IGNORED

Why was Cunningham not sent off...?

spudski

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Because you can't raise your hands to a players face...whatever the intent.

The rule is their for a reason...not just to stop violent reactions or conduct, but to stop players reacting when touched and conning the ref.

it wasn't violent or aggressive unlike what Flint did. Ruffling someone's hair is a non event.

I don’t really know what Cunningham gained from the sending off, so late in the game. Yes we were close to getting back to a draw but why take the chance of getting into trouble yourself. And this was a former team mate who he goes on holiday with at least once a year, every year since leaving, so a mate too.

It must be really important to him, and Preston, that we are lessened as rivals.  Flint is important to us no doubt about it and missing him will be a blow. Of course I agree that Flint should not have retaliated but he does seem to take the law into his own hands (literally) at times, and has got away with shoving players several times, blatantly into the goal net at least once recently. Unfortunately he got little protection from the Ref last night and frustration boiled over.

Cunningham knew how to push his buttons, but at great risk to himself. He has only just got back from injury, and is captain of a promotion challenging team. Suppose that ‘elbow’ had connected, he could have faced more weeks out than Flint. Madness on both parts.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

it wasn't violent or aggressive unlike what Flint did. Ruffling someone's hair is a non event.

Until someone cons the ref into thinking it was violent. You see a hand go to a players face, then go down...what do you do as a ref?

Sometimes a tosser has to get a little slap. I'm not going to join the blame Flinty thing, for a physical defender he's had very few reds, and amazingly few yellow cards so let's give him this one and he can have a little break. We'll see how good the squad is, and if isn't strong enough to get in the play-offs then we will know what we have to do for next season.

35 minutes ago, Super said:

It is an non event, but why do it? In context it’s not a friendly thing to do in a match between opposing players is it, it’s meant as an insult/pisstake and was taken as such. He was looking for the reaction and got it. It could be something as stupid as Flint not liking his hair touched and Greg his mate knowing this. Horrible to see on both parts, not Flinty standing up for himself but getting so easily suckered in to Cunningham’s mindgames.

37 minutes ago, Super said:

So is being pushed out of the way, unless you decide to go down and make an absolute meal of it. Is Cunningham hurt? Injured? Broken nose?

It's people seeing only the video at home that are shrieking deliberate elbow, because that's what they've been told to expect. It really wasn't.

If it was unprovoked, Cunningham's reaction would be a little over the top, but seen as an entitled deception, like acceptable modern diving, or like Wright vs Kamara.

As Cunningham did provoke it, his subsequent reaction was utterly spineless because he's created the situation and then made the most of it to get a player sent off.

As he's dishing it out, why not accept that Flint is also entitled to push you away, and either get into a tear up if you really want to carry on, or call it quits and move on.

Cunningham took the absolute cowards way out. Start things then hide so one person gets all the blame. Forget the rules of football, everyone knows people like that.

If you're honestly struggling to see what Cunningham has done wrong you're either looking for a rise in this thread, or you're tolerant of the very worst gamesmanship.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Problem with Flint he has been losing the plot more and more in recent games, and clearly getting more and more frustrated on the pitch

Any other stage of a game he wouldn't have reacted so badly, he's let himself and the fans down - time to move on 

I understand his frustration though, not excusing his actions but if anyone on that pitch actually gives a s*** it's Flint. it must be soul destroying to go out and give your all only to feel let down by some of your teammates. Say what you want about Flint but the guy works his a** off and is very passionate. If we had a team all with the passion and work rate of Flint and Bobby Reid I honestly think the last couple of months would look a lot less negative.

19 minutes ago, Olé said:

So is being pushed out of the way, unless you decide to go down and make an absolute meal of it. Is Cunningham hurt? Injured? Broken nose?

It's people seeing only the video at home that are shrieking deliberate elbow, because that's what they've been told to expect. It really wasn't.

If it was unprovoked, Cunningham's reaction would be a little over the top, but seen as an entitled deception, like acceptable modern diving, or like Wright vs Kamara.

As Cunningham did provoke it, his subsequent reaction was utterly spineless because he's created the situation and then made the most of it to get a player sent off.

As he's dishing it out, why not accept that Flint is also entitled to push you away, and either get into a tear up if you really want to carry on, or call it quits and move on.

Cunningham took the absolute cowards way out. Start things then hide so one person gets all the blame. Forget the rules of football, everyone knows people like that.

If you're honestly struggling to see what Cunningham has done wrong you're either looking for a rise in this thread, or you're tolerant of the very worst gamesmanship.

All i am saying is a hair ruffle didnt deserve such a violent response. Like bailey wright did at fulham cunningham maybe made the most of it. It happens get over it.

25 minutes ago, Olé said:

Exactly. Cunningham should be cited for simulation and receive a retrospective ban. His actions weren't justifiable as Flint's hand missed Cunningham's head. However, Flint's intent justfies his exit and 3 match ban. No chance of overturning on appeal, but City should still report Cunningham.

Yes it was a red... but I think Flint was a bit unlucky in that Cunningham ruffled his hair from behind and Flint pushed him away without looking - not a deliberate elbow. I'm pretty sure it was deliberate provocation on Cunningham's part, coming at a key moment near the end of the game when Flint was frustrated at a chance going begging. Cunningham also went down like he had been shot. He hasn't really covered himself in glory in this and isn't the innocent victim you might expect when a player is sent off for violent conduct.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Flint isn't looking at him, and I don't think he knew who had done it, or indeed maybe even what had happened.  Imagine something touches your head from behind.  Your first (automatic) reaction is probably to put up a hand and brush it off, which is exactly what Flint does.   I can see no violent intent or any intention to cause any harm whatsoever.  Cunningham's reaction is at least as bad if not worse than the reaction of Bailey Wright which led to Bailey getting a two match ban.  Actually it's worse because at least Bailey had been the victim of a heavy tackle.  Gamesmanship at its worst.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Seemed like he did it as an 'don't worry mate sorry you didn't get your penalty and you're gonna lose this one' hair ruffle which in the heat of the moment I can see why Flint was furious. Cunningham was just winding him up, can't see any retrospective action. 

Funny because I reckon if it was another one of their players we'd be fuming at them but probably get over it after a while but because it was cunningham it makes it a lot worse, because, for a player who I though that was decent for us when called upon, I have lost all respect for him.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

This a gazillion times.

Regardless of the Flint red card, Greg went down faster than a tonne weight and rolled around of the floor, holding his face. When Flint leaves the pitch, up he gets like magic.

Blatant simulation. If Bailey Wright's simulation was unanimous with the panel, so should this.

Who invented this idea that "raising your hand = red card"? I know it is widely accepted, but why? 

If its a punch, or a clear and deliberate elbow, causing obvious damage, OK red card.

BUT how can a push, or a brush off be "violent conduct". How can Flint's action be deemed equally serious as an over-the-top leg breaking foul? What he did wouldn't even be noticed in rugby or ice hockey. We aren't playing netball. Lets get some perspective.

52 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

Who invented this idea that "raising your hand = red card"? I know it is widely accepted, but why? 

If its a punch, or a clear and deliberate elbow, causing obvious damage, OK red card.

BUT how can a push, or a brush off be "violent conduct". How can Flint's action be deemed equally serious as an over-the-top leg breaking foul? What he did wouldn't even be noticed in rugby or ice hockey. We aren't playing netball. Lets get some perspective.

Exactly, there was more pushing and shoving, shirt grabbing and jostling position in the box seconds before and that’s ok. Cunningham could have grabbed hold of Flint and covered him with kisses and that would have been ok too. Flint brushes off attention he didn’t want in frustration and gets 3 match ban, he might as well have decked the scrawny cheat.*

*Im not actually encouraging violence here but you get the picture. And I can see why the Ref thought he saw Cunningham hit in the face, because Cunningham made bloody well sure he did so.

At the end of the match when Korey lost it with a Greg it was Preston players (Daniel Johnson & another) who got Korey out of the situation before he too did something he might regret. I think they realised Cunningham had cheated and maybe as fellow professionals didn’t like it either.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Because you can't raise your hands to a players face...whatever the intent.

The rule is their for a reason...not just to stop violent reactions or conduct, but to stop players reacting when touched and conning the ref.

So when Flint did exactly the same against Derrick Williams last season that should have been a red? 

Come on... The only difference is Williams didn't lash out at Flint. 

6 hours ago, Super said:

It was his hair, hardly a big deal is it?

I think we can safely say it was more to do with WHO was doing the ruffling than anything else. In this case a sly little piece of c rap that has clearly had a massive chip on his shoulder since leaving BCFC.

No problem GC, what goes around comes around in football.

Aden did the wrong thing, but anyone on here ripping him to shreds last night was way off the mark.

It happens.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

I think we can safely say it was more to do with WHO was doing the ruffling than anything else. In this case a sly little piece of c rap that has clearly had a massive chip on his shoulder since leaving BCFC.

No problem GC, what goes around comes around in football.

Aden did the wrong thing, but anyone on here ripping him to shreds last night was way off the mark.

It happens.

Yep. Shouldn't have reacted and can't complain at being sent off, but considering it's his first disciplinary blemish in 5 years here the rush to conemn him as a liability is rather sad.

I know that a lot on here have said that Greg seemed the jovial Irishman in his time here, but maybe we had our rise tinted specs on because he was our player?

Since he’s left he’s posted mischievous stuff on twitter that he went to PNE on a free transfer, and then showed no respect when celebrating his goal.  On other games I’ve seen on the telly I’ve seen him be quite cynical, going slightly over the top on tackles.  Maybe it’s the Preston way, but I’ve changed my opinion if him.

Any thoughts on whether he’s pulled Flint’s hair, or did it a more rough way than it appeared?

Whatever happened, Flint retaliated, that was wrong.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know that a lot on here have said that Greg seemed the jovial Irishman in his time here, but maybe we had our rise tinted specs on because he was our player?

Since he’s left he’s posted mischievous stuff on twitter that he went to PNE on a free transfer, and then showed no respect when celebrating his goal.  On other games I’ve seen on the telly I’ve seen him be quite cynical, going slightly over the top on tackles.  Maybe it’s the Preston way, but I’ve changed my opinion if him.

Any thoughts on whether he’s pulled Flint’s hair, or did it a more rough way than it appeared?

Whatever happened, Flint retaliated, that was wrong.

When shouldnt he celebeate scoring against us? After we decided he wasnt good enough.

Archived