IGNORED

Our transfer policy is FAILING us

Londoner

1 minute ago, Londoner said:

I'm genuiney astounded that I need to 're explain myself to you. Read it slowly and carefully.

We had the opportunity to buy proven championship quality in January.

The decision makers decided against it due to, in their opinion, over inflated prices over inflated wages or both.

These decisions have cost us as displayed by our dramatic fall down the lesgue. Highlighted by new Jan signings having zero impact.

I hope you are able to understand this.

Name the names, their likely fee and likely wages?  Once you’ve done that, then factor in if Villa, Derby, Cardiff etc also wanted them, would they have come to City?

Ever considered we did the best we could in January without resorting to journeyman.  I differentiate between proven (good for us) and journeyman (bad for us).

I thought it was the kind of window i expected.  I don’t think we could’ve spent and guaranteed play-offs / top two, up against other much bigger boys.

3 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

If you do t know the answer to that question you need to have a word with yourself.

You’ve misunderstood my question. I’m not an idiot so clearly I know that a good Jan was crucial for us and we didn’t have one. 

Londoner said that he knows for a fact we had opportunities in January, and I’m taking that to mean that he knows about specific players we could have signed. I’m keen to know who these possible signings were. 

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Well firstly - how do you know what opportunities we did or didn’t take?

Secondly - if the club decided the prices and wages were over inflated, then they did the right thing not to make the deals.

Thirdly - we know the way the club are doing things financially and the vast majority of fans can see that is the way forwards for our club. If and when you can bring tens of millions of your cash to the table, you have to respect how SL spends his money.

Because I am well connected and know numerous football agents who represent both bristol city players and other championship players and management.

Over-inflated but not by 2018 standards also I know for fact that decision makers didn' want big names in the squad because he trusted the players already here. He felt they just needed a top up, he is being proven wrong.

4 minutes ago, Jacki said:

You’ve misunderstood my question. I’m not an idiot so clearly I know that a good Jan was crucial for us and we didn’t have one. 

Londoner said that he knows for a fact we had opportunities in January, and I’m taking that to mean that he knows about specific players we could have signed. I’m keen to know who these possible signings were. 

He doesn’t know though does he!!! 

See from his post he’s well connected to Agents....that’s some new friends he’s acquired recently. 

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Well firstly - how do you know what opportunities we did or didn’t take?

Secondly - if the club decided the prices and wages were over inflated, then they did the right thing not to make the deals.

Thirdly - we know the way the club are doing things financially and the vast majority of fans can see that is the way forwards for our club. If and when you can bring tens of millions of your cash to the table, you have to respect how SL spends his money.

I’m with you on this mate. I’d love to know exactly who these Championship players were that would inevitably shot us to glory. 

1 minute ago, Jacki said:

I’m with you on this mate. I’d love to know exactly who these Championship players were that would inevitably shot us to glory. 

I agree, who knows who else was available. Perhaps we should look at who else picked up who for a clue.

But either way those we did get have not affected anything positively...Have They?

2 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I dont think we had any of the above opurtunitys, this club does things their way and often the wrong way.. With so much being right with our club right now it’s even more bloody frustrating that we are still making the same school boy mistakes.. 

At least we made the play offs with GJ though, should have wrapped up 2nd with ease with some decent signings.. what’s happened to Us this year is anyone’s guess, were we really 2nd in December???

• Admin
1 minute ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Yes we are playing crap, but that doesnt mean the transfer policy is a failure either.. 

Something is failing and not bringing in some experience in Jan looks to be part of it.  That wouldn’t have been a guarantee, but even the the most optimistic rose tinted specs wearer must admit the Jan signings haven’t brought much to the party.

For what it’s worth, I think if we did somehow manage to go up, it would be a miserable season next year, as unless we had massive investment and a proven Premiership Manager, we’d just be whipping boys every week.  So it’s probably a blessing in disguise, it’s the manner of the ongoing capitulation which is disappointing and grating with many.

24 minutes ago, Londoner said:

The evidence is now clear. Millions spent on the likes of Engvall, elliason, topped of with expensive loan purchases in Woodrow diony and Kent that have had limited to no impact for us.

Not to forget liam Walsh who isn't deemed good enough to get any minutes any more.

We are told tjey are for the future.....ive seen no evidence that they are good enough.

Time to change our mindset, stop going for young risks that at this point have reaped no rewards....and go for tried and tested British based footballers who know these divisions. Cost more money? Too much in wages? Sorry but welcome to 2018.

Our transfer policy is FAILING us. Lj doesn't rate them, that much is obvious.

CHANGE IT

I see you've casually ignored the many good signings we have made in recent years;

Korey Smith

Josh Brownhill

Nathan Baker

Eros Pisano

Aden Flint

Famara Dhiedou

Callum O'Dowda

Jamie Paterson

Home grown talent; Bobby Reid, Joe Bryan thanks to academy investment.

All relatively modest signings who have improved the team. Currently we are on course for four seasons of consecutive league position improvement despite a relatively modest Championship budget and league one football as recently as 2015.

There is not a team in the land who gets every transfer right; it is a notoriously hit-and-miss business. 

Sounds like progress to me.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I see you've casually ignored the many good signings we have made in recent years;

Korey Smith

Josh Brownhill

Nathan Baker

Eros Pisano

Aden Flint

Famara Dhiedou

Callum O'Dowda

Jamie Paterson

Home grown talent; Bobby Reid, Joe Bryan thanks to academy investment.

All relatively modest signings who have improved the team. Currently we are on course for four seasons of consecutive league position improvement despite a relatively modest Championship budget and league one football as recently as 2015.

There is not a team in the land who gets every transfer right; it is a notoriously hit-and-miss business. 

Sounds like progress to me.

I suggest you re read my initial post, Its nice that you agree with me though.

33 minutes ago, Londoner said:

The evidence is now clear. Millions spent on the likes of Engvall, elliason, topped of with expensive loan purchases in Woodrow diony and Kent that have had limited to no impact for us.

Not to forget liam Walsh who isn't deemed good enough to get any minutes any more.

We are told tjey are for the future.....ive seen no evidence that they are good enough.

Time to change our mindset, stop going for young risks that at this point have reaped no rewards....and go for tried and tested British based footballers who know these divisions. Cost more money? Too much in wages? Sorry but welcome to 2018.

CHANGE IT

Why didn't you post this last Saturday?

That's why people think you have an agenda.

21 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

We're dividing again between realists and happy clappers

You constant negativity during an extended period of growth as a club and on-pitch improvement in our league position is far less realistic than the "happy clappers" more able to recognise the strides this club is steadily making.

28 minutes ago, Londoner said:

CHANGE IT

It's popular on here to rubbish the poster rather than the post on here, this being a prime example.

We had a massive opportunity to strengthen our first 11 and we failed miserably, hell I've seen nothing to suggest we've strengthened the squad.

But hey, we are building for the future ( average age 26 Tuesday wasn't it?)

But we are only 3 points off the play offs........well look back where we were in December. We've royally ****** up a great opportunity. Atleast they got the ST prices right..........

@Londoner

There are no guarantees. If your formula of Championship players was the magic bullet, Villa and Derby would be top 2.

Villa in particular given how much they spent on Championship players in 16/17. Look at Derby, full of Championship ready players... Remind us of their form after Jan 13th.

Wolves based on your formula shouldn't be top. Plus you're forgetting FFP.

24 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

We're dividing again between realists and happy clappers

So fans that believe in the long term plan are derided by you as happy clappers but those that don't believe in the plan get the generalized term of realists. How about a term for you guys as rock dwellers because you only seem to come out when things go your way. Rather be a happy clapper that a misarable pessimistic rock dweller. 

7 minutes ago, Londoner said:

You haven't read what I said. Re-read my initial posts and you will see you are confirming my views

21 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Time to change our mindset, stop going for young risks that at this point have reaped no rewards....and go for tried and tested British based footballers who know these divisions. Cost more money? Too much in wages? Sorry but welcome to 2018.

CHANGE IT

O'Dowda was a young risk who hadn't played above league 2 before we signed him.... You asked for proof of the players acclimatising to the championship, we bedded in O'Dowda and Brownhill (hadn't played above league 1 before we signed him) over the course of last season and they've excelled this season. 

We have a bottom half budget so can't be throwing around money, you say why can't we spend big, what happens if we did and we didn't get promoted? We're then stuck with players we've overpaid for comparatively to their skill level. 

As for the comments about Walsh, he's competing for a space against Smith and Pack, two guaranteed names on our teamsheet. 

2 minutes ago, Im_over_ere said:

So fans that believe in the long term plan are derided by you as happy clappers but those that don't believe in the plan get the generalized term of realists. How about a term for you guys as rock dwellers because you only seem to come out when things go your way. Rather be a happy clapper that a misarable pessimistic rock dweller. 

How those season ticket prices working for you?

I don't agree with the OP, but I have to say that January was wholly disappointing, Kent was was a totally unnecessary signing, when we have our own winger who needs game time, for me it was a vanity signing, Eliasson must be ruing the day he signed for us, his confidence must be in shreds, it is a poor way to treat a player IMO.

Walsh ok maybe one for the future but when Paterson can get a game before him and Eliasson I just don't get it.

For me January was wholly disappointing, our 3 loans this season have been shocking and the signing but non use of Eliasson is total mystery.

That added to not creating enough chances, piss poor crossing and even worse free kicks, that is where our problem lie.

41 minutes ago, Londoner said:

CHANGE IT

To what, with who's money? People are complaining about putting their hands in their pockets as it is. No one thought There was anything wrong with our policy when we were second. 

Sorry but posts like this are the worst kind of knee jerk bollocks.

38 minutes ago, Londoner said:

CHANGE IT

The transfer policy is failing us...really?

Two seasons ago adrift and about to get relegated.

Now we sit 7th in the space of 5 transfer windows.

Go figure how it's failing us, and many teams below us apparently have it right?

Honestly...this season has been the best in ages.

And we are all disappointed we aren't doing as well as when the season started, but look at all the injuries to key players, players having to play with knocks and bans...it all adds up.

3 points off a play off place with 9 games left.

We would have snapped anyones hand off at the beginning of the season for that position.

Stop being a drama queen after every game that doesn't go our way.

Some of the reactions on here, due to disappointment is childish and shows a complete lack of understanding.

The biggest one being our whole season would be so much better if we had bought a RB...wtf! really...how the hell does anyone know that.

Tbh...more problems come down JB's side and he's considered one of our best.

18 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Jonny Russell 1.3 million 12k per week give or take.

:laugh: Making a fool out of yourself here, we may have been interested but the reason he left Derby is because he wanted to go to the MLS

I don’t understand why football has to be dealt in absolutes. Even on the pitch you can win, lose or draw. There are no guarantees. The transfer policy is similar. It is there to help our odds getting the right players in at the right price with the right attitude. It guarantees nothing. A poor January transfer window? Sure but there was intent. We did bring in on paper very qualified players in Diony and Kent. Always risk in transfers. These two did not work out. Summer we signed Baker, Diedhiou and Pisano. All who have fit in nicely(injuries happen but on the pitch all have been fantastic). 

Point is with transfer you win some and you lose some. We had a great summer propelling us to top 6. Not a treat January and we have fallen off. All this talk about championship proven but I can’t really recall much of that type of business in January. Sure clubs with significantly more financial clout brought in players that could have boosted us and maybe we tried. There is a reason these players are at these clubs. Who did preston, ipswich, brentford and millwall bring in? Not much. Look what Nottingham Forest brought in. Has that helped them much? No, we had a poor January but that isn’t why we have fallen out of the top 6. It may be a symptom but it isn’t the cause. This is just another learning experience for a growing club with growing players and a growing coaching staff. Ok it sucks right now but it will still only get better after this season. We still made progress. We have a good chance at 70 points. When is the last time we did that in the championship? We are growing so let us stop the petulant moaning about what we didn’t get and appreciate the special season it has been

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t understand why football has to be dealt in absolutes. Even on the pitch you can win, lose or draw. There are no guarantees. The transfer policy is similar. It is there to help our odds getting the right players in at the right price with the right attitude. It guarantees nothing. A poor January transfer window? Sure but there was intent. We did bring in on paper very qualified players in Diony and Kent. Always risk in transfers. These two did not work out. Summer we signed Baker, Diedhiou and Pisano. All who have fit in nicely(injuries happen but on the pitch all have been fantastic). 

Point is with transfer you win some and you lose some. We had a great summer propelling us to top 6. Not a treat January and we have fallen off. All this talk about championship proven but I can’t really recall much of that type of business in January. Sure clubs with significantly more financial clout brought in players that could have boosted us and maybe we tried. There is a reason these players are at these clubs. Who did preston, ipswich, brentford and millwall bring in? Not much. Look what Nottingham Forest brought in. Has that helped them much? No, we had a poor January but that isn’t why we have fallen out of the top 6. It may be a symptom but it isn’t the cause. This is just another learning experience for a growing club with growing players and a growing coaching staff. Ok it sucks right now but it will still only get better after this season. We still made progress. We have a good chance at 70 points. When is the last time we did that in the championship? We are growing so let us stop the petulant moaning about what we didn’t get and appreciate the special season it has been

Unfortunately your considered analysis is wasted in reactionary threads like his dominated by the usual suspects.

20 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Jonny Russell 1.3 million 12k per week give or take.

The same Johnny Russell who went to Kansas City for £250k when in the last few months of his contract?  So Derby willing to sell to one of their rivals with an over-inflated price, that City refused to think was value, when Derby were willing to let him go for 1/5 of the price.

Archived