IGNORED

The Bristol City v Ipswich Town Match Day Thread 38

FT, pretty dire performance overall. Thank goodness for a decent cross from Kelly and Djuric's heading ability.

However, make no mistake this was papering over the cracks. Smith and Fammy were both dire,  Pato & Brownhill ineffective. I would give Kelly our MoM, no nonsense defending and the assist for the goal, Pack, Reid and Mags also came out with credit - but overall we were poor, as were Ipswich.

8 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

FT, pretty dire performance overall. Thank goodness for a decent cross from Kelly and Djuric's heading ability.

However, make no mistake this was papering over the cracks. Smith and Fammy were both dire,  Pato & Brownhill ineffective. I would give Kelly our MoM, no nonsense defending and the assist for the goal, Pack, Reid and Mags also came out with credit - but overall we were poor, as were Ipswich.

If we can keep any cracks papered over for another 11 games that’ll do me.

• Like 1

I am quite happy to consign this result into the ‘result more important than performance category’ but anyone who believes that we are contenders on this form is sadly mistaken.

This is what I said at half time and it is true, We play nice one touch football up until the halfway line and then totally run out of ideas and then revert to a ‘chuckle brothers’ style of ‘to me, to you, to me, to you, oops it’s been intercepted’, we even tried that tactic on the edge of our own box a couple of times.

A classic example of this was on 82 minutes, we had a free kick in a reasonably advanced position and we have a giant to aim at in the box and Pack gives Smith a sideways pass which was behind him, Smith slips and has to take a yellow to stop them breaking away, get into the ******* box FFS, we need some creativity and a leader who can organise better and more practice at crossing and free kicks.

No invention, no penetration, poor crossing, poor decision making, we have not created a single chance.

Diedhiou was awful and rightly replaced, Kelly by far the MOM and great to see one good cross in a game.

As for Paterson yet another master class in mediocrity, I don’t think LJ is doing him any favours by continuing to play him, he is defensively a liability and is offering nothing going forward.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Well done lads . 

:clap:

Badly needed win . I don't care that it wasn't pretty.

About blooming time we came out on top.

Respect to the Red Army on this foul day .

Get home safely.

100% this.

As I said in the week, we’ve not come out on the right side of this type of game very often - if at all - since Christmas.

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I am quite happy to consign this result into the ‘result more important than performance category’ but anyone who believes that we are contenders on this form is sadly mistaken.

This is what I said at half time and it is true, We play nice one touch football up until the halfway line and then totally run out of ideas and then revert to a ‘chuckle brothers’ style of ‘to me, to you, to me, to you, oops it’s been intercepted’, we even tried that tactic on the edge of our own box a couple of times.

A classic example of this was on 82 minutes, we had a free kick in a reasonably advanced position and we have a giant to aim at in the box and Pack gives Smith a sideways pass which was behind him, Smith slips and has to take a yellow to stop them breaking away, get into the ******* box FFS, we need some creativity and a leader who can organise better and more practice at crossing and free kicks.

No invention, no penetration, poor crossing, poor decision making, we have not created a single chance.

Diedhiou was awful and rightly replaced, Kelly by far the MOM and great to see one good cross in a game.

As for Paterson yet another master class in mediocrity, I don’t think LJ is doing him any favours by continuing to play him, he is defensively a liability and is offering nothing going forward.

Not arguing against your analysis (I wasn’t there) but we have to be a contender for a top six finish when we’re 1 point off 5th at this stage of the season, especially with rivals also dropping points regularly.

Contenders for actual promotion might be more of a stretch.

Also worth pointing out that last five home games have brought 3 wins and 2 draws, not quite the “appalling” form some would have you believe. The away form specifically would seem to be the issue. If we can pick up a couple of wins on the road who knows what might happen. Maybe just maybe we will rediscover the performance level we know this team are capable of.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Felt like Norwich, just today we scored and they didn’t, if that makes any sense.

Smith I thought oddly out of sorts as well. Thought we were a bit better in truth second half, but yea, not great. We need our mojo back, but sometimes a scrappy win can do that. Hoping anyway.

10 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Derby seem to be the ones to catch now. 

Their next 2 games are against Cardiff and Preston = No more than 2 points IMO

Ours against Barnsley and Brentford = 3-4 points perhaps.

Could be a good opportunity to jump ahead of them by the end of Easter Monday?

You are missing Sunderland in the middle unfortunately

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Not arguing against your analysis (I wasn’t there) but we have to be a contender for a top six finish when we’re 1 point off 5th at this stage of the season, especially with rivals also dropping points regularly.

Contenders for actual promotion might be more of a stretch.

Also worth pointing out that last five home games have brought 3 wins and 2 draws, not quite the “appalling” form some would have you believe. The away form specifically would seem to be the issue. If we can pick up a couple of wins on the road who knows what might happen. Maybe just maybe we will rediscover the performance level we know this team are capable of.

13 points from 13 games since January 1st, that is appalling form and worse than that we look totally disorganised and lacking in creativity, but most worrying is that the midfield for me which had been a strength up until the turn of the year look as though they have never played together.

Don't get me wrong I am genuinely happy with our position in this league for a change, to be honest my biggest disappointment is overwhelmingly our poor transfer business in January, I believe that we missed a chance to significantly improve our squad and have totally failed, we should have been looking at players who were signed to consolidate our lofty position and we failed.

31 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Well done, Robins!

Bad first half, but City grew in the second one, earning three deserved points. Good to have some players back too (shame for Mags, though), and today LJ made the right choices.

There's still hope. :fingerscrossed:

Results went for us today , could do with a Cardiff win tomorrow and puts in a good position for final run in 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

13 points from 13 games since January 1st, that is appalling form and worse than that we look totally disorganised and lacking in creativity, but most worrying is that the midfield for me which had been a strength up until the turn of the year look as though they have never played together.

Don't get me wrong I am genuinely happy with our position in this league for a change, to be honest my biggest disappointment is overwhelmingly our poor transfer business in January, I believe that we missed a chance to significantly improve our squad and have totally failed, we should have been looking at players who were signed to consolidate our lofty position and we failed.

7 points from the last four games.  Promotion form.

• Like 1