IGNORED

Goalkeepers

I was watching football focus on Saturday and the pundits highlighted Ederson the Man City keeper, I am not trying in anyway to make a comparison with ours, just making a point, what they highlighted was that in a week where quite a few keepers had come for balls and not got anywhere near and that had led to goals, it also highlighted the fact that on many occasions the problem had been the keepers own defenders getting in the way and went on to show Ederson having made the decision to come for a ball being prepared to take out his defenders if that's what it took to make the clearance.

He is one of very few modern day keepers who actually command their 18 yard box totally and even several times taking out defenders to reach a ball outside of his area, De Gea is an exceptional keeper but he does not command the area in the same way, Jordan Pickford was one of the keepers highlighted as probably being too nice to his defenders in such circumstances.

It was used to be that most keepers commanded their areas and keepers would take out their own player if necessary, it seems to be a dying art.

I wouldn't mind betting given the first goal we conceded last night, I would have expected Ederson to have come out and taken control of the situation and 'shifted' one of his own if necessary, in fact they showed one such similar clip.

Also early on in last nights game a cross was fizzed in from Preston's right side at head height virtually dissecting the 6 yard box and Fielding stayed on his line, it was obvious that the striker was not going to get their, but there was still the danger of an attacker cutting in from the left, I find it strange that some keepers cannot command their 6 yard box let alone the 18 yard box, as I said a dying art.

39 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I was watching football focus on Saturday and the pundits highlighted Ederson the Man City keeper, I am not trying in anyway to make a comparison with ours, just making a point, what they highlighted was that in a week where quite a few keepers had come for balls and not got anywhere near and that had led to goals, it also highlighted the fact that on many occasions the problem had been the keepers own defenders getting in the way and went on to show Ederson having made the decision to come for a ball being prepared to take out his defenders if that's what it took to make the clearance.

He is one of very few modern day keepers who actually command their 18 yard box totally and even several times taking out defenders to reach a ball outside of his area, De Gea is an exceptional keeper but he does not command the area in the same way, Jordan Pickford was one of the keepers highlighted as probably being too nice to his defenders in such circumstances.

It was used to be that most keepers commanded their areas and keepers would take out their own player if necessary, it seems to be a dying art.

I wouldn't mind betting given the first goal we conceded last night, I would have expected Ederson to have come out and taken control of the situation and 'shifted' one of his own if necessary, in fact they showed one such similar clip.

Also early on in last nights game a cross was fizzed in from Preston's right side at head height virtually dissecting the 6 yard box and Fielding stayed on his line, it was obvious that the striker was not going to get their, but there was still the danger of an attacker cutting in from the left, I find it strange that some keepers cannot command their 6 yard box let alone the 18 yard box, as I said a dying art.

Commanding the area may not be a primary concern for some teams given their style of play.

At its peak Keepers will be some of great shop stoppers, commanding in the box, excellent at distribution, have an ability  to control the space outside of the box to sweep/join in, be confident and great communicators, and be around the height of six feet three. Very few are all.

Perhaps it is a case of goal keeping became a progressive changing art away from catching crosses, stop the shot and kick it seventy yards down the park ...  

2 hours ago, Super said:

Even the great save from the header second half was a ball he should have come for. Bloke headed that on the 6 yard line.

Maybe, but if he saves it (as he did) the decision to stay put is justified.

In fairness, i've only seen it once, but it did look like a ball that was put into a bit of an uncertain area. For me, Frankie's not really been a problem this season.

All about opinions

15 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

In fairness, i've only seen it once, but it did look like a ball that was put into a bit of an uncertain area. For me, Frankie's not really been a problem this season.

All about opinions

Absolutely mate. It was a great ball in.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

All about opinions

Agree , it's all opinions but.
There have been many occasions where it's looked like he had a bungee rope tide to a post, it make him a liability when he actually does come out, Wolves and last night for two examples. If he called for the ball last night, which is not 100% certain you can still understand Mags trying to put his foot through it, he should have called so loud it could not be mistaken or missed . His size is a problem , means he can't dominate his area, rarely catches a cross. No doubt he's a good shot stopper but add his distribution to the mix and I think if we're serious about a challenge next year we need a keeper.The flick header save was decent, but why is he not coming for that on the 6 yard line yet trying to claim a ball on the edge of his 18 yard box for the first goal? 
It has been, and still is a weak spot, I thought we'd solved it with ROD but he imploded. One for the next window I think.

In the first pic, if Mags leaves it I really don't see FF getting there before the striker.
The 2nd one , the ball travels a distance and he would have a clear run to punch , comes from a great hight and he has a good view.

Just my opinion though.

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 18.34.15.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 18.32.16.png

I’ve only seen the 1st goal once.  I’m not going to blame one of them, they both contributed to the indecision that caused Mags to mishit his clearance.

Fielding has had a decent season.

Goalkeepers make mistakes.

Are there worse in our division?  Yes

Are there better?  Yes

I said on another post that with goal-scoring strikers sorted for the summer, and not needing to blow transfer budget there, GK is the place I’d spend more than you’d normally spend on a keeper.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve only seen the 1st goal once.  I’m not going to blame one of them, they both contributed to the indecision that caused Mags to mishit his clearance.

Are there better?  Yes

I said on another post that with goal-scoring strikers sorted for the summer, and not needing to blow transfer budget there, GK is the place I’d spend more than you’d normally spend on a keeper.

Agree with 90% of that.  I do think that if Mags leaves the ball to run through, Fielding’s either conceding or getting a red card. 

25 minutes ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

Agree with 90% of that.  I do think that if Mags leaves the ball to run through, Fielding’s either conceding or getting a red card. 

Yeah, you’re probably right....but decisiveness / judgement from one or the other, earlier, might’ve helped.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

There have been many occasions where it's looked like he had a bungee rope tide to a post, it make him a liability when he actually does come out, Wolves and last night for two examples. If he called for the ball last night, which is not 100% certain you can still understand Mags trying to put his foot through it, he should have called so loud it could not be mistaken or missed . His size is a problem , means he can't dominate his area, rarely catches a cross. No doubt he's a good shot stopper but add his distribution to the mix and I think if we're serious about a challenge next year we need a keeper.The flick header save was decent, but why is he not coming for that on the 6 yard line yet trying to claim a ball on the edge of his 18 yard box for the first goal? 
It has been, and still is a weak spot, I thought we'd solved it with ROD but he imploded. One for the next window I think.

In the first pic, if Mags leaves it I really don't see FF getting there before the striker.
The 2nd one , the ball travels a distance and he would have a clear run to punch , comes from a great hight and he has a good view.

Just my opinion though.

For the 1st goal Fielding was very slow to see the danger and was ambling out, that exacerbated the whole situation, but the real problem was Magnússon not putting the ball into row Z, Wright, Baker and Flint would have IMHO.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Are there better?  Yes

If Birmingham go down I would be looking at Turnbull

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Just my opinion though.

When Bristol City are playing high lines.

How often do you see Frankie Fielding outside of the box and by how far? 

If a team plays high it is a norm fur the Keeper to attempt to control the space in behind by positioning themselves well outside the box. 

15 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

If Birmingham go down I would be looking at Turnbull

Stockdale?

In the summer thought he was a massive coup for Brum, but he’s looked ordinary behind a poor defence.  Had a few howlers.

Ignore this season, and I’d say he’d be a quality keeper, even if 32.

7 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I would expect every keeper to control the box

I would expect every keeper to tell the defenders what he wants to be done in certain circumstances 

but I also know that shite happens.

if I was to say, In life I have never made a mistake then I would have the biggest nose in the the world.

If you get poked in the eye or tripped over by a giant nose 

it wasn't me

4 minutes ago, reddoh said:

I would expect every keeper to control the box

I would expect every keeper to tell the defenders what he wants to be done in certain circumstances 

but I also know that shite happens.

if I was to say, In life I have never made a mistake then I would have the biggest nose in the the world.

If you get poked in the eye or tripped over by a giant nose 

it wasn't me

Shite does indeed happen, but neither Fielding or Steele control their area in fact neither rarely come off of the line in their own 6 yard box.

I find that concept a worry of modern goalkeeping, that is opinion.

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Shite does indeed happen, but neither Fielding or Steele control their area in fact neither rarely come off of the line in their own 6 yard box.

I find that concept a worry of modern goalkeeping, that is opinion.

maybe its the way they are trained but they have one small area to cover.

defenders now have to attack and defend

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Stockdale?

In the summer thought he was a massive coup for Brum, but he’s looked ordinary behind a poor defence.  Had a few howlers.

Ignore this season, and I’d say he’d be a quality keeper, even if 32.

Yes that is the one. I get those two mixed up.

6 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Ederson is probably the reason that Man City can operate with such an average defender as Stones, leaving him to pass the ball accurately, I suppose that then begs the question does England possess such a keeper to play Stones in the team?

Ederson and Stones pass the ball superbly making them great keeper and defender and without that Man City do not operate as they do.

11 hours ago, reddoh said:

maybe its the way they are trained but they have one small area to cover.

defenders now have to attack and defend

In a style like City's the Keeper should be the first attacker. City build from the back. 70% (FA keeping course statistic) is played with the feet. Keepers have to stop shots and play. 

A more defensive point. Bristol City play high lines. Would this tactic not be even more effective with a Keeper who plays high?

Archived