IGNORED

Just throwing this out there...

PFree

I'm not suggesting this is my opinion, and before you jump on me, I've just renewed our STs which we've had for 15 years.

Might the reason the club haven't spent heavily in January be linked to a feeling we aren't ready for the Permiership as yet, perhaps with a feeling that strengthening within the Championship for a couple more seasons whilst building a team based on youngsters we bring through feels a more attractive option and preference?

We were in a superb position coming into this year and with the addition of a few proven individuals, we looked pretty much guaranteed a play-off space if not automatic promotion?

It might be the case we are committed to the developing young players route over many seasons option but I just wonder if there is any foem of reluctance to really try and make it happen at this stage?

Before you say this is silly, just think of the clubs that have made an appearance up there too early, only to go onto have one poor season where they get hammered most weeks and then end up going backward for several seasons thereafter..?

4 minutes ago, PFree said:

I'm not suggesting this is my opinion, and before you jump on me, I've just renewed our STs which we've had for 15 years.

Might the reason the club haven't spent heavily in January be linked to a feeling we aren't ready for the Permiership as yet, perhaps with a feeling that strengthening within the Championship for a couple more seasons whilst building a team based on youngsters we bring through feels a more attractive option and preference?

We were in a superb position coming into this year and with the addition of a few proven individuals, we looked pretty much guaranteed a play-off space if not automatic promotion?

It might be the case we are committed to the developing young players route over many seasons option but I just wonder if there is any foem of reluctance to really try and make it happen at this stage?

Before you say this is silly, just think of the clubs that have made an appearance up there too early, only to go onto have one poor season where they get hammered most weeks and then end up going backward for several seasons thereafter..?

And with shitloads of dosh to boot...............can't see BS turning that down! No don't think it's by design...............just mis ****** management !

9 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

We have never been in the Prem. Many many smaller clubs than us gave their fans that experience.

We were 2nd on Boxing Day never with such a greater chance.

Only an idiot would effectively turn down promotion.

It just puzzles me why we didn't go after it, take Grabban versus Diony as a thought, not sure he wanted to come here or if we weren't prepared to pay his wages but all feels very strange.

That said, building business too quickly and on poor foundations is never a good idea, it's the only conclusion I reached went thinking about it, not that I know anything around what goes on behind the scenes, I'm just a passionate fan like the rest of us...

3 minutes ago, PFree said:

It just puzzles me why we didn't go after it, take Grabban versus Diony as a thought, not sure he wanted to come here or if we weren't prepared to pay his wages but all feels very strange.

That said, building business too quickly and on poor foundations is never a good idea, it's the only conclusion I reached went thinking about it, not that I know anything around what goes on behind the scenes, I'm just a passionate fan like the rest of us...

You've answered your own question Paul.

Read your own second paragraph........

Or the fact you often get ripped off in January overspending on players who aren't worth what you pay, so if you don't get promoted you're then stuck with those players when you look to strengthen again in the summer. If we don't make the play offs this season we're still in a fantastic position for strengthening this summer. 

45 minutes ago, hodge said:

Or the fact you often get ripped off in January overspending on players who aren't worth what you pay, so if you don't get promoted you're then stuck with those players when you look to strengthen again in the summer. If we don't make the play offs this season we're still in a fantastic position for strengthening this summer. 

Great post.

just imagine if we ended up with Graban on £30k a week on a 2 year deal. I’m sure bobby wouldn’t be too happy given his exploits this year. 

Money doesn’t grown on trees and there is the smal matter of FFP

5 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

Great post.

just imagine if we ended up with Graban on £30k a week on a 2 year deal. I’m sure bobby wouldn’t be too happy given his exploits this year. 

Who takes FFP seriously these days?

also Lansdown could sponsor himself for the entire season if he wanted to to balance the books.

2 minutes ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

Who takes FFP seriously these days?

also Lansdown could sponsor himself for the entire season if he wanted to to balance the books.

Errrrrr the FA, EFL.....

Of course and why would he want to do that?? 

Nothing like a sustainable business model

6 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

Great post.

but it does, money was made out of trees not sure what they are made of now but some probably still grow on/in trees.

The financial statements are published yearly 

Very helpful thanks

year on Year much better position given increased crowds and hospitality so yes getting there.

Thanks Steve Landsdown for the handout

Only the last 3 years

but the supporters are bearing the brunt of the cost 

“Only”

Supporting is optional buddy. Memorial stadium just a bus drive away if you fancy it. Enjoy the ride

9 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

“Only”

Supporting is optional buddy. Memorial stadium just a bus drive away if you fancy it. Enjoy the ride

Do you work for BS?  They seem to have the same opinion of what a football supporter is, i.e none.

5 minutes ago, RumRed said:

You should know better then.

I’m not the type of supporter who complains about not spending big I jan and then complains about price increases.

we all have different opinions and views. If we all had the same view it would be boring

ps never worked for BS. 

2 hours ago, PFree said:

Which clubs exactly have gone up, got hammered most weeks then gone backwards for several seasons after? Genuine question.

Most clubs I can think of have either gone up and established themselves (Swansea, Southampton, Watford, Leicester) or gone back down but broadly continued to compete at the top end of the Championship (Fulham, Boro, Wolves).

Who is this club who went up “too soon” - or is it in fact a myth? I can’t think of a convincing example.

23 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

On the flip side of the coin, if we don't get promotion this season, we could lose all our best players and next season have to start all over again from square one.

You are assuming we keep our best players and add to the squad which could be far from the case.

Very good point. Our form in the first half of the season would have alerted other clubs to the likes of Flint, Bryan, Reid, Brownhill, etc...

These are also the same squad of players responsible for the current form, so maybe that could work in our favour in a weird kind of way. 

33 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Which clubs exactly have gone up, got hammered most weeks then gone backwards for several seasons after? Genuine question.

Most clubs I can think of have either gone up and established themselves (Swansea, Southampton, Watford, Leicester) or gone back down but broadly continued to compete at the top end of the Championship (Fulham, Boro, Wolves).

Who is this club who went up “too soon” - or is it in fact a myth? I can’t think of a convincing example.

Bradford, Swindon, Oldham, And Wigan are four that immediately spring to mind, you could argue Barnsley and a lesser extent Birmingham

5 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Bradford, Swindon, Oldham, And Wigan are four that immediately spring to mind, you could argue Barnsley and a lesser extent Birmingham

All those examples were donkeys years ago except for Wigan, who spent 8 years in the PL and won an FA Cup! Birmingham have been up and down a number of times.

And were any of those clubs really promoted “too soon”, or did they simply take their opportunity for promotion but then suffered for being a tiny fish in a massive pond?

I’m not at all convinced by the notion of being promoted “too soon”.

Archived