IGNORED

what benefit have we had from the january window?

where's the joy

ok so our season died when wolves equalised in the december home game.

we haven't been right since for any length of time in a game; except possibly a really poor Shef Wed and an in your face smash up of Fulham.

we brought in 3 players in the window and none of them have improved the squad far less the team. so what was all that about?

two are technically gifted but either have little pace or too much and the bull plays with such pent up fury you cant see a second touch let alone a first touch when the ball gets played to him. maybe he's on too many red bulls before the game, but he has looked really poor since arriving.

now for the price of 3 players could we have bought one lewis grabban who would have got us goals and gotten us into the play off lottery.

we will never know and so this season will be remembered only for what might have been

52 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

this season will be remembered only for what might have been

That’s a shame you feel that way. Hopefully you’ll find some joy in it somewhere.

For instance, these are just a few of the things for which I'll remember this season:

• Celebrating with wild incredulity as we went 3-0 up in the first 30 minutes of the season.
  • The carnage & ecstasy that followed Reid’s last minute equaliser at Brentford.
  • Flint’s winner at Reading, where I was convinced we’d come away with nothing, and had to triple check it was actually our centre back with that finish.
  • Experiencing twelve different emotions simultaneously in under 4 minutes at the end of our match away at Wolves.
  • Thinking that Bryan’s goal against Crystal Palace was the icing on the cake of a tremendous match, only to be proven wrong within minutes by O’Dowda.
  • Embarking on a rather ludicrous journey up to Hull, to then question why we’d bothered, before experiencing that wonderful comeback and demolishing my knee in the process.
  • Going berserk in my local pub in London as we scored the winner against Sheffield Utd, with onlookers barely realising there was a football match happening.
  • The mad dash from London to Bristol, for THAT early Christmas present, and the sheer disbelief that followed as I couldn’t physically walk down from the top tier and so just collapsed into a phone call across the pitch with my brother & nephew.
  • An excellent Boxing Day trip with another brother, courtesy of the previous brother & nephew, with ridiculous hot chocolates thrown in for good measure.
  • Going berserk in that pub again, this time against Blue Manchester, and this time with people actually appreciating it.
  • The pride and joy that emanated from both those games, regardless of the result.
  • Being able to sit down in a room in Iceland, over 48 hours after the event, and watch the entire 90 minutes of our game against Sunderland, with all the confusion, disbelief, and utter nonsense that came with it.
  • The frustration at not being able to travel back for the Sheffield Wednesday game due to snow, but also how that was rendered meaningless as I got to listen to it in a brand new flat with someone I love.
  • All the marvellous food, and fun, and chats, and jokes, and general merriment along the way, provided by excellent sisters, brothers, nephews, nieces, friends, and strangers.

As I say, I hope you’ll look back with similar memories, one day.

It has given many fans the benefit of hindsight. Players haven’t helped but they were far from unproven footballers. It hasn’t worked out. Play the players that got us here and hope we can still be in with a shout of playoffs come Sheff U at home. 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Less than none. We'd be better off if we'd done no business at all and not upset the balance. 

The winter window is a notoriously difficult time to recruit players and what some of the fans wanted in the window was clearly a long off from what the club wanted. Now I happen to have faith in the professionals who make these transfer decisions and pay little or no attention to the fans opinions.

MA made the statement "we are not chasing promotion"  which explains perfectly why there was so little activity in the window.

I have no problem with that.

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The winter window is a notoriously difficult time to recruit players and what some of the fans wanted in the window was clearly a long off from what the club wanted. Now I happen to have faith in the professionals who make these transfer decisions and pay little or no attention to the fans opinions.

MA made the statement "we are not chasing promotion"  which explains perfectly why there was so little activity in the window.

You have no problem with not chasing promotion, when we were 2nd in late December? Where is your ambition? 

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Then why bother signing any of them? surely MA and LJ bought those players in because they (totally wrongly) thought they would improve the squad. In fact I recall them saying that they had been scouting Diony for some time. He is so unbelievably poor it’s almost like Pete Johnson is back on scouting duties. 

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

Another useless January transfer window thread.

To many 'fans' playing to much football manager making them ' experts' on transfer windows!!

Yep. How many editions of this thread are we on now?

It was rubbish, we all get it. We don't need a new thread on it every day.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I'm fine with that. It doesn't paper over the nose-dive in performance though. 

6 hours ago, where's the joy said:

now for the price of 3 players could we have bought one lewis grabban who would have got us goals and gotten us into the play off lottery.

So true ..... same old quantity over quality. 

Its down to the mindset at the very , very top   ...... buy three Mondeos that are within the monthly budget rather than one BMW!!!!! 

7 hours ago, where's the joy said:

ok so our season died when wolves equalised in the december home game.

we haven't been right since for any length of time in a game; except possibly a really poor Shef Wed and an in your face smash up of Fulham.

we brought in 3 players in the window and none of them have improved the squad far less the team. so what was all that about?

two are technically gifted but either have little pace or too much and the bull plays with such pent up fury you cant see a second touch let alone a first touch when the ball gets played to him. maybe he's on too many red bulls before the game, but he has looked really poor since arriving.

we will never know and so this season will be remembered only for what might have been

No, because the club made it clear we weren’t going to chase promotion by going after a marquee signing.

7 hours ago, RedYoshi said:

That’s a shame you feel that way. Hopefully you’ll find some joy in it somewhere.

For instance, these are just a few of the things for which I'll remember this season:

• Celebrating with wild incredulity as we went 3-0 up in the first 30 minutes of the season.
  • The carnage & ecstasy that followed Reid’s last minute equaliser at Brentford.
  • Flint’s winner at Reading, where I was convinced we’d come away with nothing, and had to triple check it was actually our centre back with that finish.
  • Experiencing twelve different emotions simultaneously in under 4 minutes at the end of our match away at Wolves.
  • Thinking that Bryan’s goal against Crystal Palace was the icing on the cake of a tremendous match, only to be proven wrong within minutes by O’Dowda.
  • Embarking on a rather ludicrous journey up to Hull, to then question why we’d bothered, before experiencing that wonderful comeback and demolishing my knee in the process.
  • Going berserk in my local pub in London as we scored the winner against Sheffield Utd, with onlookers barely realising there was a football match happening.
  • The mad dash from London to Bristol, for THAT early Christmas present, and the sheer disbelief that followed as I couldn’t physically walk down from the top tier and so just collapsed into a phone call across the pitch with my brother & nephew.
  • An excellent Boxing Day trip with another brother, courtesy of the previous brother & nephew, with ridiculous hot chocolates thrown in for good measure.
  • Going berserk in that pub again, this time against Blue Manchester, and this time with people actually appreciating it.
  • The pride and joy that emanated from both those games, regardless of the result.
  • Being able to sit down in a room in Iceland, over 48 hours after the event, and watch the entire 90 minutes of our game against Sunderland, with all the confusion, disbelief, and utter nonsense that came with it.
  • The frustration at not being able to travel back for the Sheffield Wednesday game due to snow, but also how that was rendered meaningless as I got to listen to it in a brand new flat with someone I love.
  • All the marvellous food, and fun, and chats, and jokes, and general merriment along the way, provided by excellent sisters, brothers, nephews, nieces, friends, and strangers.

As I say, I hope you’ll look back with similar memories, one day.

:clap::clap::clap:

(How's the knee?)

50 minutes ago, Bobby Bollax said:

It doesn’t work like that in the real world. Players aren’t bought from warehouse shelves. When will fans learn this...

Probably when clubs show us when they royally **** up transfers and recruitment, and get it horribly wrong, and get shafted, and all the pitfalls, as well as shout from the roof tops when they get it absolutely right (Tammy). So, in other words, fans will never learn.

I think Walsh has plenty of potential. I agree the other two have massivey disappointed. I also agree potential is not what we needed in January so without doubt it was a very poor window. We needed players to go straight in the team to cover injuries. 

Nobody was complaining in January aside from the RB position not being filled, in fact most people were saying make sure we don't disrupt the team ("DNA") by bringing in too many players!

I think the club did the right thing, albeit the players didn't work out this time around.

I love the fact that we've had about half a million posts slating it since. Hindsight in a beautiful thing - fickle bar-stewards.

15 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Nobody was complaining in January aside from the RB position not being filled, in fact most people were saying make sure we don't disrupt the team ("DNA") by bringing in too many players!

I think the club did the right thing, albeit the players didn't work out this time around.

I love the fact that we've had about half a million posts slating it since. Hindsight in a beautiful thing - fickle bar-stewards.

I think that there were few complaints in January about the signings as few, if any, people had actually seen them play. We all had to accept at face value what we were told by the club. Once people began to see the players in action the negative comments began to flow 

Archived