the moment. Going up 3-0 at the halfway point and somehow letting all of that good work slip. Acceptable is 3-1 or 3-2(falling out of top 2 or sitting 4-5 points above 7th). We haven’t done that though. We must have had a 9-10 point cushion in the playoffs and in playoff form that should have been just about enough to see us in playoffs. As it is we have reverted to last seasons form and fallen out. 

The players aren’t bad and LJ isn’t bad but this run just isn’t good enough. It is ok for people to be upset with that and critical with some performances. Why has Magnússon continued to play when he has shown that he is usually going to make a big mistake? Why is LJ now taking 70-75 minutes to make subs? Why are we now a red card waiting to happen? Where has Paterson’s form gone? We have lacked some serious composure these last few months and that is the disappointment. After the cup showing and many professional performances in the league, how have we hit this low? This isn’t ok and they need to have a serious team meeting and iron out some issues. 

Fella , this is my slight concern. Whilst I accept all clubs go through good / bad spells , Johnson’s runs appear to be for a longer spell. Whilst I appreciate we’ve had injuries and these should be taken into consideration.

Your other point about us throwing qqat away healthly leads have continued into this season, and for me personally happen in Rio regular an occurrence. 

We have made progress this season , that can not be denied, but for me if Johnson is to deliver on the potential many believe he has as a manager, the above ness to not be characteristics of his teams 

We have gone from 2nd in the league going into last game of Dec to falling out of the play offs. That simply is not good enough. Our performances and results since Wolves have not been good. We had a chance to support the group in Jan. We blew it massively. You cannot blame people for being unhappy. Best chance we will ever have to go up. 

Top Post fella. No-one should feel it's brave or risky to be positive and support our club. Get the feeling the people who dont attend have already got their stories lined up for every game a point is dropped. PNE disappointing (like 2nd half v Sunderland and Leeds) but last night our 2nd half was good and we now start the all-important 'Final Run of 10'

1 hour ago, lancashirerobin said:

In all fairness I don’t think we could afford the amount of money they would want for Pearson, Barkhuizen, Davies, Maguire etc. £10M plus. 

Not now but doubt they cost more than a mil between them at the time

9 minutes ago, daored said:

Fella , this is my slight concern. Whilst I accept all clubs go through good / bad spells , Johnson’s runs appear to be for a longer spell. Whilst I appreciate we’ve had injuries and these should be taken into consideration.

Your other point about us throwing qqat away healthly leads have continued into this season, and for me personally happen in Rio regular an occurrence. 

We have made progress this season , that can not be denied, but for me if Johnson is to deliver on the potential many believe he has as a manager, the above ness to not be characteristics of his teams 

Your last paragraph really hits home. We can tell LJ can coach players up. There is plenty of evidence but these runs are worrying. Is LJ learning fast enough to keep up? I am not suggesting he leaves. I am asking when do we ask ourselves how much longer? How much longer do we give LJ to grow as a manager when his growth is not as rapid as the players? Over these last 10 games or so I have seen a lot of similarities to last season. Chopping and changing, wrong timed or wrong subs, making 3-4 changes to accomodate a player when 1 would do and reacting to games rather than being proactive and changing them himself. 

I love LJ and the job he has done so far but these runs need to stop happening. He needs to find a way to rally players when it gets a bit tough. He needs to remember last season after Preston when he said I will pick a team I trust. He learns from mistakes then I feel like he becomes overconfident and thinks he is clever and winds up making the same mistakes again. Always keep it simple and we will be fine. He has gotten away from that lately and is much to do with our poor runs as injuries, cup runs and transfer windows. 

59 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Your last paragraph really hits home. We can tell LJ can coach players up. There is plenty of evidence but these runs are worrying. Is LJ learning fast enough to keep up? I am not suggesting he leaves. I am asking when do we ask ourselves how much longer? How much longer do we give LJ to grow as a manager when his growth is not as rapid as the players? Over these last 10 games or so I have seen a lot of similarities to last season. Chopping and changing, wrong timed or wrong subs, making 3-4 changes to accomodate a player when 1 would do and reacting to games rather than being proactive and changing them himself. 

I love LJ and the job he has done so far but these runs need to stop happening. He needs to find a way to rally players when it gets a bit tough. He needs to remember last season after Preston when he said I will pick a team I trust. He learns from mistakes then I feel like he becomes overconfident and thinks he is clever and winds up making the same mistakes again. Always keep it simple and we will be fine. He has gotten away from that lately and is much to do with our poor runs as injuries, cup runs and transfer windows. 

Whilst I agree with the basis of what you are saying - how much of the bad run is actually down to LJ, his tactics & game plan..? Some results have been, certainly, but the majority have been down to mistakes & a bit of bad luck. 

For instance (and this is only highlighting very few of the very long list that could be presented) LJ put out a plan last night that saw have more possession and the same number of shots on target as Preston. He most certainly didn’t tell Mags, Frankie & Korey to not defend properly. 

Against Sunderland he didn’t tell Brownhill to rebound the ball into our goal or tell Pack to equalise for them, with a finish that Messi could do it he tried it 100 times! 

LJ is undoubtedly still learning, and that’s fine. The 2 bad runs have certainly been subject to some very bad luck and some inept individual errors. 

There are some, but not too many games where the blame can be laid solely at LJ’s door, imo. 

29 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Whilst I agree with the basis of what you are saying - how much of the bad run is actually down to LJ, his tactics & game plan..? Some results have been, certainly, but the majority have been down to mistakes & a bit of bad luck. 

For instance (and this is only highlighting very few of the very long list that could be presented) LJ put out a plan last night that saw have more possession and the same number of shots on target as Preston. He most certainly didn’t tell Mags, Frankie & Korey to not defend properly. 

Against Sunderland he didn’t tell Brownhill to rebound the ball into our goal or tell Pack to equalise for them, with a finish that Messi could do it he tried it 100 times! 

LJ is undoubtedly still learning, and that’s fine. The 2 bad runs have certainly been subject to some very bad luck and some inept individual errors. 

There are some, but not too many games where the blame can be laid solely at LJ’s door, imo. 

Think it is easier if you take last night as a sample to say was just bad mistakes by players. Even then though you could argue it took LJ too long to make a change. Or that why not leave a defender back(our set piece)with Korey at 1-1 all to make sure come away with a point at least? 

Think he has made multiple mistakes over this run and for me they tend to be the same ones. Sunderland up 3 at HT and went for goal difference. Leeds up two at HT and didn’t tighten us up and make subs to hit them on the break. Cardiff we played poorly and didn’t make changes soon enough. Again, these are things he was doing well during our good run in and then he tried to be too clever(leave us open in the hope of more goals). 

Yes there have been too many individual mistakes from players starting with FF against Wolves but that has to come back to the manager too. Why have we lost our calm? Think it comes down to trust and think a bi has been lost in this run. We can see it so I am sure players can. Tbf think he has started going more tried and trusted again these past couple games with a more solid group so perhaps last night was a one off and Saturday the same team goes out and does the job. I certainly hope so just hope LJ keeps it simple again. 

After the previous two seasons of struggle at the start of this present campaign virtually everyone would've been happy with a mid-table position at the end of this season and many on here voiced such a hope before a ball was kicked.

Rarely do teams just stay mid-table all season. Mid-table teams usually flirt with relegation or promotion at some stage. I would rather the latter even though it generates hope and then disappointment. Furthermore, we are still handily placed for a play off place at the end of the season. But if we finish a bit below, or even mid table we would've achieved what most on here would have been happy with pre season plus a cup semi final and a lot of kudos.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think it is easier if you take last night as a sample to say was just bad mistakes by players. Even then though you could argue it took LJ too long to make a change. Or that why not leave a defender back(our set piece)with Korey at 1-1 all to make sure come away with a point at least? 

Think he has made multiple mistakes over this run and for me they tend to be the same ones. Sunderland up 3 at HT and went for goal difference. Leeds up two at HT and didn’t tighten us up and make subs to hit them on the break. Cardiff we played poorly and didn’t make changes soon enough. Again, these are things he was doing well during our good run in and then he tried to be too clever(leave us open in the hope of more goals). 

Yes there have been too many individual mistakes from players starting with FF against Wolves but that has to come back to the manager too. Why have we lost our calm? Think it comes down to trust and think a bi has been lost in this run. We can see it so I am sure players can. Tbf think he has started going more tried and trusted again these past couple games with a more solid group so perhaps last night was a one off and Saturday the same team goes out and does the job. I certainly hope so just hope LJ keeps it simple again. 

All good points, although I’m sure in some games he’d like to make changes earlier, but injuries (all season) & suspensions (more recently) have meant a below standard bench. 

I don’t think there was a proven game changer available on the bench last night. 

The sooner we have COD, Djuric & Taylor available again, the better. And not we are without Bryan, Flint & possibly Baker, along with injury/fitness doubts over Pissano & Wright. Couldn’t all have come at a worse time! 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

All good points, although I’m sure in some games he’d like to make changes earlier, but injuries (all season) & suspensions (more recently) have meant a below standard bench. 

I don’t think there was a proven game changer available on the bench last night. 

The sooner we have COD, Djuric & Taylor available again, the better. And not we are without Bryan, Flint & possibly Baker, along with injury/fitness doubts over Pissano & Wright. Couldn’t all have come at a worse time! 

Idk I have felt for awhile LJ doesn’t utilise the squad enough. Vyner did not play enough. Eliasson has looked good enough in his cameos to earn a few starts across the season. Walsh looks a good player already and hopefully used a bit more. Even Engvall has looked energetic and useful in his few appearances but hasn’t got much opportunity. Just feel LJ uses players outside the first 13-14 sparingly and has cost us when we did need them. No doubt we have had a horrid time with injuries but I am sure there are 1-2 players on that bench that could have changed the game or even started it and had an impact if they were just given a few more chances. We don’t have a massive squad but all we did was complain about our bad luck with injuries but never tried to grow the squad by giving chances. 

Again, I like LJ just feel like he has loads more to learn before we take the next step.  Like the players have grown faster than he has and as a club we aren’t quite there because of that. Next season is a big one imo. No reason we can’t build on this season and take it a step further next year. Most teams have had a bad 4-6 game stretch but their managers rallied them which LJ finds hard. He has got to find a way. 

14 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Yes, very very sure. 2 wins, 3 draws, 6 defeats since the Wolves game. Replicated over a season, thats definitely relegation form, no? People have a right to feel let down and frustrated after all the promise shown.

You have to look beyond just the results though. You have to look at the performances as well as they are massively improved on last year even if recent matches where results haven't matched some of the football we've played in those games. 

Yes, the recent results haven't been as great as the first half of the season but every game in this division is tough and we aren't in a position like Wolves where we could say we should be winning every game.

One thing I think we can say this season is that we have been in with a chance of winning every game. Even the 5-0 drubbing by Villa could have gone differently if we had scored during the positive start we had to that match

14 hours ago, headhunter said:

The average age of our side is 26.7 years [not my number but shown to me by someone at the weekend] so let's dispel this young team myth

The majority of our squad (if not all of them) has never been near the top of the Championship (or any equivalent League) before. While they may not be young in years, they are young in experience of being at the sharp end of "the toughest League in the world to get out of". Whatever the outcome of this season, the experience they will have gained will serve them well in the  future. 

I see considerable similarities between the City and Brighton & HA in many areas, and missing out on promotion in 2015-2016 didn't do Brighton & HA any harm did it now ?

6 hours ago, tinman85 said:

We have gone from 2nd in the league going into last game of Dec to falling out of the play offs. That simply is not good enough. Our performances and results since Wolves have not been good. We had a chance to support the group in Jan. We blew it massively. You cannot blame people for being unhappy. Best chance we will ever have to go up. 

Big statement that...

What's this weeks lottery numbers?

14 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Look, we are going round in circles here a bit aren't we? 9 points from 10 games is relegation form. There really are no two ways about it. 

I am taking a snapshot of the worst part of our season, because we happen to be right in the middle of it, hence it currently applies.

I think we can both agree that recent form has been awful, but overall we should be satisfied with the progress made this season and the direction the club is heading in.

If that "January Window" is an example of 'moving forwards,then I'm "Mad as Hell".........................

1 hour ago, HanwellRed said:

The majority of our squad (if not all of them) has never been near the top of the Championship (or any equivalent League) before. While they may not be young in years, they are young in experience of being at the sharp end of "the toughest League in the world to get out of". Whatever the outcome of this season, the experience they will have gained will serve them well in the  future. 

I see considerable similarities between the City and Brighton & HA in many areas, and missing out on promotion in 2015-2016 didn't do Brighton & HA any harm did it now ?

That is counting GON and Hegeler though. Our core players are 26 and under and that is a young squad especially with your point about experience in the league. We have a good mix of young players with potential like COD and Brownhill. Plus players in their mid 20s hitting their prime like Bryan, Smith, Baker, Pack and Wright. Keep most of this squad together and it still only up to go. 

16 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Not the team. Half the people on here every time we lose a match!!

We are 1 (one) point of 6th place! Anyone would think we were several points adrift at the bottom of the league! 

We may not win another game all season. We may pick up the results needed to finish 6th, maybe even 5th. Either way it’s been a season over massive improvement. 

We certainly need to strengthen some areas and improve the quality of our squad depth in the summer, but we are heading in the right direction on and off the pitch. 

Too many on here act like spoilt little brats, when we can’t keep up significant over achievement, rather than look on things for what they are and appreciate the progress made. 

Maybe we are a little bit weak mentally. So..? That seems natural with a young, developing team. 

However it finishes, this will be a season of some great football, great memories and real progress. 

If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen..! Although I’m fully aware that most of the worst culprits on here probably very rarely actually venture to watch & support us! 

CTID!

Last night was really bad on here, when we wen't one  down, I am as just as gutted but I remember where we were last season and that puts a different slant on things, I appreciate we are on a poor run, but with 10 matches and 30 points to play for there is still a chance. Actually I am not too worried about the play offs, truly hate the things, and for good reason, besides we are not a Premier League club just yet, the poor loan signings did not improve the squad, but made it a lot poorer. We need to kick on next season, however we do need to improve the squad and while we are at it the moaning Mildred's on here..let's look at the positives. :yes:  

20 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Not the team. Half the people on here every time we lose a match!!

We are 1 (one) point of 6th place! Anyone would think we were several points adrift at the bottom of the league! 

We may not win another game all season. We may pick up the results needed to finish 6th, maybe even 5th. Either way it’s been a season over massive improvement. 

We certainly need to strengthen some areas and improve the quality of our squad depth in the summer, but we are heading in the right direction on and off the pitch. 

Too many on here act like spoilt little brats, when we can’t keep up significant over achievement, rather than look on things for what they are and appreciate the progress made. 

Maybe we are a little bit weak mentally. So..? That seems natural with a young, developing team. 

However it finishes, this will be a season of some great football, great memories and real progress. 

If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen..! Although I’m fully aware that most of the worst culprits on here probably very rarely actually venture to watch & support us! 

CTID!

Just gave the 90th like to that post! Speaks volumes.

Agree with a fair bit of that post by the OP, but not all of it.

We have had a major improvement, we have progressed well and that Cup run will live very long in the memory, some great nights in that! We can also be happy that our squad, coaching staff and club generally are progressing and surely learning from this season.

Now for the realism, perhaps pessimism.

This run IMO, has been caused by predominantly a mix of injuries, individual errors and bad luck... but also some bad decisions by LJ- who incidentally is still well in credit this year IMO.

Example A) Sunderland at home. Why bring on Diony at HT? Why change our tactics...vs a team fighting for their lives. That set the wrong tone IMO...I actually had a bad feeling at Half Time, a small one that nagged away a bit, that it was too easy in the first half and that it spelt danger.

Example B) A pragmatic step v a side well suited to playing on the road v the better sides may have been to have played for the draw a bit more readily. Indeed if they pushed higher, spaces may have opened for us to get a late winner. Mind you, we hit the post and could/should have had a penalty so both played a part!

Example C) Again, similar to B in some ways. A more pragmatic approach could probably have secured the draw...their goal was helped by us pushing higher. Maybe again, Bolton push higher on the break... space opens up for us to get a late winner. Then agaln, could/should have had a pen at 0-0 perhaps!

What makes those 3 all the more disappointing... Is how good our game management v QPR was. Impeccable! In a tough situation, no win in a month and down to 10...we not only scored, added a 2nd but kept it at 2-0. Yet, in the 3 examples I listed...we wasted a minimum of 4 points, from positions which were ostensibly more promising. LJ's decision making played its part in these IMO.

Archived