Horse Racing (Merged)

30 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

What were your winners?

Summerville Boy 15/2

Coo Star Saviola 5/1

Presenting Percy 3/1

Balko Des Flos 12/1

Laurina 8/13

Also had 12 places which kept money coming back into the coffers especially on doubles and trebles.

My mate had no winners but made good profit as had so many places at 15/1 and better!

Meh. 

Wasn't that impressed with Cheltenham. Strange atmosphere with bars full of people that look like zombies drinking and gambling. Dark and dingy bars and in most you can't even take your drinks outside. 

Crap atmosphere on Friday probably because of the results no one was winning. Also not helped by 4 horses dying and seeing two people stretchered out in the grounds completely unconcious

And what is it with everyone dressing up as toffs for the day in a completely un-ironic way?

Won't be returning in a hurry!

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Meh. 

Wasn't that impressed with Cheltenham. Strange atmosphere with bars full of people that look like zombies drinking and gambling. Dark and dingy bars and in most you can't even take your drinks outside. 

Crap atmosphere on Friday probably because of the results no one was winning. Also not helped by 4 horses dying and seeing two people stretchered out in the grounds completely unconcious

And what is it with everyone dressing up as toffs for the day in a completely un-ironic way?

Sorry for hyping it up for you to have a poor experience. Where were you stood? I was in Best Mate on Thursday and the atmosphere in the bars was amazing, just an all day party. 

I’ve found tatts is more for the gambler which as you said when the day doesn’t go well the atmosphere is a bit flat

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 09:00, Kid in the Riot said:

Meh. 

I appreciate you're just a 'Kid' and not fully cognizant of the ways of the world but surely even you must have realized before you left home and supported the event with around £60 of your hard earned cash that occasionally horses die when racing. It seems a trifle churlish to criticise what is a supremely well organized event on those grounds, especially when you were privileged to watch one of the great Gold Cups of recent times.

I've been going for several years, usually Champion Hurdle day, and there are always thousands of people outside drinking from opening time and amazingly I have never seen anyone drunk let alone carried out unconscious.

As for 'dressing up as toffs' I'm afraid that just reveals your political leanings. I'm sure you would be happier prancing around in your festival gear at Glastonbury chanting 'Oh..oh..Je-re-my Cor-byn' to the riff from 'Seven nation army'. (great song, I particularly like the Alice Russell version, but unfortunately taken over by a moronic mob of chanting idiots).

Average daily attendance of 65 000 at Cheltenham and, apart from discarded betting slips in the bear pit, not a scrap of litter in sight. That is exceptional.

You will not be missed.

Oh, and by the way, if you are going to 'rubbish' one of my posts you could at least have the courtesy to reply and say what you disagree with rather than just shouting and trying to close down debate. 

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 14:58, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Sorry for hyping it up for you to have a poor experience. Where were you stood? I was in Best Mate on Thursday and the atmosphere in the bars was amazing, just an all day party. 

I’ve found tatts is more for the gambler which as you said when the day doesn’t go well the atmosphere is a bit flat

Yeah, Tatts. Sounds like Best Mate would've been more my kind of thing!

3 hours ago, marshy said:

I appreciate you're just a 'Kid' and not fully cognizant of the ways of the world but surely even you must have realized before you left home and supported the event with around £60 of your hard earned cash that occasionally horses die when racing. It seems a trifle churlish to criticise what is a supremely well organized event on those grounds, especially when you were privileged to watch one of the great Gold Cups of recent times.

I've been going for several years, usually Champion Hurdle day, and there are always thousands of people outside drinking from opening time and amazingly I have never seen anyone drunk let alone carried out unconscious.

As for 'dressing up as toffs' I'm afraid that just reveals your political leanings. I'm sure you would be happier prancing around in your festival gear at Glastonbury chanting 'Oh..oh..Je-re-my Cor-byn' to the riff from 'Seven nation army'. (great song, I particularly like the Alice Russell version, but unfortunately taken over by a moronic mob of chanting idiots).

Average daily attendance of 65 000 at Cheltenham and, apart from discarded betting slips in the bear pit, not a scrap of litter in sight. That is exceptional.

You will not be missed.

Oh, and by the way, if you are going to 'rubbish' one of my posts you could at least have the courtesy to reply and say what you disagree with rather than just shouting and trying to close down debate. 

Crikey, that's a rant and a half! I was actually a guest of a client so I didn't pay for my ticket or food and drink for that matter. Oh, and I've never been to Glastonbury so sorry to shatter all your assumptions! 

If the event is 'supremely well organised' but results in 4 horses out of around 50 racing on one day die then god help horse racing. I don't think it's an unfair observation to be a little concerned by that. 

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yeah, Tatts. Sounds like Best Mate would've been more my kind of thing!

Crikey, that's a rant and a half! I was actually a guest of a client so I didn't pay for my ticket or food and drink for that matter. Oh, and I've never been to Glastonbury so sorry to shatter all your assumptions! 

If the event is 'supremely well organised' but results in 4 horses out of around 50 racing on one day die then god help horse racing. I don't think it's an unfair observation to be a little concerned by that. 

The music was brilliant in Best Mate and its so relaxed in there no one really gives a ****! 

That was was a bit of a rant! The horses dying (not an excuse btw) was down to the  ground imo, sometimes there hoofs were going a good 1ft into the ground making it difficult to keep balance after landing. In the whole horse racing has got much safer. 

Had a fantastic Cheltenham made good profits Tuesday to Thursday whilst watching at home. Didn't do so well on Friday whilst out drinking all day with my mates.( Not sure if there is some correlation there) although the only winner I had was  Native River on Friday

My four for the opening day of Royal Ascot tomorrow.  

14:30 Benbatl 5/1

15:40 Battaash 11/4

16:20 Tip Two Win 11/2

15:05 Indigo Balance 11/1

can MODS change thread title to Horse Racing please?

Also, any horse racing fans interested in starting a whatsapp group to discuss tips, insider info, general racing?  Safe to say I am the only one I know in real life who likes the sport! 

13 hours ago, RedDave said:

My four for the opening day of Royal Ascot tomorrow.  

14:30 Benbatl 5/1

15:40 Battaash 11/4

16:20 Tip Two Win 11/2

15:05 Indigo Balance 11/1

can MODS change thread title to Horse Racing please?

Also, any horse racing fans interested in starting a whatsapp group to discuss tips, insider info, general racing?  Safe to say I am the only one I know in real life who likes the sport! 

Certainly agree with that one to beat the Yankee raider !

If anyone wants to join a whatsapp group then DM me.  Easier than finding stuff on here.  

Royal Ascot turning into a nightmare for punters.  Most races have 1/3 of the field that can feasibly win.  Going to give it a miss bar Wild Illusion tomorrow.  If that doesnt win then I am done and the bookies have done us all! 

Bring on the jump season! 

On 20/06/2018 at 23:29, RedDave said:

If anyone wants to join a whatsapp group then DM me.  Easier than finding stuff on here.  

Royal Ascot turning into a nightmare for punters.  Most races have 1/3 of the field that can feasibly win.  Going to give it a miss bar Wild Illusion tomorrow.  If that doesnt win then I am done and the bookies have done us all! 

Bring on the jump season! 

Total crap this week, like you I'm leaving well alone..........................if Harry Angel doesn't win tomorrow think I'll give up !        edit...............whoop  first winner at RA  3.40 @ 12/1

glad I changed my mind about having a punt :chant6ez:

On 22/06/2018 at 16:09, slartibartfast said:

Total crap this week, like you I'm leaving well alone..........................if Harry Angel doesn't win tomorrow think I'll give up !        edit...............whoop  first winner at RA  3.40 @ 12/1

glad I changed my mind about having a punt :chant6ez:

Going to remember not to place a single bet next year!  Well done on the 12/1 punt.

feel like its two steps forward and 1.5 steps back on the horses

• Admin

All British horse racing meetings on Thursday have been cancelled because of an outbreak of equine flu.

The decision by the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) comes after three vaccinated horses in an active yard tested positive for the disease.

Horses from the infected yard raced on Wednesday, potentially exposing a significant number of horses.

Four British meetings were scheduled for Thursday - Huntingdon, Doncaster, Ffos Las and Chelmsford.

Horses that have contracted equine flu can develop a high fever, coughing, nasal discharge and sometimes swelling of the lymph nodes. The incubation period is usually days but recovery can take weeks, or even months.

There are no known consequences for humans exposed to the disease.

"The fact that the cases have been identified in vaccinated horses presents a cause for significant concern over welfare and the potential spread of the disease and the action to cancel racing has been viewed as necessary in order to restrict, as far as possible, the risk of further spread of the disease," the BHA said in a statement.

"The BHA has worked quickly to identify which yards could have potentially been exposed today and identify the further actions required.

"The BHA is presently communicating with yards potentially exposed to ensure appropriate quarantine and biosecurity measures are put in place and horse movements restricted to avoid possible further spread of the disease.

"The full extent of potential exposure is unknown and we are working quickly to understand as much as we can to assist our decision making."

Since the start of 2019, there have been seven outbreaks of equine flu - in Essex, Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and Suffolk.

The two cases in Suffolk involved thoroughbreds - one centred on eight vaccinated two-year-old horses and the other was six unvaccinated animals.

This news, which broke late on Wednesday night, has rocked horse racing at a time when anticipation is building before next month's showpiece Cheltenham Festival meeting.

It is unclear at this stage whether other fixtures may be affected, with the 'Super Saturday' meeting at Newbury in Berkshire on 9 February - where last year's Gold Cup winner Native River is due to run - the next high-profile fixture.

• Admin

Three more cases have been confirmed at the stables of trainer Ginger McCain as British horse racing is shut down by an equine flu crisis.

One of the horses, Raise A Spark, ran at Ayr races on Wednesday and had shown no symptoms of the highly contagious virus beforehand.

That takes the total of cases to six at McCain's Cheshire stables, and a separate suspicious case elsewhere is also being investigated, the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) said.

As part of a six-day racing shutdown, all meetings have been cancelled in Britain until Wednesday at the earliest.

One of the horses diagnosed with the illness is Raise a Spark who ran at Ayr on Wednesday.

A total of 174 racing stables were in lockdown on Friday morning as testing continued.

The alarm was raised on Wednesday night when three vaccinated horses at McCain's base were found to have equine influenza.

A separate case, not yet been confirmed as a positive sample, has been identified with another trainer. No link has been established at this stage between the two stables.

The unnamed trainer, who is not thought to operate in one of the major training areas, had runners at Newcastle on Tuesday and Wolverhampton on Wednesday.

As a result, the BHA has ordered dozens of others who saddled runners at those fixtures into lockdown mode.

Tests will show whether the outbreak has spread further and guide decisions around when racing might resume.

They will also reveal whether the outbreak will have any impact on next month's showpiece Cheltenham Festival.

Equine influenza is not markedly different from human flu - infected horses suffer with coughing and runny noses and generally feel run-down.

On 28/02/2019 at 07:54, RedDave said:

Ahead of Cheltenham this guy has done his usual quality free preview:

https://issuu.com/callumconnochie/docs/cheltenham_festival_preview_2019/1?ff

Thanks, going again this year, Wednesday and Friday thanks to work! Looking forward to it, I keep stumbling on different tips though which doesn’t help. The sky bet £20 risk free bet should hopefully see me win big. Stake £20 on the Tuesday first race and worse case scenario I get it back in my bank come 15:00 on Friday afternoon

On 28/02/2019 at 20:05, slartibartfast said:

ffs

My thoughts exactly, what could go wrong with huge horses running at 35mph down Bemmy high street? 

Cant see it happening 

Archived