IGNORED

The Bristol City v Ipswich Town Match Day Thread 38

I wonder if this could be the last time a thread is entitled with the name Ipswich Town included within. Suffolk County Council seem set on a path to take the fair saxon town of Ipswich to city status although should that be awarded by our monarch it likely would not happen until her platinum jubilee in 2022. The popular myth for city status to be either bestowed or exist is for a settlement to have a cathedral; this requirement ceased to be in the mid 19th century having been enacted in the 16th century by Henry VIII. Ipswich City is no more incongruous that Swansea City which, prior to 1969, was called Swansea Town. This was the last time a football club changed its name to reflect the change in status of the settlement in which it was located. Since then Derby, Sunderland, Wolverhampton, Brighton, Preston and Chelmsford have all become cities. In a recent poll 60% of local residents thought the councils idea to apply for city status for Ipswich was wrong. Money wasting and time wasting being cited as two reasons to drop the idea. I wonder though if city status might propel the club more into the limelight, attract more investment into the new city and perhaps the club and send it again toward the top flight of English football. It did not seem to do Swansea too much harm and Derby, Wolves, Brighton and Preston are all doing fairly well in the history of their clubs. A spark perhaps for the elevation of all things civic and sporting.

Conversely Bristol has long held city status, since 1542 in fact, although it is by no means the earliest. Today's cathedral was founded in 1140 and consecrated in 1148. It was originally St Augustine's Abbey but after the Dissolution of the Monasteries it became the seat of the newly created Bishop of Bristol and the cathedral of the new Diocese of Bristol after Henry VIII's break with the Pope and the dissolution of the monasteries, the formerly monastic cathedrals were "re-founded" with secular canons. 

The south west, of which I include Salisbury, is bestowed with some of the finest medieval monastic architecture in the land. The cathedral cities of Salisbury, Exeter Gloucester and Wells, particularly, come to mind. There is something remarkably whole and humbling to walk amongst these hallowed yet magnificent structures and while city status no longer requires a cathedral the very existence of one creates an aura, a resonance and a stability to the place. Bristol is very fortunate to have such medieval status; something that can and should anchor the success of our sports teams now that we have the structure to support them. Ipswich will never have that, at least not for many centuries to come. I think the majority of its residents understand that and this is reflected in their refusal to endorse the idea of the council; call it psychological without necessarily understanding the historic significance. And call football a religion without understanding what it means, like they do in Liverpool, then maybe the inside of a place of worship like Bristol Cathedral can also become Ashton Gate.

5aac8662cbedb_Bristol_Cathedral_Choir_1_Bristol_UK_-_Diliff.thumb.jpg.11c59719bc7ab67fc1d005b3f6131cfb.jpg

A factor for not playing Ipswich TOWN again comes with promotion. I rank our chances somewhere near where the bookies are I think; around 20% which seems to factor in there are 5 teams left with a fighting chance of 6th place; down to Millwall one might suggest. And, equally considered, our diabolical run of form which might otherwise place our percentage forecast at closer to 50%. So why has our form collapsed and, more importantly, can it be arrested in time? Nine matches left, historical data considered, three points adrift all suggest we probably need 6 wins out of 9. True enough Hull City went on a late charge under Phil Brown 10 years ago and that is what it will likely take for us but you have to consider the wily Tony Pulis at Boro. Rarely do I make predictions and in the hope I am proven wrong I think our trajectory remains downward albeit with temporary arrests to that slide with occasional but insufficient wins, today perhaps being one of them. 

All in all it will not be through lack of support from the City faithful. The feeling I get is the City board did not really want promotion this season, or is that just them trying to take the pressure off? If it is, and it somehow works, then more the credit to them for pulling a genie out of the bottle in these next 9 games. A solid, decent season will have become truly magnificent. Enjoy the match everybody. 

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 8
41 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I wonder if this could be the last time a thread is entitled with the name Ipswich Town included within. Suffolk County Council seem set on a path to take the fair saxon town of Ipswich to city status although should that be awarded by our monarch it likely would not happen until her platinum jubilee in 2022. The popular myth for city status to be either bestowed or exist is for a settlement to have a cathedral; this requirement ceased to be in the mid 19th century having been enacted in the 16th century by Henry VIII. Ipswich City is no more incongruous that Swansea City which, prior to 1969, was called Swansea Town. This was the last time a football club changed its name to reflect the change in status of the settlement in which it was located. Since then Derby, Sunderland, Wolverhampton, Brighton, Preston and Chelmsford have all become cities. In a recent poll 60% of local residents thought the councils idea to apply for city status for Ipswich was wrong. Money wasting and time wasting being cited as two reasons to drop the idea. I wonder though if city status might propel the club more into the limelight, attract more investment into the new city and perhaps the club and send it again toward the top flight of English football. It did not seem to do Swansea too much harm and Derby, Wolves, Brighton and Preston are all doing fairly well in the history of their clubs. A spark perhaps for the elevation of all things civic and sporting.

Conversely Bristol has long held city status, since 1542 in fact, although it is by no means the earliest. Today's cathedral was founded in 1140 and consecrated in 1148. It was originally St Augustine's Abbey but after the Dissolution of the Monasteries it became the seat of the newly created Bishop of Bristol and the cathedral of the new Diocese of Bristol after Henry VIII's break with the Pope and the dissolution of the monasteries, the formerly monastic cathedrals were "re-founded" with secular canons. 

The south west, of which I include Salisbury, is bestowed with some of the finest medieval monastic architecture in the land. The cathedral cities of Salisbury, Exeter Gloucester and Wells, particularly, come to mind. There is something remarkably whole and humbling to walk amongst these hallowed yet magnificent structures and while city status no longer requires a cathedral the very existence of one creates an aura, a resonance and a stability to the place. Bristol is very fortunate to have such medieval status; something that can and should anchor the success of our sports teams now that we have the structure to support them. Ipswich will never have that, at least not for many centuries to come. I think the majority of its residents understand that and this is reflected in their refusal to endorse the idea of the council; call it psychological without necessarily understanding the historic significance. And call football a religion without understanding what it means, like they do in Liverpool, then maybe the inside of a place of worship like Bristol Cathedral can also become Ashton Gate.

5aac8662cbedb_Bristol_Cathedral_Choir_1_Bristol_UK_-_Diliff.thumb.jpg.11c59719bc7ab67fc1d005b3f6131cfb.jpg

A factor for not playing Ipswich TOWN again comes with promotion. I rank our chances somewhere near where the bookies are I think; around 20% which seems to factor in there are 5 teams left with a fighting chance of 6th place; down to Millwall one might suggest. And, equally considered, our diabolical run of form which might otherwise place our percentage forecast at closer to 50%. So why has our form collapsed and, more importantly, can it be arrested in time? Nine matches left, historical data considered, three points adrift all suggest we probably need 6 wins out of 9. True enough Hull City went on a late charge under Phil Brown 10 years ago and that is what it will likely take for us but you have to consider the wily Tony Pulis at Boro. Rarely do I make predictions and in the hope I am proven wrong I think our trajectory remains downward albeit with temporary arrests to that slide with occasional but insufficient wins, today perhaps being one of them. 

All in all it will not be through lack of support from the City faithful. The feeling I get is the City board did not really want promotion this season, or is that just them trying to take the pressure off? If it is, and it somehow works, then more the credit to them for pulling a genie out of the bottle in these next 9 games. A solid, decent season will have become truly magnificent. Enjoy the match everybody. 

That's my own gut feeling-they didn't want it.................................yet.

If they think that they can pick and choose and will have the right to be up there again next season...dream away.

Edited by Robert the bruce
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Our promotion chances are more like 5%. 20% of getting in the play offs and then 1/4ths again if we make it.

As for the line about a failed promotion bid wont be through a lack of support from the City faithful- with talks of boycotts and protests, I totally disagree.

1-1 and our chances receed further.

The draws no good-and this one has 'draw written all over it...

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Condensed Version

Ipswich:

Nice pic

2-0 City

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Our promotion chances are more like 5%. 20% of getting in the play offs and then 1/4ths again if we make it.

As for the line about a failed promotion bid wont be through a lack of support from the City faithful- with talks of boycotts and protests, I totally disagree.

1-1 and our chances receed further.

You could be right. Are these boycotts more than hot air and justified though? Perhaps yes. 

15 minutes ago, Tiree said:

As always, informative thank you. To say twill be a 'solid and decent'  season is a massive understatement and shows no appreciation for the improvements in all aspects of the club over the past year. 

As for calling City fans faithful we will see by the number of STs sold and the travelling  support at Barnsley! 

2-1 today comfortable then squeaky last 5mins

CoYRs 

I think the majority of City fans believe we've blown it , add in the perceived injustice of the increase in ticket prices and the solidarity required for a promotion push is wobbly to say the least.

Why on earth are next season's ticket on sale already ? 

I don't buy the argument that progress has been made . The facts are that for three months we have been in relegation form and need to pull out of this nosedive today . No excuses. Do or die.

We have some injured players back who could make a difference.

We can still do this .

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Nice pic. The similarities with the new Dolman concourse are indeed striking! 

Nothing like the Dolman. In the cathedral there is somewhere to sit and somewhere to put your drink. They probably sell chips as well

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

3 points of the playoffs

9 games still to play

5 of them at home 

we still have to play boro,blades,Millwall, 

players returning from injuries 

i cant believe people are waiting our season off!!

Coyr or as my mate would say ctid.

Totally agree . How can we accuse the club or players of giving up if we do exactly that ?? I for one want to look in the mirror on 6th May knowing that I didn't give up. I won't be sat there with my arms folded and my bottom lip touching the floor for the rest of the season ! 

2-0 Ipswich.

Bobby snaps his ACL in the third minute.

Dennis in Dolman A block shits himself and the whole stand has to be evacuated. 

Skuse beats 3 players and puts it in the top corner, and Garner gets Fielding sent off when he wins and converts a penalty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
33 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

2-0 Ipswich.

Bobby snaps his ACL in the third minute.

Dennis in Dolman A block shits himself and the whole stand has to be evacuated. 

Skuse beats 3 players and puts it in the top corner, and Garner gets Fielding sent off when he wins and converts a penalty.

Out for the rest of the season apparently.

Will have to find another pantomime villian

Edited by AppyDAZE
7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Gloucester cathedral is the bollocks.

16 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

Gloucester cathedral is the bollocks.

Liverpool Cathedral in Liverpool is fantastic as a modern example of Scouse religious architecture.

The Catholics really upped their game when they moved to the new building in the seventies.

I believe that old Cathedrals are just not up to the demands of modern religion even though the atmosphere in these edifices is superior.